Pics of me from the China Open last year.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TheComedian, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sorry to hear that. I thought you were just getting going!

Come to HK to coach?

2. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    Why hong kong?

3. catman

catman Regular Member

What caused the shoulder injury? I think I remember seeing you play, I recall thinking - boy that guy hits with a lot of power. Was there an issue with technique or equipment that caused the injury at a relatively young age?
    It would be great you can coach in Canada, if the opportunities are available.

4. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    I've decided to hire a trainer to deal with my injury. I'm not retiring just yet. My girlfriend at the was a big big factor in my decision to retire. We talked about it and we decided to break up. Anyway I'm not retiring. I'm back on a full time training schedule. My next match will be the China international challenge in Beijing. I feel kinda stupid again lol

5. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    By the way? Where did you see me playing? :p

6. catman

catman Regular Member

Welcome back....already coming out of retirement - I should be your press agent.....the retirement was for the relationship!
    I believe it was at the Toronto Elite Tournament - a few years ago - it was tournament at Humber College right after New Years. I think Hariwan Hariwan from Indonesia was there at the time.

7. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    I only played at Humber college once before I came to china. I believe it was the Ontario B's. I lost in the 2nd round to the number one seed. He went on to win the tournament. My Canadian badminton career wasn't very good :p but that was years ago. If I went back now it would be a different story. I'll come back to Canada in the summer to see my folks, while I'm there I'll try to get out to a tourney. See how much I've improved. Pwn the nubs XD. But I want to do well in Beijing, I'm gunning for quarter final. Gots to train hard now, got nothing else anymore.

8. catman

catman Regular Member

Good luck in Beijing. Are you going to try out the Pan-Am games - I think it's next year in Toronto.

9. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    No, I don't think so. To tell you the truth, I don't like playing in Canada. A lot of players have attitudes that I don't like to deal with. I may in the future, but I really enjoy playing here in Asia. The Chinese, Indonesians, and Malaysians just love the sport so much, They create an atmosphere around the court that I just love to be a part of. Two years ago I played the Vietnam Grand Prix event. I was the only Canadian taking part so I had to warm up alone. But the Indonesian team was warming up in the match hall and they invited me to train with them. I will never forget how much fun that was to warm up with them. The same happened at the China open when they allowed me to spar with Sony and Tommy. Thais are also a fun people. They let me play two against one with Tanongsak and Boonsak at the China open. The love for the sport and the attitude of "I don't judge you by how good you are" is fantastic in Asia. This is why I love badminton so much here and why I don't want to play back home any more. Back home it doesn't matter the what sport it is, you are judged by your skill (among other players, obviously your judged by skill for your ranking lol) I used to play basketball before badminton, that attitude drove me away from the sport. I represent Canada because it's my homeland and I am proud of it. But I don't represent that judgement and attitude. So, I don't really care about my national ranking (I don't have one) I am focusing on my world ranking. If I can excel in Asia, I can excel anywhere. I don't need Pan-Ams. Maybe after A few years training and I have an Asian title under my belt.

10. visor

visor Regular Member

True. Probably because in countries with big population of badminton players like INA and CHN, the players know that there'll always be someone better than them, so they're more humble.

You know the saying: big fish in small ocean vs small fish in big ocean. ;)

11. catman

catman Regular Member

Sad to hear you won't be playing in Canada. I am not familiar with elite level badminton. I assumed Canada Badminton was sending you to all these tournaments. Are you on your own? Don't want to invade your privacy - how do finance your pro tour? Is from the Pro Kennex sponsorship? It must quite expensive, going from country to country?

Another quote from Gandhi (?): "Be the change you wish to see in the world". Hopefully, you'll comeback and change the attitudes in Canadian Badminton.

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

You really are having a great experience! Hopefully you will win a bunch of asian titles. Then after that you can come home and teach us Canucks how it's done!

Maybe consider the Maritimes: We are awfully friendly, and could use a world- class coach. :eek:
    (and if not you, then send my hero, Sony. He needs a retirement plan, no? ;))

13. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    I would like to change badminton in Canada. That's my whole plan. I believe that in countries like Canada and USA and some European countries, the mistake is having national rankings. In Thailand, they don't have national rankings. They just spar and improve their games and not worry about who is number one. You can have a league, but national rankings I think are silly. National Championship, fine. But too many players are only concerned about their national ranking. I want to create a team of young players outside of the Canadian circuit that will improve from a training plan and from sparring with one another under the guidance of the coach (me). This is my plan for once I retire.

