[video] improve overall technique/tactics

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by alex292, Jan 6, 2013.

1. alex292

alex292 Regular Member

Student
    Hello,

I am looking for some advice and tipps concerning my technique (and tactics). I am regulary playing tournaments with my doubles partner since about two years and uploaded two videos from our latest tournament this weekend:

semi-final (first set): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6wqDIbXJ5Q
    final (parts of first set): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RubXE3VSF8

I am the tall (2m) guy with the yellow racket.
    In the semi-final we played against two opponents from our club, thats why I am a little bit more (over-)motivated in some situations :p
    The final was a tougher match, but we won in three sets :) But again, the rallies were pretty short, with a very high error-rate.

We usually play very offensive/aggressive and get the attack in almost every rally and against every opponent we play against, but we produce a lot of unforced and easy errors during play. Normally we try to bring my doubles partner to the back of the court, where he can use his big power smashes and I move up to take the net.

My technique looks pretty ugly, especially compared with my doubles partner's technique. I never had good coaching, so my technique just came by playing over time and maybe you could give me some advice on how to improve.

I would really appreciate your ideas concerning technique and tactics, thank you :)

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    1. get a tripod, it's hard to focus when the camera is constantly shaking.

2. need to see the whole court, or else we can't tell of your shot selection and can't comment on your strategy.

3. please tell us what part of your game you would like to improve so that when we are watching the video we know what to look for :)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Your partner is quite good. You should ask him for advice instead. One thing for you, even though you're quite tall, you seem to be a bit slow in moving backwards eg. lining up for a smash. Many times this results in you trying to strike the bird when it's past you. For a proper smash and power transfer, the bird has to be taken when it's about half a foot in front of your racket shoulder.

4. alex292

alex292 Regular Member

Student
    first of all: thank you :)

@gundamzaku:
    1.+2. a club member filmed the videos, for the next videos I will keep in mind to film the whole court.
    3. well I would hope to hear everything I can implement during training. something like "keeping the racket-head up" or else. maybe you have some ideas for me

@visor:
    ok, that is something I will try to focus on the next training. I also experience this problem when playing singles.

5. gundamzaku

working professional
    everything that visor said

but what i noticed was that taller players do tend to have more of a problem moving backward back peddling. check out some training you can do at home with footwork like "chinese footwork" that you can search on youtube, that's what i'm doing right now, helps with quick steps.

just watching your stance maybe bend your knees a bit more in defense like you do in the beginning of a point when you partner was about to serve and you're standing behind him.

given you don't seem to be close to being overweight like me, you should be able to move much faster than you do :) you have potential!

6. visor

visor Regular Member

2 more things to add. Grip further up to the cone when you're serving or in the front. Gives you better control and faster speed.

And your full swing for smashes look awkward, in the sense its not compact enough. Concentrate on accelerating the racket head fast into the bird at strike, with pronation and focused whipping action.

7. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

it's a foul when moving when servicing right? i saw you drag your leg every-time you serve! visor was right, your partner is good, you should get more advice from him.

8. alex292

alex292 Regular Member

Student
    There were some really good points I will try to focus on todays training.

Thank you :)

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I did not watch the video, but if he drags his foot without lifting it above the floor, in other words the foot still maintains contact with the foor during the dragging, it seems to be not a fault:

Law 9.13

Some part of both feet of the server and the receiver shall remain in contact with the surface of the court in a stationary position from the start of the service (Law 9.2) until the service is delivered (Law 9.3).

Unless one interprets "stationary position" differently. ;)

10. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Dragging would be a fault... ;)

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    So you interpret it as moving from one position to another and not remaining stationary.:D

Not if he lifts his foot slightly but with his toe still touching the floor, hahaha :D:D:D

12. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    dragging foot is fault - the foot position has moved.
    lift heal with toe still on floor is not fault if toe has not moved - the foot is still in position (position = position on the floor, not foot position/shape)

13. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

he should take note of that if not it will be a habit!

14. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Overall, I think you're both working very well. Movement is good, especially when either of you lift or the shuttle is lifted to your partner.

Few minor things you may wish to consider:

1) Your partner is a little lazy when you serve (especially in the 2nd video). He's on his heels with his racket down. It's a very bad habit.

2) Your racket dips a bit low in between shots, especially when you're at the net. I appreciate that you don't want to accidentally clip the shuttle, but tape height is better than hip height.

3) When your partner was serving, you were a little far back, especially in the 1st video. However, you appeared about right in the 2nd video.

4) Both you and your partner lifted a little too frequently, especially in the 1st video. On some of your opposition's pushes & net shots, you/your partner could have moved forwards and taken them a little earlier. It'll give you an opportunity to put a tougher net shot or drive in and force a lift.

5) Some of you/your partner's smash defense was a little loose. Driving upwards looks attacking, but strong opposition will intercept it early and put you under pressure. If you can't drive flat or downwards, consider a block or a lift.

