Terms used when we talk about Badminton Techniques and Training (Strokes/Shots)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by chris-ccc, Aug 2, 2010.

1. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    What is the name of this technique?

Appreciate if someone can tell me what is the name of this technique so i can properly put a description in our drills. Is it forehand attacking lift? or deceptive lift?
    [video=youtube;XSXT-oZ8hGo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSXT-oZ8hGo[/video]

2. alexh

alexh Regular Member

3. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    Thanks. Yes, i agree with you that this stroke can be called a net flick and it starts by showing to your opponent the net shot form then suddenly doing the net flick. Thanks.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Badminton terms: Difference between "Lift" and "Flick"

For a shot going up high (from an underarm stroke) to the back tram-lines, there are 2 ways of doing it;

* Using a full arm action - which I call it a "LIFT".
    * Using mostly a wrist action (with less arm action) - I call it a "FLICK".

5. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Says "Forehand attack shot" in the text, but what you usually call it in Japan is "lob".
    In Sweden we use the term "lyft" as in "lift" in English for both attacking and defensive purposes. I prefer to seperate lift and lob though and use the word lift for defensive and lob when attacking (i.e you lift it, but not as high and faster than a defensive lift).

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Answering what you have posted;

In Badminton, as soon as you are doing or forced to do an underarm stroke, the term used is usually called a defensive shot.

7. angelk8

angelk8 Regular Member

QA Engineer
    I always heard and seen this during tournament...:)

Adding in the term "FANCY PLAY" in our list ...:):):)

* Fancy play / trick - It's a hit / shot trying with unusual style or strange shot.
    * Alley = The area between the tram lines (the 2 side lines and/or the 2 back lines).
    * Around-the-Head Forehand Shot = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a forehand grip.
    * Back Tram Lines = The area between the last 2 lines at the back of the court.
    * Base Position = (For Singles Games) is the middle position between the net and the back line, and the middle position between the side lines.
    * Block = A shot hit by a racket-head swung with little or no movement at all. A Block Return of a Smash is most common.
    * Boleh = "Yes, we can" in Malaysian. It is yelled/cheered to players to encourage them to play better.
    * Bounce = A Dribble when we meet the shuttlecock 10cm below the net tape.
    * Carry = A scooping action on a shuttlecock during a stroke production. Some Australians call it a "Scoop".
    * Clear = Any shot played high (higher than the racket head held high) to our opponent.
    * Cut = Slice; A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock.
    * Deception = To fool and/or to wrong foot our opponent. Make him/her think we are executing this shot when we are playing another shot.
    * Defensive Clear = An overhead or underarm Clear executed to our opponent's Back Tram Lines; allowing us more time to return to our base position.
    * Dribble = Any shot played from ones' own forecourt to the opponents' forecourt with the shuttle passing in close proximity to the net tape.
    * Drill = A repetitious exercise as a means of learning and perfecting our skills (strokes, footwork, etc, ...).
    * Drive Return of Smash = A shot driven back quickly before our opponent is ready to intercept or to return it.
    * Drive Service = A Service that is hit hard and fast, hoping to pass past a receiver before he/she is ready to intercept it.
    * Dropshot = A shot played from our overhead position to the Fore Court of our opponent's court.
    * Floating Base = The base area considered as best for us to get to the corners (in time), before the shuttlecock travels there.
    * Fore Court = The area between the service line and the net.
    * Jia You = "Add Fuel" in Chinese (Mandarin). It is yelled/cheered to players to become stronger physically and mentally.
    * Kill = Hitting the shuttlecock in a downward direction to opponent's court with maximum power hoping to finish a rally.
    * Lift = A Clear which is played from an underarm stroke.
    * Mid Court = The area between the Fore Court and the Back Tram Lines.
    * Overhead Backhand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a backhand grip.
    * Overhead Forehand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head with a forehand grip.
    * Overhead Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head.
    * Punch Clear = An overhead Clear executed to just clear over the highest reach that can be met by our opponent.*
    * Push = A shot hit by a racket-head swung at constant velocity. A Doubles Low Service can be performed with a Push.
    * Service = The first stroke or shot played in a rally.
    * Shadow Badminton = A drill performed without using the shuttlecock.
    * Shot = How the shuttlecock travels. It describes the trajectory of the path taken by the shuttlecock.
    * Slice = A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock. Slice Smash and Slice Dropshot are most common.
    * Sliced Flat Clear = A Punch Clear executed with spin to the shuttlecock; to slow it down quicker after passing over the receiver.
    * Sliced Smash = A smash by hitting at the side of the shuttlecock (to cause the feathers to rotate); causing it to dip down quicker.
    * Spinning Netplay = A shot played near the net to our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to spin (rotating) over the net.
    * Stick Smash = A Smash generated by the wrist with little arm movement involved.
    * Stroke = How a player executes a shot. It relates to our stroke production. It describes our body action.
    * Tactics = The art of arranging one's game-play, in order to win or gain an advantage over one's opponents.
    * Tumble = A shot played near the net to the our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to somersault once or more times over the net.
    * Wall Drill = Drill for perfecting our strokes by hitting against the wall.
    * Wood Shot = When the shuttlecock is struck by the frame of the racket-head. "Frame Shot" is now gradually replacing this term.
    * XD Push Shot = Pushing the shuttlecock to the Side Tram Lines; directing it to fall between the front and the back players.