And yes I am on my own for funds at the moment. But it's not too bad cause I don't travel too far. Just within Asia. China, Vietnam, Malaysia, and Indonesia. The plane ticket prices reasonable.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's an excellent point about national rankings. In fact, Toby Ng of Canada has pointed out malalignment of logic in rankings and seedings in Canadian badminton.

Good luck with your vision!

15. catman

catman Regular Member

I don't follow - what is negative aspect of having a ranking system?

16. visor

visor Regular Member

then they become too focused on themselves climbing to the top, instead of helping each other and everyone as a whole community to improve and elevate badminton in Canada and on the world stage

17. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    Yes, as Thailand has been doing very well. They have managed to create 3 or 4 fantastic women singles players without national rankings. They train against each other everyday improving each other's games. This doesn't happen in Canada. All if Canada's best players train individually all over the country. All over the world. During the summer I trained with another Canadian boy here in dongguan. Our Canadian players are all VERY individual.

18. catman

catman Regular Member

Ok, so if someone says who's the best ladies player Thailand - what do you say don't know there are 3 or 4 of them. But in Reality everyone knows who is the best player.

I agree if you have a national training center - athletes can help each other improve. But in Canada it's not feasible due the size of the country. Athletes also have other jobs and school in addition to Badminton.

19. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    Right, Intanon is the best player but how was she developed? There will always be a best player in a group. but, in this case, they were able to create a world champion. It was HOW they developed her. The Thai coaches have it right. Work together, train together, push each other up. There will always be the best one, but the point is that the best one keeps CHANGING. While one is the best the others learn from her, then start to beat her. and so on.

When you have a national ranking system, players from the same nation are more likely to push each other down. That whole system I mentioned above is non-existent. That is the problem that lies within national rankings. Yes, Canada is a big country, but if players were good enough and dedicated enough, they could move to Ottawa or wherever the training centre would be. I would, I moved to China lol. How about China? HUGE country. Players relocate on a regular basis for training. There are national training centres all over the country. Canada should and could work the same way China does. You excel in your city, move to the provincial team. excel in your province, move to national team and use system mentioned above. If this was implemented in Canada, we may create a few world class players. throw national rankings out the window and work on developing players. THIS IS MY VISION FOR CANADIAN BADMINTON (After I retire). Maybe I should follow in Taufik's footsteps and build a national training centre in my home town (Kitchener) lol

20. nbonkowsky

nbonkowsky Regular Member

Athlete/Coach
    TheComedian I like your vision and see where you are coming from for Canadian badminton. I was born and raised in Canada but compete for another country cause of duel citizenship. In Calgary I train at the Glencoe Club and some years ago it use to be the national training center for Canada, all the players moved here to train. But now it's no longer that way and we have a small but decently good program with only around 5-7 players in the High Performance/National Training Center group.

Unfortunately unlike Asia players in Canada cannot all dedicate their entire lives to badminton and need to go to school or work in order to fund their passion. Yes it is true there are some exceptions (Michelle Li, and others are full time training but it is not always an easy life). There simply isn't the same caliber or number of players in each city let alone province to have that effect of pushing each other forwards. It does happen but not to the same extent as in Asia. Players do tend to relocate either out east to some of the many centers in Ontario or out west to the centers in Vancouver. Essentially splitting the country into east and west in terms of training, this also means players develop their own groups.

So its not to say that they are very individual they are just all spread out and I know that players will regularly go other places to train with other players if they have the time and money. We have Alex Pang at our club and train a decent amount together, many players across Canada have come over for a few days or a week to train with him before tournaments. Yes that is different than months together but its what their schedule allows and lets be honest its expensive over here.

All in all I like your optimism for Canadian badminton and it is good that your time on the international scene has not come to an end yet. Best of luck in the china international, I was looking to attend that one but it would simply cost to much so am signed up for German GPG instead. I'm not trying to provoke or start an argument in any way so don't think that from what I said, just giving my view on it.