looking for playing group at HCMC

Discussion in 'Vietnam' started by Birdiegut, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Playing badminton

Hi Kawasaki,
    I will be leaving for KL on Tuesday at around 0830hrs. Just get yr passport and necessity ready if u want to go up. Sms me if u r interested to go,ok? Mobile:90665522. Thanks.
    Lee:)

2. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Playing badminton in HCMC

Hi Permanis,
    Yes. Playing badminton in HCMC is not difficult but to communicate with the local is really a trying experience. Fortunately for me, I got my Vietnamese friend around to help. I manage to get a court to play at Ky Hoa Hotel compound.Four rubber mat courts, very well maintained.The guys there were really friendly. It is at district 10.From my district 5 area took about 5 to 10 mins.costs me about Vietnamese $12000/- Dong(US$1/- = $15885Dong). Happened that one of the ladies there does speak simple English, that makes my communication much easier. Played on weekends around 5pm till 7pm. Really enjoyed d games. Well, their standards were intermediate and they were worried that I might not enjoy d game. Address of Ky Hoa Hotel is 12,3 Thang 2 Blvd at district 10. Tel: 8653456,or 8654065. Currently, I am trying to get into a group who are playing the game on Tues,Thur n Saturday evenings which will ideal for me. I too was invited by one of the BC members to Binh Thanh Sport Center at Phan Dang Luu St which s quite a distance from my place at Dist 5. about 8 to 10 km away.There is another place at Phu Tho Club at district 11 which has 12 courts on the 3rd floor. Wow, quite a spacious place. Heard that alots of good players play during the evening from 7pm onwards.Well maintained and lighted. Chinatown is at District 5. I am near Andong Plaza.If u do come to Vietnam n happen that I too is there, maybe we can have a game or 2.:D District 1 have all the glittering night life whereas distric 5 is dull at night. :( Presently, I am trying to find out more locations to place d game. Bye.
    Lee:)

3. kawasaki

kawasaki Regular Member

STUDENT
    dear Lee,
    what was wrong with your mobile ? i sent to u sms yesterday night but i havent recieved any respondses from you . i really want to go .
    i have changed my phone number that is 81670405
    contact me , if u dont mind ........thanks so much .

4. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Ky Hoa Park

Dear Birdiegut
    Just in case you want to check out, the Ky Hoa Park courts are worth a look. Yes it's the same KY Hoa Park where families take their kids there to have fun with the rides on weekends. But look closely there are many tennis courts and amongst the tennis courts is a hall with a gym, table tennis courts and 3 badminton courts ( 2 rubberised and 1 wooden). Don't confuse the hall with the posh clubhouse in that vicinity.
    Depending on the time, the badminton courts cater to different standards. The courts are popular after office hours on week days and also all day in weekends. If you are interested to play there 5.00p.m to 7.00 p.m onwards,I can direct you to the court I used to play in a group at Ky Hoa Park. Let me know if you are interested.
    Thanks for the invitation to meet up to play in HCMC if we are ever there around that same time. Like wise if you are ever in Sydney and you want to have a game, let me know and I can bring you to play at our club.

Cheerio

Mr. Permanis

5. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Hcmc

Hi Permanis,
    Thank u very much for yr invitation. Yes, I am interested in playing d game from 7pm onwards. I dont know whether are we talking about the same courts or not. I went to Ky Hoa Hotel main entrance and go by the left side and there is a club there just next to the tennis courts. 4 rubber mat courts. U mean there is another one nearby?:confused: I did not notice there were any wooden court or table tennis courts around. Please do guide me if I am wrong. Thanks.I will certainly pm u if I am going to Sydney. so far I had been to Australia 4 times: once to Sidney and Melbourne. Twice to Gold Coast and once to Perth. All on vacations. Do keep in touch if u r around. i will definitely in HCMC by early October 2005. Bye.
    Lee:D

6. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Playing badminton

Hi Kawasaki,
    I had sms u. Did u receive my message? Yesterday, I was attending a wedding lunch at JB,Johore. Came back at evening and this morning just saw yr sms. Replied, any problem about my information n answer? Thanks.

7. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Ky Hoa

Hi Birdiegut,
    The problem about Ky Hoa is that it is such a large place with so any entrances/exits.So let me guide you to that hall.
    From District 10, take the Cach Mach Trang Tam road and continue until you come the end of the Ky Hoa perimeter where there is a buddhist temple.There is a road adjacent the perimeter and just go there for about 100 metre. That's the entrance I take. After the entrance are several huge restaurants catering to weddings on the left and in front and right after the entrance are several fun rides. The hall is just on the first road to the left and tha't where you begin to see many tennis courts.You won't miss the hall ( it has gym, 4 rubberised and 1 wooden badminton courts and the table tennis facilities). The problem is that the people in the reception can only speak Vietnamese and I believe most courts are permanent booking. I know it sound complicated but trust me after the first time going there, it looks easy.
    Check it out on your next trip to HCMC.I noticed the people playing there can range from intermediate to ex-provincial players.It's more popular on weekends.
    I don't know when I will be in Vietnam but I will be in Hong Kong for 3 weeks in Decmeber and if you know of a lobang where I can play some badminton there at that time, I will apppreciate it.

Thanks. Iif you need further help, just let me know.
    Cheers

Permanis

8. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    playing badminton

Hi Permanis,
    Hey, u know what is lobang ah? Are u formerly from Singapore or Malaysia? ;)
    Just curious. Well, thanks for yr infor on Ky Hoa courts. I will there around early October 05. As for Hongkong playing sites, I think u may pm to Mr Taneepak lah, he may able to help u. Sorry for not able to help u.:crying: If u need locations of play for Spore ,Malaysia, then I may able to help u.:D
    Thanks n hope to meet u if u come to Vietnam.
    Lee

9. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Badminton in HCMC

Hi Birdiegut,
    Yes, I am a Malaysian. I will be be in Malaysia at the end of the year for a week. I am usually too busy there catching up with friends and out most of the time to be able to play any badminton at all. I will take your advice and contact Taneepak when in HK requesting for a game of badminton.I usually go to HK as my wife is from there.

Regarding the Ky Hoa group, the players there can speak English and a bit of Canonese/Mandarin. At least communication is not a problem.If you decide to play there, just tell them that you heard about them from the guy from Malaysia who played with them ithis May. I stopped playing there because I have too many appointments in the evenings. So I just played every morning at Cong Vien Le Van Tam.

One more place to play but it may be too far for you ( as it was for me too) is right near to TSN Airport. On the way to the airport just before you reach the airport along the highway ( but pass the bowling centre on your left), you turn right to a lane into a residential suburb and there is a huge complex full of tennis courts with a badminton hall with 4 cement court. There is even a Chinese coach there.The standard there was quite good.You might need a local person to direct you there and from D10 it will take almost 40 minutes or more.hehehe
    Happy hunting for badminton players and courts in HCMC. Wish you a pleasant trip back to HCMC in Oct.

Permanis

10. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    playing badminton

Hi Permanis,
    Thanks for yr reply. Currently, I am at KL. i was up in KL with Kawasaki from Tuesday onwards and since playing badminton in the evenings. I even met Jason Michael of Malaysia BC member at Taman Megah. Had three seesions of games at PJ n KL. Met alots of veterans and young gentlemen. What a game. Just sweat it out. If u are coming back at the end of the year, just pm me in case I am up in KL.We can game 2gether. I know KL venues n can get around quite ok lah. Wish u the best in yr HK trip n enjoy yrself.
    Bye.

11. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Hi Birdiegut,
    Looks like you enjoyed your games in KL this week.Makes me want to play there too. Most of my time in the previous trips in Malaysia was spent what most Malaysians like doing -shopping. My role was more of a shopping bag carrier for my wife. I have never thought of playing badminton there as this means bringing racket(s), shoes, tee- shirts and shorts which adds more weight to the luggage.I guess I will bring them along this time and assume I can get a few games in Kl or HK.I don't confess to know where Tmn Megah is but if there is taxi or LRT, I will find my way there.
    You are a very lucky person to be able to play badminton all over the places.
    Just in case you need shuttles in Vietnam, you will be impressed to note that one tube (made in Vietnam) costs only 45000 dong.The flight of the shuttle is quite good and for that price you can buy 3 tubes for the price of one Yonex in Spore.There is only 1 brand with the yellow tube a slower speed than the green one. Check them out at the sport shops along Nguyen Thi Minh Khai ( near a tennis club) or in Ben Thanh, pass the shops selling the travelling bags and the sport shops selling badminton/tennis gears are directly behind the New World Hotel. They do stinging and somemore cheap too.