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Fancy Play/Trick

We thank angelk8 for adding the term "Fancy Play/Trick" to our list.

We shall place the term into our alphabetical list.

================================================

* Alley = The area between the tram lines (the 2 side lines and/or the 2 back lines).
    * Around-the-Head Forehand Shot = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a forehand grip.
    * Base Position = (For Singles Games) is the middle position between the net and the back line, and the middle position between the side lines.
    * Block = A shot hit by a racket-head swung with little or no movement at all. A Block Return of a Smash is most common.
    * Boleh = "Yes, we can" in Malaysian. It is yelled/cheered to players to encourage them to play better.
    * Carry = A scooping action on a shuttlecock during a stroke production. Some Australians call it a "Scoop".
    * Clear = Any shot played high (higher than the racket head held high) to our opponent.
    * Deception = To fool and/or to wrong foot our opponent. Make him/her think we are executing this shot when we are playing another shot.
    * Defensive Clear = An overhead or underarm Clear executed to our opponent's Back Tram Lines; allowing us more time to return to our base position.
    * Dribble = Any shot played from ones' own forecourt to the opponents' forecourt with the shuttle passing in close proximity to the net tape.
    * Drill = A repetitious exercise as a means of learning and perfecting our skills (strokes, footwork, etc, ...).
    * Drive Return of Smash = A shot driven back quickly before our opponent is ready to intercept or to return it.
    * Drive Service = A Service that is hit hard and fast, hoping to pass past a receiver before he/she is ready to intercept it.
    * Dropshot = A shot played from our overhead position to the Fore Court of our opponent's court.
    * Fancy Play/Trick = A hit/shot done with unusual style (or strange shot).
    * Floating Base = The base area considered as best for us to get to the corners (in time), before the shuttlecock travels there.
    * Jia You = "Add Fuel" in Chinese (Mandarin). It is yelled/cheered to players to become stronger physically and mentally.
    * Kill = Hitting the shuttlecock in a downward direction to opponent's court with maximum power hoping to finish a rally.
    * Overhead Backhand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head on the backhand side using a backhand grip.
    * Overhead Forehand Stroke = A stroke striking the shuttlecock high above our head with a forehand grip.
    * Punch Clear = An overhead Clear executed to just clear over the highest reach that can be met by our opponent.*
    * Push = A shot hit by a racket-head swung at constant velocity. A Doubles Low Service can be performed with a Push.
    * Shot = How the shuttlecock travels. It describes the trajectory of the path taken by the shuttlecock.
    * Slice = A shot made when we hit the side of the cork of the shuttlecock. Slice Smash and Slice Dropshot are most common.
    * Sliced Flat Clear = A Punch Clear executed with spin to the shuttlecock; to slow it down quicker after passing over the receiver.
    * Sliced Smash = A smash by hitting at the side of the shuttlecock (to cause the feathers to rotate); causing it to dip down quicker.
    * Spinning Netplay = A shot played near the net to our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to spin (rotating) over the net.
    * Stick Smash = A Smash generated by the wrist with little arm movement involved.
    * Stroke = How a player executes a shot. It relates to our stroke production. It describes our body action.
    * Tactics = The art of arranging one's game-play, in order to win or gain an advantage over one's opponents.
    * Tumble = A shot played near the net to the our opponent's Fore Court, creating the shuttlecock to somersault once or more times over the net.
    * Wood Shot = When the shuttlecock is struck by the frame of the racket-head. "Frame Shot" is now gradually replacing this term.
    * XD Push Shot = Pushing the shuttlecock to the Side Tram Lines; directing it to fall between the front and the back players.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Defining an Attacking Shot

