why do I do worse 2vs2 than 1vs2

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by firearc, Nov 24, 2009.

1. firearc

firearc Regular Member

When I play doubles 2 vs 2 I do not tend to move a lot and I make more mistakes. I think I would play better by myself vs 2 people and not make as many mistakes because I am forced to try hard. Doubles partner is not really worse than me. We both make mistakes a lot. When I play 2 vs 2 doubles, I can't seem to try hard because I move much less, hardly tired.

2. singnflip4life

singnflip4life Regular Member

Full Time Med Student
    This is a mentality issue. Remind yourself that even though you have a partner, the increased speed of the game for doubles more than makes up for that advantage.

3. Lannister05

Lannister05 Regular Member

It has a lot to do with familiarity. If both of you make a lot of errors then your level of trust tends to be very low. In my gym, the higher levels players don't tuck their heads when their partners smash but at my lowly level I still do because I don't entirely trust my partner not to cap me in the back of the head.

If you are both making a lot of errors might I suggest you play sides for the time being until you both figure out your individual shot problems. When both of you grow more confident in your own abilities you will both begin to trust each other more and less errors will be made.

4. qoobies

qoobies New Member

I don't know your play level, so not sure if this will help.. there's a general rule to playing doubles. When you or your partner clears a shot, you both get into your sides position. When you/partner drops, you go to your front and back position. This helps to avoid confusion. But you know.. a little bit of practice with the same partner will help with familiarise your play and communication on court.

5. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Talk with your partner and set up rules for who takes which shot.

Like Lannister05 said, it's not that complicated. You either attack or defend. Simplified, when you attack, you stand behind each other, if you defend, you're next to each other. This not only means you know where to stand, but you also know which enemy shots you are supposed to return. So there should only seldom be confusion or reason not to run for a shuttle. I.e., the risk that you crash into your partner should be low.

6. ckzx93

ckzx93 Regular Member

Student
    I don't think it's a confusion thing. I guessed you might have been seasoned for playing singles, be it tactics or court dominance. This is because you find playing alone on the court easier than playing with a partner. Thus, you either want to dominate on your own side of the court, or your tactic of play is only suited for Singles.

7. dltgld

dltgld Regular Member

Doubles vs Singles- the difference

I have a problem that is opposite to yours: I am a crappy singles player, but I can play doubles.
    Before I say anything else, let me begin by pointing out some difference (at least my perception of such differences). You may know these already, but here it goes:

In singles, rallies tend to involve the forecourt and the rearcourt. In doubles, the midcourt area is used very frequently due to drives and pushes. This unique environment requires two adaptations: short racquet grip and constant bobbing.

Doubles players will hold their racquet short. In other words, doubles players will hold their racquet closer to the cone. This grip drastically improves response, and it allows players to conduct drive wars and defend jump smashes with great precision. Do not get me wrong; doubles players will hold their racquet at the bottom when they need to execute forehand overhead shots.

In singles, you use split step to prepare yourself. In doubles, you bob up and down constantly to prepare yourself. More often than not, there isn't enough time to split step and reach for the bird when the bird is flying straight at your chest and/or your hip of your racquet side.

In singles, there is a magical shot called "the block to the net" which instantly allows the user to neutralize the situation after a smash. In doubles, you can try crosscourt lifts, flatter lifts (flat enough to prevent a jump smash, but high enough to prevent the front player from intercepting it), block to the net (preferrably play them into an open space in the front court), pushes (if the front player fails to intercept it, ditto), and drives. Even with these options, counterattacking can be difficult, and professionals are professionals partially because they can pull off a good counterattack after being attacked.

In singles, you want to smash with caution. In doubles, you want to smash without caution... literally. If you can, smash. It is acceptable to play 5+ jump smashes in a row.

Doubles is a game of two. In doubles, you must rotate with your partner. Thus, you need excellent coordination with your partner. Good doubles players will attempt to confuse your rotation.

Very often, you have to position yourself according to what shot your partner just played in doubles.

In doubles, you must pound the bird down, and I mean, POUND IT DOWN!!! Remember to pound it and end the rally whenever you can.

These are some major differences between in singles and doubles (or at least my perception). I guess it is a matter of understanding the unique nature of the doubles game and adapting to it. Also, convince yourself that you are just as ready for the shot and that you are just as alert even if you are not moving so much. Hey, that's what constant bobbing is for.

Just for record...
    In my opinion, this is what happens in doubles:
    Court coverage is doubled for each side (2x)
    Overall pace of the rally is quadrupled (4x)- why quadruple? because
    Aggression is doubled (2x)
    The importance of aggression and attacking play is quadrupled (4x)
    Movement pressure is reduced by half (1/2x)
    Shotmaking pressure is doubled (2x) thanks to increased pace
    The chances of making a mistake is doubled (2x)
    Difficulty of counterattacking is doubled (2x)

#7 dltgld, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  8. vincentbadmin

vincentbadmin Regular Member

Student
    woah nice analysis dude, i've got the same problem as the OP ...
    i ish lacking teamwork =/

9. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    maybe ur chemistry and ur partners are not synchronized