Wang Yihan ( 王仪涵 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by suetyan, Sep 22, 2008.

1. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    all the kitties will be angel like to the boss. Lol

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i didn't know that... thanks.

but how come BWF website says this:

"All Member Associations have until 31 May to decide on their representatives for the 2012 London Olympic Games in accordance to the quota(s) decided by the BWF to balance having the best players and global diversity at the Games."
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=62497

And at the very last page of the "OLYMPIC QUALIFYING REGULATIONS FOR LONDON 2012", it says 31 May 2012 is the "Deadline for NOC’s to confirm to BWF their selection of qualified players/pairs".

http://bwfbadminton.org/file_download.aspx?id=41435&tid=1

3. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Wang Yihan and Wang Xin have gone through individual trial and tribulation

It's hard for me to choose because i want both to win after reading their biography. Both have their own hardships and it takes more than just guts to resurrect their career.

Compared to these two, Wang Shixian's current plight is completely minor. In fact she should be happy that she has won a lot of major titles that rival Wang Yihan at the age of 22.

Wang Xin hasn't won anything major in singles to date.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Me too,at first 2-3 years ago,when Wang Yihan was WR1,she somehow never endeared herself to me,not because she seemed proud and aloof or something. I preferred Wang Xin ,followed by Wang Shixian , then back to Wang Xin again. It was only after her UC2010 debacle, when I saw how she suffered in silence,humbly bided her time and learned from her defeats,and then transformed into a mature,steady and tough fighter that I was won over, now even more so.

Wang Xin did win a few major singles titles,the Singapore Open, French Open,Denmark Open and HongKong Open all in 2011,you can say not as impressive as WYH. For her comeback after a severe injury and able to produce such beautiful attacking badminton is what bowled me over completely. I'm not one to go purely by seniority but at age 26, I would wish her to be the first among equals to win OG gold as time isn't on her side for a China player, she may not have another go at it four years later,unlikely.

The problem is I felt WYH also deserves it after what she's gone through on top of her indomitable spirit, I'm kind of torn between the two,in a dilemma. We'll see how it goes when the time comes.

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Just 10 days ago, I thought the greatest rivalry in badminton in this Olympic cycle would be LD-vs-LCW or FHF/CY-vs-LYD/JJS.

Now I am convinced it is WYH/WX/WSX/LXR vs LYB!! :D

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Haha... LOL :D

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Even Lin Dan admitted his rivals in the Olympics are not only LCW, PG,and other non-CHN players but also his compatriots - why would his teammates want to let him win gold twice,I think LYB too,whose job is to ensure China wins not any particular player,wouldn't dare to favour him.

8. King's

King's Regular Member

It's one thing to let other compatriots get the wins, it's a whole lot different to carve a sacred place for a legend (and for the legend to grow even larger) so that it'll be even much harder to duplicate if not already insurmountable.;)

9. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    It is one thing LYB sells to his players that for CHN glory, players are to sacrifice to throw games to their teammates to enhance a gold medal win. But should 2 CHN meet in OLY final, if LYB will to pull this stunt asking a player to throw a game so that LD will win his 2nd gold medal and seal his legend status, that would be a tough sell. Even though we think little of LYB as a match fixer (LYB couldn't care less what baddy fans think of him anyway), but LYB would lose his credibility in CHN badminton to favor one player for so-called legend status than to win gold for CHN regardless of who gets it. That is why in the final of major like OLY, the coaches chair is empty when 2 CHN players meet and it is no mercy and we get to see some of the best baddy payed.

#1969 OneToughBirdie, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  10. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

yup, once 2 chinese meet in the final, their destiny is in their own hands.

but it will be different story if they meet in the SF.

11. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    'It will be different story if they meet in the SF', that is correct if the 1st SF has been contested and a non-CHN player is into the final. But if the 1st SF has been played and a CHN player gets into the final, then the 2nd SF between 2 CHN players is free for all. And if a chance that it is an ALL-CHN SF, then free for all, coaches chair empty. Check out world table tennis, where so many times we seen 4 CHN SF and the battle is fierce and world class paddy games played.
    That is why CHN players know the real obsatcle to them winning is from their teammates and even if he/she wins, the score is very close and could go either way. WX would be pitted opposite half of WYH. If WX gets into the final, WYH has her number. If LXR is CHN #3 and in WYH half, LXR has WYH number. And WX has better H2H against LXR. So the draw is very important, and again assuming no upset from the rest of the world like JS, SN, etc.

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I agree that LYB will not give "instructions" if two CHN players are pitted against one another in the OLY final.