While I was reading past posts in this thread, I remember the longest post that I have made (back in 2006, 14th of June) talking about "Defining an Attacking Shot". :):):)

Click on this link (to read) :
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...t-really-better-to-Attack?p=394781#post394781

Perhaps, I should copy it and paste it in this thread. :):):)

As we are talking more and more about services, ie whether a service can be an attacking shot or not... we have to consider what is defined as an attacking shot.

Different postings from different contributors tell me that we are not talking on the same wavelength. This could be because we are players of different skill levels, of different schools of thoughts, etc, etc...

So until we can agree on a definition, we won't make any progress in this forum.

My experience in coaching Badminton over the decades tells me that most players think that an attacking shot is a shot that is executed with a violent force, in a hostile manner, with the shuttle being struck at above net height downward toward the opponent's body or court. But now my trainees have learned something new from me.

My trainees now know that an attacking shot is any shot that can affect harm to his/her opponent, and it is a shot executed for that purpose alone.

Games like Pool, Snooker or Billiards are 2-dimensional games, length & width. I have played and enjoyed them. Badminton, on the other hand, is a 4-dimensional game. And I prefer Badminton better because of the extra 2 dimensions of height and time, although, Loh and taneepak, based on their postings, might want to add in another dimension, the 5th dimension, ie the human element... mental strength, feeling of being in control, toughness, psychology, etc, etc...

However, I am saying that we can attack with 1,2,3 or all of the 4-dimensions, length, width, height and time.

Please remember my definition...”An attacking shot is any shot that can affect harm”.

From my “first time to Badminton students”, a high service(in Singles) to the back tram lines is an attacking shot. This is because it pushes the opponent(also, first timers) to the back of the court. This is to do harm by moving the opponent away from the centre of the court. Of course, if Peter Gade is to serve high to Chen Hong, Chen Hong will not consider it as an attacking shot because it causes him no harm. Chen Hong can deal with it easily.

From viver, an experienced player, the S-Service(which is now banned) is an attacking shot. It is because it is a very tricky shot to deal with.

From Loh and taneepak, a good service or good netplay shot can be an attacking shot. It can force the opponent to lift or force the opponent into difficulties(time wise).

Another example of an attacking shot is the shooting service that taneepak mentioned. In fact, at the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne 2006, New Zealand claimed that Australia was cheating in their sevice when Australia played the shooting service.

From cooler and KooGuy, an attacking shot is a shot executed with a violent force, in a hostile manner, with the shuttle being struck at above net height downward toward the opponent's body or court.

From Chai, sendoh and chewablemorphin, any shot hitting upwards is not an attacking shot. I thought Loh hinted to us that PG beat BCL in the Singapore Open 2006 by attacking him with excellent netplay, but you did not see it that way.

From jerby, not only can you attack the opponent's court, but you can attack your opponent's stamina(the 6th dimension???).

From franxon and badrad, an attacking shot is good provided we are more careful to avoid errors. Here franxon and badrad tried to tell us that that an attacking shot is a tighter shot, a riskier shot to play.

For me, an attacking shot is any shot that forces the opponent to receive it not only below net height but a shot that puts pressure on the opponent time wise.

Here, I have 2 examples that hitting up shots can be "attacking";

-------------------------------------
    1. I learned from Darmadi, the Indonesian National Champion in the 1960's, that you can attack your opponent with a upward shot. His example is the attacking clear(giving very little time to your opponent to react). I have played with him and learned from him.

2. From the Sidek brothers, I learned the S-Service(now banned) is an attacking shot because it causes lots of difficulties to your opponent because the spinning and wobbly effect of the service.

We can even attack a smash if we can return a smash with a drive(giving him/her less time) to a corner far away from the smasher. This is using all 4 dimensions of the game, correct length, correct width, correct height and with less time.

Also we can now see that many players have learned to play a netplay shot with lots of spin and wobble. To me this is an attacking shot even though it is an upward shot. It can cause harm to your opponent. With the spinning and wobbly nature of the shot, your opponent might want to play safe and reply by lifting. But of course, your opponent can also spin it back to you, in other words, counter-attacking you.

