Consider switching my racket~

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Kelvin T, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Hi all BC-ers :) Is been a while since I back to post in this forum for some advice.

I have been attending badminton coaching for a year and a half, been learning all the basic skills that are necessary for me to play a better game in badminton. Hence, developing a bit of my playing style:

Playing style: All-round (But will take more of the offensive role or help setting up for my partner if he is too tired)
    Game play: Mostly doubles (Play twice a week)
    Current racket: Fischer Black Granite Comp (strung with BG66 Ultimax @ 25lbs)

My current racket have been serving me well throughout my training as a beginner. The racket have flex shaft with even-balanced head and the racket feels light (only 83g). Since I have progress in my game, my family decide to purchase me a racket as a Xmas present as a sign of support for my hobby :D

Yet now my consideration is: Am I ready to handle a stiff racket and slightly head heavier racket? I have never handle a stiff and head heavy racket before but I wanted to try. Will it be hard for me to adapt? I had tried a Kason TSF300A from my friend before, I tried most of my skill in everything and it serve me really well (Thou I'm confused am I performing the proper skills or did the racket "make" it looks like I did perform okay:confused:) . What do you all think? Is it really fine for a newbie like me to handle a stiff racket that I never try before?

Moreover, is there any recommendation? Thanks in advance. :)

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Best to advance gradually. Start with mid flex, balanced to slightly head heavy. Like Arc 7,9, BS 12.

3. Desouled

Desouled Regular Member

Desk
    Great stance by the family!

If budget's not a problem, the Yonex Ti10 would be a good choice in my opinion.
    Otherwise I'd fall back on my favorite brand - Carlton! The VT Tour's a pretty good option with its even-balance.

All the best, whatever you choose!

4. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    it is your skills and training that make it look like you can handle the racket. Racket is only one part of the equation. After 1 and half year of training under a coach, I am quite sure you can handle stiff racket, just whether you like the feeling of stiff racket. Go for it if you are comfortable with it. If you like stiff and even-balanced, you can try Gosen Ryoga Tenbu. It is a lesser known racket compared to the rest of the brands. End of the day, most of the recommendations are usually by the people who use those rackets. One man's meat is another man's poison. You got to like the feel/swing of the racket. We are only making suggestions. :D cheers to you and your supportive family.

5. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

wow, 83 grams thats like 6u! maybe thats why it feels like a flexible racket.

you could probably adapt to 4u/3u stiff racket quite easily with your training but as above having an even balanced to slightly heavy head racket probably would suit your style.

since its a one off gift then i'd recommend you get the 4u version of the Victor MX80 (rm560). its stiff and slightly heavy head, pretty decent all rounder racket for singles and doubles. nice to swing round. If you think its too heavy head or too expensive then try the BS10 or 11 (RM420).

6. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    visor- Thanks for the advise, will consider about it by proceeding gradually in switching racket. However, if I straight away try handle a stiff and heavy-headed racket, it is okay? :)

Desouled- Well, budget might be a problem as they promised only sponsor RM300 to RM400 for me as a one-shot support for my interest in the game :p. Yet, I'm fairly satisfied with the budget as it is their hard-earned money and I truly believed that they don't want to make me a spoiled brat by buying me really expensive racket. Moreover, I truly understand skills is everything and racket only make partial part of the game :). Carlton eh? IMHO I had a low-end Carlton racket before from my sister, I feel the racket is really hard to generate power to produce decent lob compared to my Fischer, so I did not have much experiences with Carlton. Thou, I believed the high-end racket might be really different compared to the lower-end, thanks anyway and truly appreciate it. ;)

vcrpex- A question from me, how to you actually feel the racket by swinging it? I done it couple of times in the shop but I feel almost the same for every rackets, but I could differentiate the head weight. Could you teach me a thing or two regarding how do I actually choose a racket? :) In my opinion, I test the racket based on the racket I managed to borrow, from there I decide whether can I really handle such racket. But I will like to enhance my knowledge on racket selection.

moomoo- Haha, the Fischer racket is a 4U racket and it is really a racket with a very flex shaft. :) Victor MX80 is too much for my budget but BS series is under my consideration, however I heard that Victor racket shaft is the most stiff compared to other brands (Just from my friend's point of view:confused:). i never have an experience in handling a Victor racket before because non of my friends have it that could borrow me for a test run :crying: (More of a test run person than relying on pure information). So maybe you could provide me some feedback from your own opinion on the Victor racket. Thanks in advance.

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Hi Kelvin T,

for RM 300 to RM400 you can buy one of all high end Babolat rackets.

