Canadian National Team Players' Websites/Blogs

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by towbsss, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Congrats for the mixed doubles title and commiserations on the men's doubles. Looked like it was a long match.

2. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Surely your result in Men's Doubles should prompt the selectors to think again about their selection? You proved capable enough to provide a substantial challenge, and could have won the match.

And do you get extra funding now, cause Grace won both events?

Congratulations regardless:) I'm sure you had to let your brother win something:p

3. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    Yes, for sure. Chris Adcock and Imogen Bankier are doing pretty well though :) They are one of my favourite teams on the circuit :D

Haha thanks Cheung! They had live streaming at livestream.com/badmintonlife, but I will be uploading a copy of all the matches very shortly :) The MD match was definitely quite interesting and we had a good time playing as well! Will post here when it's up!

4. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    Thanks! Yeah, I did make the team. It was between us and this other team with team that gets to go that makes it further in the draw. The other team from Quebec lost in the QFs to Pang/Guiffre so we were pretty much set a couple of days ago. It was nice to challenge the top MD team in Canada though :) I'm not just a Mixed player :p We got some good prize money and a bonus from Yonex though, so that will definitely help as I'm looking to get a new computer. That way I can do some more video editing and make more badminton videos ;)

5. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    Here are all the matches I filmed. Filming at the Glencoe Club is terrible as the back wall is REALLY close to the back of the court, but I did what I could :p I only have my 2 semifinal matches and all 5 finals. Enjoy :)

XD SF: Ng/Gao vs. Li/Bourret
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBkzz8uKV2w

MD SF: Vandervet/Ng vs. Lau/Campbell
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKnfu6XBYxo

XD F: Ng/Gao vs. Ng/Bruce
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc_Uzqmb76U

WS F: Li vs. Ko
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYbO70t9U0U

MS F: Pang vs. Milroy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPAzQUlir9g

WD F: Ko/Gao vs. Bruce/Li
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmNnHVcLedg

MD F: Liu/Ng vs. Vandervet/Ng
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P8qZQxdR2U

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

For the upcoming All England: With a little luck in qualifying, am I right in reading that Toby could be facing brother Derrick in the first round of XD?
    (Vita Marissa not going to roll over easily in qualifiers, though)

7. Smarhiel

Smarhiel Regular Member

Student
    Your right.Looks like our MD gotten really unlucky with the draw, facing Cai Yun and Fu HaiFeng in the 1st round

8. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Who? :confused: Never heard of them! Probably just a couple rookies -- no problem for our Canadian boys! ;)

9. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    Possibly I could face my brother, but those are some tough rounds as Grace and I lost to the Korean team in the 2011 Korea Grand Prix Gold :p It'd be a good warm up for his Doubles though :)

All Thomas/Uber Cup footage I have has been uploaded to my YouTube Channel if you haven't seen them yet!

http://www.youtube.com/towbsss

Also, a big thanks to those from BadmintonCentral who took photos of us :)

10. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Hope you guys are enjoying your time in London , tough draw for your brother but you and Grace got some qualifiers which can either be good or bad .. good luck and hope to see you winning a few matches.

11. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Joking aside ; Thats the attitude you should have on court !

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Good job on court today, towbsss!! Canada is proud of your efforts!

13. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    1st round defeat against a qualifier is not ideal in preparation for the Olympic , but the score indicated a nice effort you have put in . The standard nowadays is very high , especially those Asian internationals . Not seen the match but hopefully you will have it on video.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Quite okay to lose against Setiawan :D He's only a qualifier because he's got a new partner again...

15. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    They just got smashed by Fischer and Pedersen. At top level, a good working partnership is as important as skills & class ,

16. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Hendra/Vita just got whacked by JFN/CP big time...

17. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Thanks Toby for those Yonex all England videos. You and Grace played well in the 2nd game ! Too many mistakes from the fore court in the beginning of 3rd , that what costed you the match. However, I seen your brother video as well, and they have some talent and there are alot of positive . Against Cai/Fu , Derrick and Adrian done particularly well , they put up a great fight ! From what I seen , top WR of 10-15 can be in their reach. They might not take a game from Cai/Fu but not many can (maybe one of the top10 pairing), however , the score should be closer to reflect from what was displayed on the court. I hope they can take the positives out of the game against the World champions and build on from there !

#177 Staiger1, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  18. kennee

kennee Regular Member

Pro Badminton Daydreamer
    They are one of the friendliest bunch of players around! I wonder if they remembered this moment.
    IMG_2234.jpg

19. towbsss

towbsss Regular Member

Athlete
    Yup, I remember that picture in Malaysia. Thanks for the support everyone :) We are working toward getting as far as we can, but our system simply makes it tough for us unless we keep continuing to do this for a longer time. Unfortunately, I feel many people in Canada don't put in enough time. I know we're all aiming for this Olympics but realistically for Canadian players, we would need to continue playing til 2016 for a chance to start breaking through. The potential may be there, but experience and training wise, I think we need a lot more time as our quality of training here is lower than the countries we would like to beat.

But there are still some of us who try... so I guess we have another month left before we see who makes it in. Our MD and WD are in difficult positions at the moment, but I hope you will continue to support us :D

20. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    I mean in England , the LTA (Lawn tennis association) are giving some talentless tennis players in England (with my tax money) who would never make the grade at international level $30K+ per year for expenses. These players have everything, a training camp, accommodation, private education , coaches, travel expenses on top , tax-free $$ from winning challengers competition . At the end of the day non of them would be capable in breaking thru into the world stage and win grand slam . Some of them might be in the world top 10 for juniors but thats as far as they would get. They lack the motivation, professionalism and everything that is required to be champion in senior level. Even Andy Murray does not approve the luxury this players are getting. Some of those even get wild-card (free-pass) at Wimbledon to get more free ranking points.

In Badminton , it is complete opposite , the funding has decrease in the sport this year and the support of our young players and even our senior players is a complete joke compare those with tennis even in badminton we have more success at the Olympics and other world stage events.