But looking back at the WS final of OLY 2008, ie ZN vs XXF, would u (if u were XXF) have some hesitation of winning against ZN? I say so for the following reasons:

(1) ZN is more senior than XXF. Seniority means quite a bit in China.
    (2) XXF probably knew LYB was thinking of recruiting ZN as a coach in 2008.
    (3) LD (ie, her boyfriend and future husband) still has to face ZN everyday after OLY2008 for several years.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if there were any hesitation, it surely didn't show in the final. the 2008 WS final was one of the highest level WS play that i have seen.

seniority may play some part, but one will have to explain how much weight that really have given the LXR/WSX fight. in some ways, i think the seniority may have a little weight, but at the same time, seems overly blown.

the way i saw it, 2008 WS final was a free for all, it just happens that ZN was the better player that day.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I don't quite agree, I remember that look of utter disappointment when XXF lost to ZN. Even if she knew ZN was going to become a coach it's for the WS not MS. Furthermore,Lin Dan needn't have to face ZN in the sense of deferring to her as he himself is China's most valuable star player and I believe even LYB won't be pushing him around let alone his immediate coaches.

What's more,if China's coaches are so authoritarian or dictatorial,how come WSX dared to reveal she and ZN didn't understand each other and that she couldn't follow ZN's instructions to develop a more attacking game because it's just not her style? Besides, a coach who doesn't care about the player's feelings nor listens to his/her problem in order to know where the problem lies and work out a solution will turn the player off,lose her respect and be partly blamed for her lack of improvement.

Furthermore,XXF at that time would know that ZN being a new coach is unlikely and unwise of her to boss her charges around in case they complain to LYB,not unthinkable but irrelevant to the next point I'm going to make. The more compelling reason I can think of for XXF wanting to win that match is that it was ZN's second chance at gold having already won one,why would XXF care so much about ZN's double glory and forgo her own chances ? Anybody would say win it first and worry about other things later.

You seem to imply XXF is such an unambitious wimp and ZN a petty,selfish,even vindictive bully. I trust China's coaches believe in having a close,effective,harmonious relationship that is also mutually beneficial and respectful. I'd credit them with the intelligence and EQ to understand that unnecessary disagreements,frictions and character incompatibilities are counter-productive and will not produce the desired outcome, leading to everybody's loss,spelling disaster.

#1974 Justin L, Jun 1, 2012
  15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Remember the 2011 World SS Finals? Check out the Semi finals played out between WYH and WX. The other SF was between Tine and Saina. And yet, the SF between the 2 Chinese girls was one of the most adrenaline-filled matches I saw in a long while. I don't think they (the China team) cared who they met in the finals! :D

16. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    If anyone can find a case of CHN-CHN in a major (WC, AG or OLY, in any disciplines) finals that the match was fixed, I sure like to see it. LYB only concern is CHN to win i.e. CHN first, players come second. XXF wanted just as bad as ZN to win OLY08, there was no way she would hold back or told to hold back from winning. A win would top her 2 WC championships, together with LD gold would emulate INA Susi-Alan feat of double gold medalists. Whenever XXF-ZN played, there was no love lost, in fact I would like to know if you can even find any match these 2 played that you can say it is fixed...the reason why there is no fixed match involving these 2 players is they are always in opposite halves and if they do meet, it is in the finals of any event.

#1976 OneToughBirdie, Jun 1, 2012
  17. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    I would have to see that game again. But SSF is not a major, in fact CHN did not even send LD to play in the first 2 series. To LYB, SSF has no WR to gain, other than a huge payout so we have the likes of WPT/CEH winning the WD and empty stadiums. Therefore, WYH-WX duked it out, and LYB does not really care who they meet in the final, that is my take.

18. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Well if the tournament is not held in China, LYB doesnt give a damn...actually SSF since 2010 is considered a major when BWF and sponsors decided to inject more money into. So to the players, that tournament is like ATP Finals for tennis. I would still call it a major tournament even if it is not to LYB.

The one in Liuzhou was actually taken seriously by China. They would have wanted to sweep titles but incidently Fu Haifeng felt sick to his stomach hence allowing Chai-Guo to go through instead Otherwise he would play it all out.

The match between WX-WYH is indeed fixed nevertheless. WX lost to Nehwal in the group match so it's better to send different Chinese player to play against her to prevent her from playing with confidence. If the tournament is held in China, LYB wont back down and he has a face to look after :)

19. King's

King's Regular Member

Sir, no point sledging (or as you guys call trash talking) but we will definitely know once it plays out the way we assume it would.;) Enjoy he Games!

Probably LYB is not a match fixer but he definitely is a kingmaker. Why make the other bloke claim victory as a footnote?:)

#1979 King's, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  20. bdfreak87

bdfreak87 Regular Member