What Amazes Me!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Oldhand, Mar 25, 2008.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I didnt know it until I tested. Too bad. Lesson learnt. ;)

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

At top speed of 170mph you could drive right across Holland, from The Hague to Enschede, in and hour and a quarter! ;)

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    So, what do they call Quarter Pounder with cheese in Holland? :p

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I'm sure the mileage on this thing wouldn't even get you across :D (especially when stuck in traffic for half of the journey). What a ridiculous price but nothing we're not used to by now :rolleyes:.
    :eek: Was going to say I'd much rather get a Nissan GT-R for that money but it's €120.000 over here :D (double the Japanese price). Guess it would have to be a BMW .... as for US cars the only one I'd ever buy is a Corvette but it would probably be cheaper to buy a house in the US and get one there then it is to just buy the car over here [​IMG].

http://www.mcdonalds.nl/wps/wcm/con.../Producten/Burgers+en+Nuggets/Quarter+Pounder :D With our pirate language we don't translate anything anymore :p. Even 'downloading' is downloaden instead of herunterladen or télécharger. No Royale wiz cheese over here ;).

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Love the McD's Dutch website. :) It is 90% english!
    But from that other 10%, I wonder: Can I get a "Zonnatura Knijpfruit of Danoontje Snack" with my Happy Meal here in Canada? :confused:;)

6. extremenanopowe

Scary isn't it? In Taiwan many people having it for 5 years. Recently a lady claimed to have cancer because of this and is suing them.

TAIPEI: 32-year-old Huang Jen Chieh thinks she may be a victim of the plasticiser DEHP. Recently diagnosed with cancer, she suspects it is caused by the contaminated enzyme she has been taking for seven years.

She said: "At first I thought it was a (safe) food product because it had FDA certification, so I was really surprised to find out this could cause cancer."

While there is no direct evidence that links her cancer to DEHP, her case is causing panic across the island.

That is because Yu Sheng, the company responsible for the scare, is Taiwan's biggest supplier of emulsifier - a food additive often used in fruit juice, jelly and sports drink.

Media reports said it has been selling the plasticiser as a food additive for five years. More than 300 tons have been sold mostly in Taiwan and overseas.

Shiu Ming Neng, Deputy Director General of Taiwan's Food and Drug Administration, said: "Affected countries include the US, Hong Kong and China. Plasticiser made by Yu Sheng has been shipped to the Philippines and Vietnam."

Products by big names in Taiwan like King Car, HeySong and Taiwan Sugar have been found to be tainted and the contamination is spreading from beverages to children's vitamins.

Stores across the island are frantically pulling products off the shelves but that is not enough to assure the public as some have started expressing concern about Taiwan's food safety measures.

Taiwan's health authorities said the contamination should be contained in a few days, but the damage done to public confidence in Taiwan's food safety, at home and abroad, may not be restored for a long time to come.

-CNA/ac
    ---------------
    SINGAPORE: BRAND's is voluntarily recalling all batches of its Alpha Tank Chewable Multi Vitamins & Minerals.

This is in light of the recent notification by the Taiwan Department of Health last week regarding the use of a non-permitted ingredient in the manufacture of food additives.

BRAND'S has been advised that DEHP, which is not an approved food ingredient was found in raw materials purchased by Cerebos Taiwan's OEM manufacturer, Prince Pharmaceutical Company Limited.

So, it has decided to take the precautionary measure.

No other BRAND'S products distributed in Singapore are affected.

Consumers should stop taking the product and those who have purchased or have in their possession BRAND'S Alpha Tank Chewable Multi Vitamins & Minerals are advised to exchange them, opened or unopened, for a full refund.

Consumers can call BRAND's Customer Care Line at 1800-7324748 or visit its website at www.brandsworld.com.sg for more details.

- CNA/cc

-------------------
    SINGAPORE: The Health Sciences Authority (HSA) has found thyroid gland and thyroid hormones, which are controlled substances, in a health product called Metabolic Advantage.

It is labelled as a complementary health product and marketed to enhance thyroid health and support weight loss.

Thyroid gland and thyroid hormones are potent substances which can cause adverse effects when consumed without medical supervision.

