what's the different?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by gamepurpose, Jun 2, 2009.

1. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    is not about time period that you'll eventually get the use of tight tension. It's all about you understand how to use it (technique) if you get the technique down, I don't care if you just start badminton 1 or 2 days ago, you'll get it. some people been play for a long time, but never really understand about the stroke, and doesn't want to learn or try he will never get it.

2. crimson_eyes13

crimson_eyes13 Regular Member

high school student
    I don't quite understand...
    you guys say the tension depends on how strong your wrist are right?
    cause when i was a beginner my friend told me to string it to 28lbs but i kinda got used to it..
    so is it also possible that you could actually get used to the string tension your using?

3. narnia

narnia Regular Member

One of the secrets that the pro players can jump high is that they do it on the YONEX special court which gives you higher elasticity than the ordinary wood floor. A little different from the topic but similar principle. And it needs some stickiness. :)

#23 narnia, Jun 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  4. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    I've actually heard that the special yonex courts are just a piece of plastic/carpet. The ones that I've seen here in Canada are just a thin plastic. The bounce from these courts comes from whatever is under them. For instance if you put them right on top of cement then they'll kill your feet. And most of the coaches i've talked to about that agree that wooden courts with the "rebound ace" underlayer provide the best bounce. Unless yonex actually makes a special rebound layer to go underneath the courts too? (haven't seen them though)

5. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Guys & Girls.

Discussion done to death & there's a sticky if you want to search for it.

General concensus after much thinking:

Low swingspeed & High tension means you don't load the strings.

High swingspeed & Low tension means the shuttle will leave the strings whilst they're still loaded & the stings bounce back afterwards with no benefit to the shuttle.

Match your tension to your swingspeed.

Swingspeed is generated either by good technique or brute force. Some beginners can handle a high tension because they naturally swing quickly due to muscle speed

Some tiny "slight" girls have great technique & can literally "whip" a racquet head throught the air.

Great strength & technique is what the pro's have. That & free racquets through sponsership is why they string their racquets to such high tension.

6. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    Actually if you have a quick wrist, the high tension will give you more power as well. Think of it like this: you pull a loose elastic and let go, the whipping back effect is fairly weak. You pull a tight elastic the same distance and let go, the whipping effect is much stronger than the previous one. Thus, if you are strong and can cause the strings to ripple back further, the rebounding effect is also much greater.

7. Jing09

Jing09 Regular Member

Student
    Ah that's a nice explanation :D