Will Lee Chong Wei remain World No.1 until the 2012 OG?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 6, 2009.

1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Maybe he is implying that NTM might be one to catch up with LCW. But I say no, NTM is the same age and more likely than not, if someone wants to steal his crown, it would be Lin Dan, or some other young and uprising star, or maybe he would actually maintain it until it's London time.

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    only the top 3 china players has the possibilities to overtake lcw no.1 spot

the rest is still finding their way around

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    The intention of starting this thread

Probably george@chongwei hasn't read the intention of starting this thread; Please read Post #1. :p:p:p

And probably undeadshot has. :):):)

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

But the main topic of this thread is LCW and not NTM:D

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

If an MS is WR1 for a week or two like RH and WCH, it's a fluke. But if he's WR1 for a long while like LCW (or LD was), it means he's able to play quality at the highest level, consistently. In sports, the problem is maintaining highest quality for an extended period of time. That 's why it's tougher to be WR1 for a year than to win the odd major title. Luck plays a bigger role in winning a major title than staying WR1 for a year.
    For LCW to beat LD more often, he has to have more opportunities to do so. But LD is not doing that and perhaps avoiding LCW by playing even less this year. So far they have met only once and it's half the year gone. The rest of the year they may have the chance to meet 3 times and all in LD's homeland (AG, CM and CO.) LCW has never beaten LD in his homeground. This year LD has played in tournaments where he has won before (AE, SWO and TC) or where LCW is absent (ABC). If you can arrange for LD to play in IO, KO, MO and SPO, LCW's chances of beating LD will be higher.
    It is good you worship LD. And you are not alone there.
    But the fact that LD is no longer WR1 does not mean he does not want it. It means he is not able to or he has to make a choice.
    Let me explain:
    1. LD is ageing (so is LCW). It's difficult for LD (as seen this year) to sustain his high level play for two consecutive weeks. When LD was WR1, he was amazing: he could win 3 titles in 3 consecutive weeks (with some help from teammates, courtesy of LYB)! To be WR1 for at least 3 months?, a MS has to play 12+? tournaments. If LD plays more, he's likely to lose more and once LD loses more often than expected, his 'greatness' aura would be tarnished and tha's not good for his image.
    2. LD has a choice. If he aims for WR1, he has to play more and this means LCW's opportunities to beat him increase. This is dangerous for LD because once LCW's record against a MS improves,LCW is unlikely to lose (BCL, CJ, PG, TH). LYB is aware of that. Between forgoing WR1 status and losing to LCW more often, giving up WR1 pursuit is the less painful choice.
    3. LCW is the only consistent non-CHN MS threat to LD, having beaten him at least 3 times and still improving. LD is actually a better and more complete MS now than when he was WR1 but he's also more vulnerable when he' s not fully prepared. Other non-CHN MS will have a odd chance of beating him now than before since LD is unlikely to prepare for them as his preparations will have to be solely for LCW.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..and we're still waiting to see if that Chen Long lad is going to make a charge in the next couple of yrs (currently WR#12)...:eek:

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

This thread is created to monitor players who could come forward to challenge LCW

Perhaps, I am misunderstood. In Post #1, it says;
    This thread is created to monitor players who could come forward to challenge Lee Chong Wei.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Two months ago, Chen Long was ranked No.9

Thanking ctjcad for the info.
    So Chen Long has dropped 3 places. Two months ago, CL was ranked No.9.

#508 chris-ccc, Jul 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  9. undeadshot

I say these 3 young players will most likely not challenge before OG 2012 :
    1) Chen Long
    2) Tago Kenichi
    3) Jan O' Jorgensen

I am not impressed by them so far.

10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Alright, sorry.. my bad once again:D.. I didn't read the 1st post, but then i just read the THREAD TITLE though:D

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Nguyen Tien Minh (from Vietnam) could be the one

Don't be surprised that Nguyen Tien Minh (from Vietnam) could be the one to topple LCW from the No.1 World Ranking.

Yes, although he is not young; But I can see how determined he is; after meeting him at our 2010 Australian Open GP.

12. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    you mean you talk to him?

of course being in the top 10 as a player

i am sure he has this mentality to overtake and becomes no.1

thats how he is in the top 10

but you and me know that he would not be able to go that far

although he is very hardworking he lacks a lot of stuff to help him to go further

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Nguyen Tien Minh has this mentality to overtake and becomes no.1

After having met LCW and NTM, I was surprised that they are of similar fitness and size (height, weight, etc...)

At our 2010 Australian Open GP held today, Sunday 18-Jul-2010, I went up to NTM to wish him 'Good Luck' before playing against Yogendran Krishnan at the MS Final. YK overheard me talking to NTM; and YK said to me and NTM; that NTM doesn't need luck. :p:p:p

It shows how much YK has repect for NTM. :):):)

14. undeadshot

NTM is the same age as LCW. Unless LCW's form takes a mega-dip and NTM's form suddenly took a huge turn for the better, I don't believe he can break into the top 3. He has to beat players like Chen Jin, Peter Gade and Taufik if he wants his world ranking to rise, like the Indonesian Open, he lost to Taufik.

Also, if he wants to be no.1, he should not lose to players like Hafiz any more.

But, despite my seemingly negative comments, I support and respect NTM a lot. Good luck to him, but I am just saying that it would be really very hard for him to be no.1.

15. smashwide

smashwide Regular Member

Busybody

After logging in for the second time to this forum, I can see that many LeeCW supporters is here. Myself like LeeCW as well but of coz Lin Dan is my favourite. I respect chriss@ccc after knowing his intention in starting this thread. Sorry for creating confusing here. LeeCW is the world no. 1 rank and no questions.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Badminton players with great display of skill, speed, strength, stamina and strokes

:D:D:D You have smashed wide before, but now you have smashed in. :D:D:D

Many BCers think that LCW is my only favourite.

Actually, I like all players who could show us great display of skill, speed, strength, stamina and strokes.

Therefore, Lin Dan is also one of my favourites. :):):)

#516 chris-ccc, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  17. smashwide

smashwide Regular Member

Busybody
    thanks chriss, I think i smashwide often as I am Malaysian and I always smash wide to China more???
    My point is, as long as the player is good and able to captivate me, I will support him.

18. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Haha, how can you smash wide to China more, that means you smash out(wrong) on China, should be smash IN.
    Yes, yes, there're many Msians who prefer China players for their ability but interestingly, there are also many non Msians who support our players. Maybe we take them for granted.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

A famous Malaysian Badminton saying

:D:D:D Hahaha eaglehelang...... You have reminded me of a famous Malaysian Badminton saying;

"Beautiful stroke, but the shuttlecock went OUT". (translated from Malay to English) :):):)

20. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    LCW still on form and the only guy he's afraid of is LD.

Chris, use this... bola gooollll.. tapi kena tiang.. lol. ;)
    For english on recent world cup... bola masuk... tapi keluar... aiseh man... lol.