Foot stance for doubles backhand serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mag, Apr 14, 2005.

?

How do you place your feet for a backhand serve in doubles?

1. Non-racquet foot forward

55.6%
  2. Racquet foot forward

33.3%
  3. Both feet (roughly) square to the net

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It varies, depending on which side I serve from

11.1%
  1. hyperactive

hyperactive Regular Member

student
    I'm slowly getting used to the racquet foot forward serve as well...its ok...not spectacular...yet...I have a question, are we allowed to use the whole arm for the serve or just the wrist action?

I like the wrist action because its what I'm used to with the non-racquet foot forward but I find my services more accurate when I use my whole arm in a sort of push action. I just wanted to know if this is illegal or not?

I'm not playing til monday so I marked out the net height on my wall and a short service line with a piece of polystirine about the size of an A4 paper to practice. My friends think I'm crazy, lol.

2. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    push is okay, but i find it better in terms of hiding your serve if you keep your movement at a minimum by using only your wrist

its soooooooooooooo satisfying watching a better player fooled by your long flick serve

3. daversatile

daversatile Regular Member

I would think this would be the comfortable way for many but I guess not.

My reasoning is that after serving you can use the leg at the rear to push you into square facing the net in brace for a net return.

Also not to metnion...

it helps you lunge to the front of the opposite box for net play
    If you are on the left, your leg will help you strut diagonally to the front for net plays.

4. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

I checked my video collection, and saw Gao Ling and GE serve with both feet side-by-side. But racket foot forward seems most popular.

Interestingly, men in XD seemed to always serve with racket feet forward. I guess that stance helps to cover back court better.

What I don't see is non-racket forward in top double players' BH serve.

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Any backhand stroke, whether it is a serve, a push at the net, a drive at the side, a clear, drop or smash at the back, is best played with your racquet foot taking the lead to synchronize with your racquet shoulder which should also lead. The more difficult the backhand stroke the more obvious the importance of the racquet foot and racquet shoulder role.

6. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

there is no right or wrong in the foot stance. as long as you feel easier to move and comfortable, then stick to it.

7. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    weird... non-racquet foot forward on backhand serve. flick serve? i thought is drive over the shuttle... let me try flick it next time. but i need to ensure my opponent will not that fast and make me look like serving goat to tiger's mouth... hehehe...

8. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

I'm right handed, and I usually serve right foot forward on the left side, and both feet side by side on the right. I think Cai Yun does the same, so not all chinese players always serve racket foot forward.

9. Carbonex_21

Carbonex_21 Regular Member

engineer
    i'm right hander. my right foot in front while serving. then after serving, my feet square to the net in ready position.

10. ictus

ictus Regular Member

Kind of go against how we preach people to get lessons. If the instructor tells me to do a stroke this way, and I tell him "No, I feel my way is better, because I'm more comfortable this way". I guess it also depends on how good you are and how the instructor teachs.

I don't see how you can say because professionals stand this way, then it is ok. I'm sure that if you can do everything else a pro can do, then yes, your stance doesn't really matter.

Does anyone serve with racquet foot forward during a forehand serve? Why not? Does this reasoning also apply to backhand serve?

Is the stance of the backhand serve so important? I guess if depends on how good you are and how good your opponent is. I know when I play against people who are better, I always wish I am better prepare for their drop returns or half pushes to the sides, because I always have to switch my feet back after the serve. Yeah, I serve with my non-racquet foot up. But as you said, It does feel better and more comfortable. :)

11. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

I know many coaches who don't particularly care how a person stands for the serve. What they care about instead are RESULTS! If it's tight, consistent and has good variations, then it doesn't matter what you do.

In fact, as you get more advanced, formalized instruction of technique becomes less important. Players need to learn to use feedback from their bodies to figure out what they need to do with their technique - the coach can't always do this for them.

12. mmnoor

mmnoor Regular Member

I think that service stance depends alot on your footwork itself....

If you chasse to the shuttle, then you will lead with your racquet foot more often and more comfortably to take the return of your service.

However, if you are a bounder, in most instances your non racquet foot acts as a pivot.

In terms of coaches or instructors, most of their teachings are based upon a common syllabus. In other words, tried and tested methods. I myself do have trouble coping with some of these teachings, but as i incorporate it more into my game, i find that it does makes sense and indeed improves my game compared to before.

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The doubles can be delivered either with the right foot in front, or the left foot in front or even with both feet in front. The right foot in front allows for better movement as the left foot in front slightly reduces your free movement, because the backhand serve is from the backhand in front of your left foot.

14. Dixiedomer

Dixiedomer Regular Member

student
    I voted " Racquet foot forward" as this is the way I always serve.
    So why does the poll say that I voted "Non-racquet foot forward" now??

15. kaushikgreat

kaushikgreat Regular Member

well for me it depends on the side of the serve.
    If i am serving to the left ( i am a right handed) i have my left foot forward and when serving to the right i have my right foot forward.
    It was natural stance for me, never even cared to give a thought, till i read this thread :)
    So, i guess i am ok!, btw, i serve pretty decently :D

16. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    By the way, one reason I do not recommend serving with your non-racket foot forward (for backhand serves) is because if your opponent attacks your backhand...you're in trouble!

For example, I am right-handed, and if I serve and they push or drop to my left, and my left foot is forward, then my right foot, which is all the way in the back, will have to swing all the way past my left foot to point left, which takes a moment longer than if I were standing with both feet forward or my right foot forward.

17. Greenman

Greenman Regular Member

i used to serve with the racket foot forward, but recently i switched to non racket foot and it did seem to help, possibly because of a simple overhaul of technique rather than anything else...i thought about this though:
    Some have been saying that the racket foot forward would bring you the closest to the net. If you are holding the bird in your non racket hand, and that hand must be in front of your racket, wouldn't it make sense that if your non racket foot is in front, then your non racket hand can reach farther, and this stance would let you hold the bird closer to the net thus striking it closer to the net.

Unless you throw the bird in front of you somehow and then hit it, I cant see how a racket foot forward serve would be struck closer to the net than a non racket foot forward serve. Correct me if I'm wrong of course

18. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

The above is correct for a forehand serve but not for a backhand serve. Try out both serves and then use a tape to measure the distances from the shuttle when it is held ready to be served to the net. In the backhand serve the right shoulder leads when you serve with the racquet foot in front; in the case with the non-racquet in front, the left shoulder leads. It is obvious that when the right shoulder leads the distance to the net is closer.

19. Greenman

Greenman Regular Member

Perhaps I'm just not seeing it...i still think that the limitation of how far away you strike the bird on a backhand serve would be where you can hold the bird. If your right shoulder leads and your left arm is fully extended holding the bird, you aren't getting that maximum distance compared to your left shoulder leading fully extended holding the bird.

Although, I just looked at the photograph on page 3, there doesn't seem to be a leading shoulder, in which case I can see the advantages of racket foot forward.

20. pezai

pezai Regular Member

student
    i use racket foot forward, but both feet equally spaced together will also work as long as the contact with the birdie is in front and the racket doesn't hit the person, but if non racket foot is forward, you would probably hit your own thighs