6) You take up a really good position when the shuttle is lifted to your partner. However, when your partner plays a drop shot, consider taking 1 or 2 steps towards where the shuttle will land. A good example of this was at 2.34 in the 1st video. You could have let your opposition get out of trouble cheaply with a net shot.

15. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

just some things i noticed at first glance:
    1. you receive the serves too far away from the net. you stand like 50cm or even further away from the service line. try to stand nearer to the net and attack the service! there's no way you play a clear after the service! always try to play a drop or halfcourt-push as a return!
    2. in the final, at 2:03: why the hell are you playing a clear here? there's no way a clear even comes to your mind in this situation! this is an automatic net-drop, no alternatives!!
    3. your recovery after strokes is often bad. example? 0:34 of the 2nd video. you almost fall around the court. (there are other occassions where your recovery is weak, e.g. 1:50...). work on your strength/fitness/stability/balance!

and wtf: are you guys really playing high serves 50% of the time?

hth

for my interest: which league you play in germany?

16. alex292

alex292 Regular Member

Student
    thank you for all the feedback :)

concerning my service:
    I was quite surprised when I looked at the videos because I didn't notice that I was serving so quickly. Almost everytime I already served while still being in motion, I don't know if I was in some kind of hurry, but I will focus on standing still before I start serving next time. It definitely didn't feel so rushed.

@line&length:
    2) yes, that is a very bad habit I have. I always keep my racket up when my doubles partner is hitting the shuttlecock, but before the shuttle returns I tend to let it drop again. That is also one reason, why my overhead shots lock so ugly because I often start the swing with the racket in a bad position. I will try to focus on that :)

3) I actually did this on purpose because I knew our opponent from the first video and was expecting him to lift as a return of service. As the other forum-members already pointed out, that I am not very quick at moving backwards, so I tried to stand a little bit further back and wait for the shuttle. In the final game the opponent was much more aggressive on returning the service and I moved forward a bit to cover the mixed-spots.
    Hopefully my backwards-movement will improve and I can stand in the right spot every time :)

4) Yes, you're right. We were lifting a little bit more because we knew we didn't have to fear the smashes from one of our opponents, but I see your point in not being aggressive enough in defense. But moving forward in defense makes me quite uncomfortable because I am used and comfortable to defend below the waist. But especially against weaker smashers I should try to implement this.

5) That sounds good. Until now we didn't have many opponents who were so aggressive at intercepting, but it will definitely be good to keep in mind against future opponents.

6) I will try to focus on that too :)

Thank you for all the feedback. I was hoping for stuff like this. I will definitely try to focus on your advice during training today :)

17. Cycril

Cycril Regular Member

sorry for being out topic, but i have to ask this. are there anymore good/better player around your area? Maybe you should come to countries like M'sia where badminton is too common. A place where you can find very pro/talented player and learn/copy their movement on court.

18. alex292

alex292 Regular Member

Student
    @footwork:
    1) My position while receiving service is also caused by my bad backwards-movement. When I am standing on the service-line almost every opponent just uses flick-services and my error-rate is very high on retrieving them. I'll try to move forward a little bit in the future.
    2) Not the best desicion, I agree :)
    3) Yeah, it feels quite embarrassing to watch the video of me falling and stumbling around court.

Our team only has one squad and we are playing in "C-Klasse Frankfurt", but that is pretty boring. In the tournament we played "B-Klasse" and we also played severall tournaments in "A-Klasse" or "B-Klasse" last year.
    For next season I plan to change to a new club, that plays "A-Klasse Darmstadt".

19. gundamzaku

working professional
    don't be embarass, it's a learning process, it's good you have the courage to ask and the willingness to listen :)

20. gerald1994

gerald1994 Regular Member

Student
    Hmm.... Still really raw... a lot of things you still can work on.. But its good that you dare to upload your videos online to learn! Love that attitude of yours! If only my students was like that ;)

Well apart from coordination, balance and some minor problems (racket is down half the time) One thing you MUST have in order to bring your game to the next level. It's that kind of strategic follow ups, or like anticipating the shots.

Too often i see that after you hit the shots you tend to be blur and not know where to go and what to expect, causing you to appear slow, easy to be caught off-guard etc...

Well in order to build this kind of anticipating abilities, firstly of course you need to think while playing, and not just 'i want to lift over my opponent' and that's it.

You need to be familiar with all the different strokes and their uses. I know this sounds like very basic but in your game apparently there is not a lot of variations ( e.g no slice drop shots, no cross nets, half smashes)

In my site(no promotion intended) i actually wrote about the different variations of strokes and also their purpose and disadvantages. http://www.art-of-badminton.com

After you're clear with all your options, you need to start to anticipate what is next, the simplest example i can think of is playing against a small child, when you pin them at the baseline, you can actually stand closer to the net because you anticipate that the child would most probably do a drop shot because he doesn't have the power to lob back to base.

So with more practice and experience, you'll eventually build up on your anticipation 'feel', and your strategic game as you would be able to link your moves together, for example after a full smash at half court you dash forward for the net kill, hence bringing you to a whole new level of threat and efficiency in badminton! Good luck! :)