Symptoms include headaches, anxiety, palpitations and increased blood pressure.

So far, no serious cases have been reported to HSA.

As the product has been marketed locally in retail shops, HSA advises members of the public to stop consuming it.

Metabolic Advantage is distributed locally by M/S Fu Fong Trading Pte Ltd/Protos Trading Pte Ltd and manufactured by Enzymatic Therapy in the United States.

Following HSA's directions, the distributor has since withdrawn all remaining stocks of the product from the affected retail shops.

Thyroid gland and thyroid hormones are substances which are controlled under the Poisons Act and should only be obtained with a doctor's prescription.

Complementary health products are not allowed to contain Western medicinal ingredients or substances controlled under the Poisons Act.

Anyone convicted under the Poisons Act can be fined up to S$10,000 and/or jailed up to two years.

- CNA/ir
    --------------

7. extremenanopowe

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D This also amazes me. I've mentioned him before somewhere in this forum and now months later he has made the "news" ;)

Kiekens_872498i.jpg

Grown man in cosplay (well sorta :p), maybe I should've put it in "all things japanese" :D. Apparently he has the wants to be treated as a baby fetish :s

#228 demolidor, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
  10. extremenanopowe

Mathematician: How do you write 4 in between 5?
    Chinese : Is this a joke?
    Japanese : Impossible!
    American : The question ' s all wrong!
    British : It ' s not found on the Internet
    And the Indian
    Indian: F(IV)E
    This is the reason Indians are everywhere in the world: in finance, business, medicine, engineering.... anything to do with using both sides of the brain. Going viral. ;)

11. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

News from the world of medicine

-Canadian Medical Association Journal
    Effect of marriage on duration of chest pain associated with acute myocardial infarction before seeking care
    Clare L. Atzema MD MSc, Peter C. Austin PhD, Thao Huynh MD MSc, Ansar Hassan MD PhD, Maria Chiu MSc,
    Julie T. Wang MSc, Jack V. Tu MD PhD

Interpretation: Among men experiencing acute myocardial infarction with chest pain, being married was associated with significantly earlier presentation for care, a benefit that was not observed for married women.

There has to be a punchline for this far-too-easy-to-believe medical finding.
    "Hold your horses, Irene! I'll drive you to the flippin' hospital as soon as the game is over."

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

01-2011-cadillac-cts-v-wagon-black-diamond-chicago-2011630opt.jpg

US MSRP ~$70,500 (~€49,500) - Local price €164.471,-. (and a few thousand more no doubt for the above particular Black Diamond edition) (~$234,000) [​IMG] (of which ~€95.000 = various tax; you just know there is going to be a rather large difference on this one "Gas Guzzler Tax $1,300" :D)

13. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    Ok, I think I need to go back to school to be re-educated, lol.

[video=youtube;a0VDhQfORvc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0VDhQfORvc[/video]

14. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
    Lol, what a greedy parrot will do for tidbits.

[video=youtube;iqQPvSj5Ido]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=iqQPvSj5Ido[/video]

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

[video=youtube;27jsHpg3egA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=27jsHpg3egA[/video]

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

17. phil-mm

phil-mm Regular Member

None
  18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

What amazes me is one second I'm watching a Flyers behind the scenes dressing room celebration and the next this is a related vid :D: Buying beer with cash after a couple of devaluations in Belarus :p with notes of the smallest denominations: 10's & 20's (what also amazes me is the size of the bottles :eek:)

[video=youtube;kf-dbQL6HKQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf-dbQL6HKQ&feature=endscreen&NR=1[/video]

And subsequently featured on the news:

[video=youtube;u__jWNmgzYw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=u__jWNmgzYw[/video]

#238 demolidor, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  19. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

What amazes me ....
    .... is that the International Quidditch Association has had a youtube channel longer than the BWF! :eek:

[video=youtube;ZdD5MHafxFo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdD5MHafxFo&feature=BFa&list=UUuuweCPKJr3w-KhmT42L-KQ&lf=plcp[/video]

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow....:eek::D
    [video=youtube;pRDBDPtqckw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRDBDPtqckw[/video]