8. Desouled

Desouled Regular Member

Desk
    Don't mention it man! I've got 6 Carlton racekts and 5 Yonex ones, and they've all performed pretty good for me so far. If budget's a problem I've seen some very decent high-end Carltons at Honly in JB, mainly the VT Elite and Tour. The former's a heavy weight, coming in at 90g unstrung and with a stiff flex.

9. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Wow, Babolat is a brand that relatively new to me...I heard of it but never really read those review on it. So far pro players I only know Tine Baun and Julianne Scheck used this brand...:) Sorry for being not very knowledgeable ~

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    If you can get a Victor with your budget go for a Victor.:)

moomoo wrote that the BS are at around RM 400. Really? Go for a BS09 or BS11 if you don't want it too stiff. The BS11 has a nice stiffness imo.

11. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Desouled- Thanks for the info:D Since you are living in Singapore, which part of Singapore do people usually looks for badminton equipment? Kind to share the location so next time if I have the chance to visit, I should pay a visit too.. I heard you can get Kason racket at Singapore...thou I'm considering buying one myself...xD

12. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    ucantseeme- Thanks for the info. Will try on it in the shop before making a decision. :)

Desouled & ucantseeme- Although this section are mainly discussing on racket, but I would like to ask what shoes you guys are wearing currently and any recommendation for me. I do not see a point opening another post in the accessories section since I had gather certain amount of people in this post, so I might as well ask here. :D

The shoes I'm using currently is Dunlop low-end shoes which only cost me RM50. It is not very comfortable and I truly think that the front part of the shoes feels really hard. It is not a rubber-based shoes. Due to the fact that the front part is hard, I had experienced several bleeding on my toes due to constantly hitting the front part of the shoes when I lunged.

Since now I'm really passion and into the game, I'm looking for a pair of durable and light shoes which can support me in my training once a week. My budget will be around RM250 to around RM280 maximum. I have my eye on Asics since I read a lot of positive comment about it. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance again. :)

13. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    Hi Kelvin T,
    swinging the racket at the shop basically is just a gut feel of what you like. Only you will know what feel right for yourself. Do a full swing and a wrist smash in the shop if the shop ceiling arent too low. Playing your friend's racket, you might like it. But if you got to a shop and get the exact same one, it might feel very different because of the balance of the racket. All in all, high end or not, go with something that you feel that it is an extension of your arm. Reading reviews here might tempt you to buy one of the more favoured ones. But remember everyone's preference is different.

I would say that shoes are more important. Seeing that you bleed on your toes, time to change your shoes. there really is a difference between the cheaper and more expensive ones. sometimes you can get the more expensive when they are clearing stocks for newer models to come. In singapore, usually it is at Queensway shopping centre where alot of sport shops are there. Ironically alot of Singaporeans including me like to go JB to buy badminton stuffs instead.

14. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student

You have to buy yourself a new shoes, or you will ruin your game...

Use the money to buy a good shoes, then save the rest & buy a new racket in the future.
    Besides, Chinese new year is just around the corner.. HINT ... HINT ... :D :D :D

15. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

yeah really good shoes are more important than a really good racket.

i'd recommend the new Asics blast 4, you can get it at rm320 in pertama complex. but if its too much you can get most of the mizuno indoor shoes at sogo, lvl 5 @50% discount due to the sale so between 200-250 :D

16. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    You can get Ti-10 limited for Rm357 in Hock Eng, Bangi ( without string).

17. Tvbifreak

Tvbifreak Regular Member

Student
    Can I suggest one of the N-series Li Ning rackets? :p They are not as expensive as the high end Yonex, but imo they perform a lot better~!! :D :D My faves are the N50I and the N90II

18. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

no way, most of the li-ning N series over here costs 30% more than VT80 :S

19. Kelvin T

Kelvin T Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone,

I had been back from a hectic month with my assignments and exams. Well, of course I did not forget about badminton to release my tension. Anyway I been scouting for rackets all this while and my choice of racket will probably be listed as below:

1st Choice: Kason TSF300A
    2nd Choice: Li-Ning Rock 500
    3rd Choice: Yonex Ti-10 LTD
    or 4th choice: Any recommended Victor Racket (Mostly BS series, but I'm more looking forward to the BS LYD version) xD

Any comments on my choice? Mostly 1st and 2nd choice I had tried before with my friends racket and I find it easy to handle for player like me. 3rd and 4th choice are basically based on review on forum and recommends. Please provide me with some feedback.

Thanks. :)

20. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Since you have tried 1st & 2nd choice & comfortable with them, then go all the way with those.
    What is your current string tension now?

For your information, my friend broke his Kason TSF-300A when he strung it around 30LBS, suddenly there is a crack sound, when the stringer still play with TSF-300A