Karakal M-Tec 80 Tattoo limited edition

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Danstevens, Nov 13, 2008.

1. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I didn't know Mustafa has Karakal ! I will go check it out !

2. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

they have very limited range and quantities available, so no high expectations though. you mentioned that the MTec 80 comes alive with string tensions above 26lbs. currently my rackets (W7i, Boonsak 6900 & MP99) are all strung using either bg80 or nbg98 at 23 x 25 lbs tension, will the M Tec 80 be "woken up" at this string tension? thanks...:p

3. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Wow ! You got some nice racquets there ! Rare to see a Gosen 6900 in Singapore, I was tempted to get it from Bangkok and those models you have are all stiff racquets.

Well, my MTEC 80 came with 22lbs which was really bad, and I had to restring to 26lbs which was my usual playing tension and the difference is really quite startling !

I have not tried the MTEC 80 at the tension you mentioned before, but maybe you can give it a try and let us know ?

#43 teoky, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  4. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

actually my gosen 6900 was bought locally used from mongoose, was fortunate enough to hunt 1pc from him....:p
    - what string were you using at 22lbs initially when u had the MTec 80?
    - what string are you using now at 26lbs that wake up the racket?
    are MTec 85 / 90 too heavy to your liking, thus not powerful enough?

5. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    How's the Gosen 6900 ? Always wanted to give Gosen a try but always end up trying other brand instead of Gosen ;p

The original string was Ashaway Micro Legend if I remember correctly ? I am now using BG66@26lbs, which is my favourite string and favourite tension.

Well, I saw from the forum that the MTEC 80 is most suitable for my style of playing and I didn't see any MTEC 90.

I just came back from Mustafa and indeed they have MTEC 90 ! I believe it to be very old model.

6. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

the gosen 6900 plays quite well, but not as powerful as the W7i though. like the W7i more..:D
    so i guess its the ML string thats making the MTec 80 sleeps...so you reckon the MTec 80 is better in terms of better attacking power and defence over the MTec 85/90 models? and are the prices of the karakal rackets at mustafa worth buying?

#46 alana07, Jan 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  7. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I have never tried the 85/90 before but I think it is more for singles. I play mainly doubles and singles when the need arises (when people challenge me !), the MTEC 80 can fulfill both roles adequately.

If you want to get Karakal racquets, go to Sports Report at OUB Centre, their price there is slightly cheaper and for some of their Karakal, it is unstrung so that you can chose which string and what tension you want, whereas all the racquets at Mustafa already strung and it feels like 22/23lbs.

8. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

alrite, i'll drop by Sports Report to take a look then. btw do they open on weekends?

9. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Just to let you know this racquet is now available at Sports Report, 4th Level OUB Centre (above Raffles Place MRT) but did not check pricing. fyi the racket has a matte finishing and the paintjob doesnt look as good as the photos on the Karakal website imho. The frame profile is also different from the M-Tec 80.

10. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Thanks for the update. They are selling it for S$119 with additional 25% discount.

What do you mean the frame profile is different ? I am comparing it with my MTEC 80 and it looks the same.

11. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    BTW, I have the MTEC 85 and it is really good ! Initially I was worried that it may be too heavy but surprisingly it stills move well and the power is definitely better than the MTEC 80.

12. WeiFeng

WeiFeng Regular Member

Clerk
    Thanks to teoky, me a proud owner of Mtec 70 iso and Mtec 80 Tattoo edition.. hahaha

13. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    What do you mean by thanks to me ? Later the forum people here get the wrong impression that I sponsor you the racquets and will be crashing down the door !

Anyway, do provide your feedback on the Tattoo after you use it.

14. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

also thanks to bro teoky's poison, i now got 2 new toys to play with for the new year....tattoo and mtec 85...:D:p:)

15. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Again, with help from teoky, from my sponsorship, i got my tattoo also :)

16. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Ok, now Karakal really need to send the commissions cheque to me ! ha ha.

Anyway, most importantly, you guys like the Karakals and I hope my advice or rather opinion is suitable for you as racquets are very personal choice.

Alana07, you got your mtec85 ? Did you get a chance to use both of them and which one do you like more ? Let us know your feedback on the racquets.

Babyface, glad you got your tattoo and I hope it is doing good for you ?

17. alana07

alana07 Regular Member

i shld be getting the mtec85 tomorrow, its on the way now. as for the tattoo, mine's had the b/p 290-300 mm version. its strung with karakal's nano 68 string at 24 x 26 lbs, original handgrip covered by a ashaway thin ribbed type overgrip. so now the b/p is almost at 288-290mm...tiny bit of head heaviness can be felt. its an easy racket to play, generates good power given its light weightish nature. no complains about this racket.

18. Babyface

Babyface Regular Member

Student
    Teoky: how do you find the 85?
    i find that the tattoo is a very light racket in comparison with my arc 10, and a little more even balanced.
    i play singles and would love to hear some feedback in the difference between the 85 and the 80.

19. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I think most of the Karakal racquets has 290-300mm bp printed on the racquet, even my Revo M76 also has that.

Glad you like it.

20. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    The MTEC85 definitely more power than the Tattoo since it is heavier. The MTEC 85 will be closer to the Arc10 in terms of weight though it is still not as stiff.

In terms of design, the MTEC85 has a thicker head profile and also the shaft is thicker. It is definitely better for singles than doubles but as it is not overly heavy, you can still use it for doubles.

I was hesistant in getting the MTEC85 as I thought it might be too heavy and not suitable for my doubles play but I must say I am pleasantly surprised and now uses the MTEC85 quite often.