Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Interesting theory this. Unlikely but not impossible. He's obviously patriotic but planning for the future and as he's nearing retirement and perhaps hoping to be a father I'm sure making as much money as he can to support his family would be more important to him now than his country - even though he's not short of a dollar or two already. As with many contracts, there's usually a "get out clause" somewhere... so although I honestly don't see him moving away from LN, I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Of all the Chinese players, I'd like to see FHF re-sponsored by Yonex again and make that snail pace 4XXkph smash record look amature! lol

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha that would be funny - Yonex would surely go haywire if they could get him to smash in those tests and find out just how much faster he can thunder the shuttle down than their previous mascots :D
    I really really doubt LD is gonna leave LN, I mean he already gets a lot of money from them, and it's not like he really needs to earn another cent to ensure his and his family's financial well-being...he already is a millionaire and if push came to shove could easily reduce his running costs by selling one or two things that run them high (like a Ferrari, for example :D).
    That being said, I don't see him losing too much income, he's still a megastar in China. Coming to think of it, his Badminton equipment sponsorship is probably not even that much of his total income, he does a lot of other advertisements as well....so any company hoping to get him away from LN would have to dig very deep to make a real impact to make him consider it.

3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Patriotism can only go so far...ever heard of a rich gal/guy who said I have enough money so don't give me more or I do not want to make more money? Rich people doesn't give/throw money away, neither they stop wanting to get more, it is the exact opposite. Only fools do.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thing is that his image is crucial, if he is suddenly not the patriotic Chinese anymore he might actually lose a few contracts with other companies as public view of him changes...so it's more than just his personal feelings that play a role in this...

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

It's all just rumours at the moment, seems like it includes Victor now too. Nothing concrete though.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I really really doubt he's gonna go with another brand. Pretty sure the Badminton Association will do their best to prevent it as well - the only Chinese player I know who split from the Ntl team sponsor is Chen Hong, and look how his career developed after that! :D

8. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I am beginning to think 2cents got it right with LD and LYB's clash on sponsorship money. If that was the case, we are deprived of great badminton by LYB's management style.

9. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Dear Fans:

I would like to check is Lin Dan start using N90 III White already ?

10. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Hi Lin Dan Fans: I heard that China team players although are sponsor by Li ning , but lin dan is still using Yonex string BG 65 , is it truth ?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I haven't visited this thread for a long time. What 2cents wrote is quite plausible.

i remember a long time back, Dong Jiong and Sun Jun also wanted to get a better percentage of prize money. Basically, Li Yong Bo threw them out of the team. Sun Jun got back in but not Dong Jiong.

I am keeping an open mind on Lin Dan. I do think he's got something going on with sponsorship. :) Watch the gossip fly when something is announced.

I find it incredible he was able to win the world championship and think it was a great way to show LYB up. If Chen Long wasn't around, LYB would be in a real problem for TC.

This information puts me into doubt whether we will see LD in TC.

I have sympathy for LD. Didn't he follow team orders all the time including givng up the 2003 world championships semifinal.

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

LYB is a control freak.
    Just look at the talents left or decided can't work with him while he is in charge of the team.
    Li Lingwei, Li Mao, Han Jian, Yang Yang, Zhao Jianhua to name just a few

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    LD will have nothing to lose by going to another sponsor since he has already been frozen out by LYB ;)

14. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Wait, wait.
    LD has been kicked out of the china national team by LYB?! If yes, when did this happened? :eek:
    How can I have missed this news? *lol*

If it's like that, so he really has nothing to lose. I mean, he was forced to be sponsored by Li-Ning, but who said LD likes the owner of Li-Ning?

The only thing why he wouldn't go for Victor is, that Victor is from taiwan. And if he's a real real true patriot, he won't sign a contract with them *lol*. Well, on the other side, Yonex is from Japan. :eek:

Whatever, I'm interested in the sources for all these rumours.

15. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Its ridiculous , Lin Dan is good relationship with Lee Yong Bo la ... He like him..

16. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    LD would get the 3rd point for CHN in TC. Without LD, KOR has a good chance of taking her 1st TC, if LHI plays and LD not. Even JAP can pull an upset.

17. Ferrerkiko

audit assistant
    Hi Guys: Is Lin dan still using BG 65 string ?

18. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    With all of the talks regarding patriotism, if i were LD; I would start my own badminton brand instead. It would sell really well in China for sure and the rest of the world would did well too, if the quality is there. Not to mention how much sponsorship money will it safe by having LD on board.

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    He is still playing and don't think CBA or LYB allows it.

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    if lindan going to start his brand,he cant continue to play
    if lindan want to continue to play,then he cant start his brand
    your choice?