Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan -- the new Men's Doubles Olympics Champions!

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by badMania, Aug 16, 2008.

1. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    The crowd booed service judge, not to FHF...........

2. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    ANyway,congratulations to MK/HS..they deserved to win last nite.They didn't give CY/FHF too much chance to attack,n they take a full control,esp during the 3rd set.
    Congratulations once again,n Happy Independence Day for all of the indonesians including the indonesian athletes whose playing in beijing.Hopefully our other pair can get another gold medal today for indonesia as a present!

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Now, with the Olympics Gold Medal and the World Championships title safely stored inside the trophy cabinet, I hope our Golden pair will continue their excellent performance and humble attitude and not let the stardom affect them.

Here's a list of ST and LT goals that I think we can expect from Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan:

With an impending rest after the Olympics, they should return back to action in the Japan (Sep 16-21) and China Masters Super Series (Sep 23-28). Considering their excellent form in China, I think we can probably expect a good challenge there. The Japan Open title will also be a good addition to their list of triumphs.

Then, they will fly off to Europe and compete in the Denmark (Oct 21-26) and French Super Series (Sep 28-Nov 02). INA pairs traditionally do not do well in Europe, so, even going into the Final of these events will be considered a good achievements. Of course, a title will be very much welcomed.

The last 2 Opens of the year will be their favorite hunting-grounds, China (18-23 Nov) and Hong Kong Super Series (25-30 Nov). It's almost surreal to think that they have a 20-0 record in these 2 events for the past 2 years :eek: So, expect at least 1 more title here.

No doubt, the biggest events will be the All-England and the Sudirman Cup Mixed Team Championships. With the recent resurgence of INA WS and WD players, INA should have a fighting chance of winning back the Sudirman Cup (with strong challenges from CHN and KOR as usual).

The World Championships will also return after a 2 years absence (due to the Olympics), however, I think I would prefer another INA pair to win it this time round (Rian Sukmawan/Yonathan Suryatama Dasuki perhaps?)

Winning a couple of Super Series titles that they never won before should also be their priorities, like: Korea, Singapore, Japan, and China Masters (if they still couldn't win it this year); plus the few SS in Europes.

The 2 big events will be the Asian Games (Team & Individual) as well as the Thomas Cup. Since Asian Games will be held in Guangzhou (the place where they won 2 China Open titles), it bodes well for their prospect here! Thomas Cup will be a long-shot, but, if there are other Singles and Doubles players rising up within the next 2 years, who knows.....

4. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    MK/HS had succeeded to shut down the smash factory of cai/fu :)...

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

After witnessing another "easy" demolition of Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun in the second and rubber-set of the Final, I believe that they will not be INA pair's main opponent. I think Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae and perhaps the in-form Mohd Fairizizuan Mohd Tazari/Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif will be!

6. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Additional [non BWF events]:
    2008 INA National Championships, a Mixed Team event [like Sudirman Cup], where Kido-Hendra will represent their club, PB. Jaya Raya. Jaya Raya is the defending champion, having won the last event in Medan 2006.
    2008 INA Superliga Badminton, the Men's Team event [like Thomas Cup]. Kido-Hendra will be joined by Candra Wijaya and Joko Riadi.

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

When will these events be held?? Looking at the Calendar, there seems to be no empty slot? The Superliga Badminton will need at least 7-10 days, while the INA National Championships will also require at least a week?

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

kido/setiawan strategy works very well in this tournament:)
    after witnessing so many matches of them, they frequently give low ball to their opponent and forcing their opponent to give high ball where they can smash!.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if it were only that easy! :)

10. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    2008 INA National Championship is going to be November 10-15, the week before China Open.

2008 INA Superliga Badminton is booked to be played December 7-14, which is not a problem is there is not going to be any Superseries Finals [supposedly December 16-21]. BWF hasn't confirmed that yet, right? Terrible... :mad:

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Golden heroes welcomed home

Niken Prathivi , The Jakarta Post , Jakarta | Wed, 08/20/2008 10:21 AM | Headlines

Olympic gold medalists Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan received heroes' welcomes at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Jakarta on Tuesday after returning from Beijing.
    The men's badminton doubles pair, who won Indonesia's sole gold medal at the Beijing 2008 Olympics, were part of a group of 12 returning Indonesian athletes, including 11 shuttlers and a runner.
    They were welcomed home amid signs and banners by some 30 people, including their families, relatives and officials of the Indonesian Sports Council, the State Ministry for Sport and Youth Affairs and the Indonesian Badminton Association (PBSI).
    One banner read: "I Love You Kido-Hendra."
    With their gold medal victory, they kept alive Indonesia's run of winning at least one gold at every games since badminton was first featured at Barcelona 1992.
    "I'm very grateful," Kido said. "This victory is for Indonesia... it is my birthday present and it is for my late father."
    Hendra said they had prepared hard ahead of the Olympics.
    "We were longing for this... but we still had to work hard in the preceding All England and Asian Games," he said.
    Kido and Hendra, world championship winners in 2007, failed this year to win the All England and Asian Games for their first time.
    Kido's sister Pia Zebadia Bernadet, also a national shuttler, said all of her family members had enthusiastically received the Olympic champions.
    "We made this T-shirt with their pictures on it to welcome them," she said.
    "We have also prepared a welcoming party back home in Bekasi. We'll be partying until late," she added with a grin.
    Indonesia, with 24 athletes competing in seven sports, brought home a single gold, a silver and three bronze medals from Beijing; one bronze better than in Athens 2004.
    Badminton also contributed a silver medal through mixed doubles pair Nova Widianto and Lilyana Natsir and a bronze through surprise package Maria Kristin Yulianti in the women's singles.
    Indonesia won two bronze medals in weightlifting, with Eko Yuli Irawan finishing third in the men's under 57 kilograms event, and Triyatno in the men's under 62 kg. The team of five lifters returned home on Aug. 15.
    Badminton coach Sigit Pamungkas said he was satisfied with his proteges.
    "I'm very satisfied with Markis and Hendra. With this victory, they have proved their maturity by surviving the pressure. Especially Markis, he showed his best," he added.
    Nova and Lilyana might rue their missed chance for gold after being beaten in the final, but Lilyana said she would put the disappointment behind her and look ahead.
    "Nova and I will still be pairing in the next two years. So, we have to ready ourselves for the next Super Series," Lilyana said.
    Indonesia also participated in archery, athletics, windsurfing, swimming and shooting.
    Chef de mission Rosihan Arsyad said Indonesia needed to develop other sports so that it could win medals in events other than badminton.
    "Of course we are very grateful to badminton as it managed to contribute gold medals in the Olympic Games. However, we should start developing other sports as the next task will be harder."

12. george@chongwei

any pictures ?????

13. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    You can visit Kompas printed edition page here:

http://cetak.kompas.com/

Markis and his family are featured in today's Kompas frontpage.

14. halvepizza93

halvepizza93 Regular Member

begging
    i just hope jung/lee win the world championships

they have something to make op for (is that good english?:p)

15. diana_19

diana_19 Regular Member

College
    hai. i'm a new member, i like markis -hendra, they reminds me about chandra and sigit, my favourite mens double.

16. george@chongwei

hello..welcome to the forum and have fun surfing here:)

17. Erwin Kyoto

Erwin Kyoto Regular Member