I have also mentioned that as we progress with Badminton, we will learn new things. Soon we will learn better ways to deal with the spinning/wobbling netplay. At the moment, I tell my trainees to learn to spin/wobble it back at the netplay to force opponent to lift. Or even gently hit the spinning/wobbling shuttle with their racket frame instead of the racket strings.

So you see, an attacking shot can be performed with gentleness. Perhaps you can see my philosophy now, as Bruce Lee put it “You can attack your opponent with force or with gentleness”.

So, for all of us in this forum, let us define what an attacking shot is before we go any further.

I know exactly what franxon and badrad mean when they said “we have to be careful to avoid errors”. To play attack, we are subjected to more errors compared to if we play a safe/control shot. We can be risking errors if you play a harder smash, a tighter dropshot, a spinier netplay, etc...

To me, even a deceptive shot that can wrong foot your opponent is an attacking shot.

When I started this thread, I was thinking of all the points that I mentioned above. But I realise now that I did not know that different people look at the concept of “attack” so differently.

I apologise for it.

Wow... what a long post.

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Swipe

We shall add in the term "Swipe" to our list.

What is a "Swipe"?

For me, a "Swipe" is a sweeping blow or stroke executed during 'Dribble', when 2 opposing players are challenging each other in their fore courts'.

A "Swipe" is a stroke striking the shuttlecock with a follow-through of the racket-head over the net into the opponent's court. Note: The point of impact with the shuttlecock has to be on your side of the net.

We shall place this term into our alphabetical list.

* Fancy Play/Trick = A hit/shot done with unusual style (or strange shot).
    * Swipe = A sweeping blow or stroke striking the shuttlecock with a follow-through of the racket-head over the net into the opponent's court during the Dribble.

#170 chris-ccc, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  11. Optimal

Optimal Regular Member

Self employed
    THE FART

When a player puts extreme effort into a shot and accidentally passes wind, often putting their partner off.

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

LOL. That's a funny term. :):):)

Probably, it's best to place it in our BC Jokes thread.

13. sange

sange Regular Member

clerk
    in the past, i browsed some webs in searching for the terms on badminton but got a few of them. after all, as for me, english is not my mother tongue, i couldn't translated the chinese articls into english well. so, i was ever confused with it long. to my joy, i get some here and share with the netizens. thanks a lot to the thread and the posts.:)
    i am looking for the following reply to help the chris-ccc perfect the thread.

14. sange

sange Regular Member

clerk
    Push = Movement with a constant speed with the swing of the racket-head
    er?
    in chinese, a push shot is not expained like this, in general, pushes are divided into two types, underarm push and overarm push, according to the height of the return of shuttle at midcourt or near the net, and, based on the concrete situations, you can choose a gentle action or a sudden action with rotation of the wrist to push the shuttle.
    the most important, you'd better grasp the oppotunity as you can, ensure the height of shuttle, push the shuttle by overarm push, and get a good effect.

15. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I think gentle action=push and sudden action=drive.

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Badminton Strokes/Shots that we wish to know

Hi sange,

Please feel free to add more Badminton terms for us, BCers.

Do post some of the Chinese articles. You'll never know, other BCers could translate them.

Also, correct translation is not as important as the idea/description of the various Badminton Strokes/Shots that we wish to know.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The pushshot is a gentle but accurate shot often used in Doubles

Correct. That's what I meant.

The pushshot is a gentle but accurate shot often used in Doubles.

It is directed to an area that causes trouble as to whom of the opponent partners is best to return it. It is to cause hesitation between them partners; And by the time it is returned, their late return is usually not a good one.

#177 chris-ccc, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  18. Brilliant Gen

Brilliant Gen Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Hahah there's sooo many posts! I'm wondering were the terms "Tapping" and "flick" mentioned?

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Comment on these 2 terms - "Tap" and "Flick"

Hoping that you can contribute; To comment/inform us on these 2 terms - "Tap" and "Flick".

20. Brilliant Gen

Brilliant Gen Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Alrighty, I'll try my best to explain :) The tap is basically the same as the Net Kill while the flick is a flat shot executed at the net area that travels in a flat manner, in a way it's like a very flat lift in the forecourt~