Catch up with you again

Permanis

12. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    Hcmc

Hi Permanis,
    Thanks for yr reply.I did not notice that HCMC shuttle was so cheap. I found the shuttle I used at HCMC were not of high quality.But still can be used lah. Yah, I really enjoy the games at KL. Tuesday at KL near Merdeka Stadium, Wednes and thursday at Taman Megah. Wow, really whack the shuttles until all my perspiration run dry.Hey, u r welcome to join if u intend to come to KL. :D Wherever I go, I will try to play a few games with the local if available. Just ask n there we go............:p There are alots of BC members around and they sure willing to help lah.Bye:)

13. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Dear Birdiegut,

The Vietnamese brand of shuttle ( I like the Yellow coloured tube's shuttle flight) are comparable to the second tier Chinese brand like Swallow and Aqua.
    I think I have make up my mind to bring my badminton gear to KL and HK this time. The NS staduim will suit me fine as I will stay in a hotel in the BB area. I will be in KL around the first week of Dec.
    Cheers

Permanis.

14. Birdiegut

Birdiegut Regular Member

Regional sales
    KL venue

Hi Permanis,
    Hope that I will be around in KL during tat time. Well, I joined the veteran players at KL next to Merdeka Satium. They were pretty good in strokes and skills.They usually play from 5pm to 8pm on Tuesday. I will pm the address to u later. You may need to go n ask them. Is it ok for u? Tks.

15. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Hi Birdiegut,

Even though I will be in Malaysia from the 7th Dec, I will only be in KL from Sat 10th -Tue 13th Dec.Before KL,I will be in another Malaysian town 2 hours away by plane from KL. I wiould have like to join that group in Merdeka Stadium but unfortunately I am flying off to HK that Tuesday afternoon.I don't mind having a game on either Sat, Sun or Mon if you can use your network of Malaysian players to see if you can put me up for a few games. Many thanks. Yes my standard would be the the veteran standard.
    If it is veteran players you are looking for in HCMC, you may like to consider playing with the group I played with at Cong Vien Le Van Tam. I know may bea bit far for you from District 10 but at that time of the day there is no traffic and somemore they play everyday. They are all veteran players but the game starts at 6.30a.m sharp. That's not early when you consider other players begin playing badminton at 6.00a.m or at dawn.The players at Ky Hoa Park courts are mostly younger college players or office groups booking and playing together. The only problem in playing badminton in Vietnam is that you have to keep the scores in your mind as the local players will shout the scores in Vietnamese. Even with that,there were occasions I lost counts of the scores myself and only know the set had ended when we changed ends.
    Well, look around and see what standard suits you on the next trip to HCMC.
    Thanks and cheers

Permanis

Permanis

16. anfan2000

anfan2000 Regular Member

PROGRAMMER
  17. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Vietnamese website

Hi anfan2000,
    Wah! This is something which an expatriate may not understand.:eek: Can provide any translation or anyway of getting it in English version?:p

18. permanis

permanis Regular Member

Hi Lee,
    You are what we call par qua chai hehe no offence. I have seen the website and leave it alone as I know no vietnamese. Maybe that site is very useful site for Vietnamese badminton players. It's only natural that everything is in Vietnamese.Tough luck we orang asing don't understand Vietnamese to view the website.I wonder how many viewers would look it if there is a English website for it. I know you would.... Par qua chai.
    How's thing in Suzhou? I saw a bit of your posting there. I will be in HCMC at the end of this month for a month and hope to have a game or two. I will bring a racket just in case the M'sian club still exist at marie curie school Le Quy Don.

Permanis

19. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Vietnamese website

Hi permanis,
    Glad to hear from u, man. Everything is fine here. I am currently in Tianjin for a week. Played a game last night at the price of RMB$25/- per session here. Good courts n lighting except a bit too polished floor lah. I will be back to Suzhou by this Sunday's night. At Suzhou, I too play with a group of Malaysian n Sporean players on every Monday n Thursday nights. I will right back in Spore on 28/03/08's night for two weeks stay.
    Ok. I supposed to be station at HCMC this year but my boss changed his mind n station me at China again. Probaly may travel more often this year.;)
    Anyway, do pm me when u visit Spore or Suzhou. We can arrange for a game or so.:pNever mind abt the par qua chai lah. Afterall, I can speak cantonese or English to them.:D Do enjoy yr stay in HCMC and hope one day we can meet n play a game together.:)Hope that those guys at Marie Curie still around n if I do visit HCMC, I will catch up with u, then.

#39 Notnimdab729, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  20. proacevn

proacevn Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone.
    I'm looking for a group that plays badminton at weekends and has many womans who'd like to play as single. I'm only 17 and I'm female. I really wanna join a group but the problem is I can't play well as double. I'm only able to play as single, but almost groups I've found always play in pairs. Is there any group that has womans want to play as single around Phu Nhuan District?