New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

either 88 or 89g:):)

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    You must be Superman :) 87g should be fine for me since my VT80 is 87g. :)

3. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    Finally, after many months of struggling, considering, and waiting, my MX80 finally arrived last night..

Got a chance to play for 30 minutes ( yes, only 30 minutes :( ) and I must say, like the other BC member said, an expensive racket played different with a cheap one.. The sound is more crispy, the accuracy is way better, and it demands more perfect-technique ( I don't know why, but last night i can't do smash very well, all of my smash becoming flat :( )

Many thanks to Eric from SquashMart.. If it not bcoz of him, I wouldn't buy this racket.. He gave me the best price ever, better than others.. I think if I want to buy a new racket, I'm going to buy at him.. :D

Btw, my MX80's weight is 87G, using 1 RKEP, VS850 @25lbs ( felt like 26/27lbs to me )

4. Tinshuttle

Tinshuttle Regular Member

Import / Marketing
    My MX80 arrived from HK today, dry weight was measured at 86g, Strung with 66um @ 24 x 26lbs wrapped with yonex ac 102 BP at 297 mm. Initially feels stiffer than my 4u and 3u vt 80. will have to wait until wednesday to test it out. Time to let go of my VT 70....:p

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I would recommend holding on to the VT70 - playing with the MX80 can get very tiring^^ And to smash hard, you really have to get behind the shuttle and put everything into the smash. The VT80 is noticeably easier to play with for me, but it doesn't 'help' you when you're tired either...

6. Blackmambaz

Blackmambaz Regular Member

anyone know where to buy mx80 in melbourne? been looking everywhere :(

7. Tinshuttle

Import / Marketing
    I am very used to playing with my 3u vt80 for a couple of month now, there is no way I am going back to my VT70 as it feels way too 'light'. Maybe I should replace my replacement grip on my MX80 to scale down the bp from 298 to around 290 hmm

8. drop8shot

drop8shot Regular Member

damn, I've got a mint condition MX80 that I am looking to swap for a VT70, we could have done a swap

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Mini review:) I've not played enough with it yet to fully judge it, an update will come tomorrow probably...

Before I go further, everyone here knows how much I rate the SW35 and for the SW35 is the best racket ever made by any company. I cannot compare the MX80 to the SW35, as I haven't played with my SW35 recently due to vacations and studies. I will get them both strung up next week though, and then I can give a direct comparison then.:)

Specifications...

Weight/Grip Size: 3UG2 (I was told that it was 88g+)
    String: VS850
    Tension: 27lbs

Original grip removed, replaced with a thin layer of RKEP G09L, that's it.
    Haven't measured BP, but it's similar to the SW35.

Ok, so for me this racket plays very similar to my SW35. When you swing it when playing a clear for example, you can feel the head weight, but when defending a smash, the weight in the head is gone! Strange. Easier to defend with than SW35 I felt.

Round the net, no problems. Everything is easy to perform as you would expect. The head speed of this racket is impressive, it's fun to get involved in drive rallies with your opponents with this racket, usually something I would try and avoid, now it's something I try and encourage by stepping up in the court trying to force my opponents to take me on.

As someone mentioned earlier, backhand stuff seems to be fairly simple, this for me is actually a bad thing, as it encourages me to be really lazy. (I have noticed myself when playing training matches just deciding to turn and play the high backhand, cause I know I can a good length on it.

The one thing I would say, is that I haven't quite mastered smashing with this racket yet. I suppose it's just a timing issue, but during my training matches, I tended to drag my smashes into the net. (I'm pressuming this is down to the racket being faster than all the rackets I've used since my NS9900 2 years ago) therefore I'm swinging to quickly, and ultimately hitting the shuttle at a more downward angle causing it to go into the net. Again with time this will come to me:)

The shaft of this racket, isn't as stiff as people have made it out to be, for me, it's not quite as stiff as the SW35, but it's almost there. The one thing I would say about the shaft is it reminds me of the SW35. When you play a clear for example with the MX80. You get great feedback and feel, something I feel the SW35 also possesses.

Hopefully I can be more comprehensive after giving it more hours. I have no tournaments for another 3 weeks, so I have time to decide...

Question is, will i stick with the MX80, or go back to the SW35... Place your bets now!:)

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have the same dilemma!!!

11. madbad

madbad Regular Member

You should conduct an official MX-80 v SW-35 head to head. Then you'll know for sure.

12. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Does a MX80 vs SW35 thread exist ?

The thing is, I know like the back of my hand everything about the SW35. I have full confidence in the racket. Of course as the MX80 Is new, it has to earn the trust.:) definitely going the right way about it so far...

Maybe we can have a "official" comparison of the two rackets. Just give me time to get my SW35's restrung.:)

13. madbad

madbad Regular Member

There you go. Start an official MX-80 v SW-35 thread.

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

15. Tinshuttle

Import / Marketing
    Just played with it tonight, fell in love with it after a few swings, it has a very solid and repulsive feel, nicely stiff but not as stiff as ns9900. lifts and clears were easier to go out compared to my 3u vt 80 but drives, defensive and net shots felt Much more controllable. It was strung at the same tension as my 4u vt 80 by the same stringer at 24 26 but mx80 felt just that much tighter. Smashes had less kaboom feel compared to vt 80 for sure. But it's a much more agile and requires less stamina in comparison

I am going to get a couple more for sure, is your racket 3u or 4u? whats the code CN or HK or TW ? my VT70 is 4u4 SP mint condition as well. I am definitely up for a swap still.

16. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Got my MX80!!!!! Big thanks to visor for organising the group buy.

So it's a wet weight of 98g (that is VS850 at 27lbs and RKEP G09 grips and I left the plastic wrapping on the handle). So I guess I got a dry weight of 88g? Any cons for leaving the plastic wrapping on?

My MX80 seems less HH but more stiff than my VT80. Definitely more accurate in my placement shots with the MX80 but slightly less smashing power. No adjustments were necessary when switching between the two rackets. Played 4 games of singles with a split 2-2. Each racket was 1-1 on the night. Need more time with the MX80. But I feel I will love them both and depending on my mood will determine which racket I will use for the session. Used Yonex AS30 which lasted only 1 feather per game. Probably could have stretched it but most likely would have switch to a new feather mid-game.

Thanks again to visor. You're the best.

17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Ah, you have tested your new weapon. I pick mine up tomorrow night.

A big thanks to Visor for organizing the group buy.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Not as stiff as the NS9900? I dont own the NS, but when I tested it, it sure felt softer than the MX. Perhaps the head weight makes it easier to bend the MX, but the shaft stiffness is the highest I've seen so far (I don't know about the Arc8DX though, never actually held it in my hands). Not by much, but noticeable.

19. Tinshuttle

Import / Marketing
    Well since it has 80 holes design, it does feel tighter and more solid than racquet with 70+ holes. I feel the bend of it's shaft when I smash or Clear easier compared to Ns9900, which I think it has one of the stiffest shaft out there.

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Hey, no problem! :). We all win by saving postal costs. ....... Handle wrapper weighs around 2g, so that means your racket is around 86g? Leaving it on should be fine, as the hologram is underneath that and certifies its authenticity should you need to sell it in the future. I would say to use the mx80 for doubles more as it has this amazing speed and accuracy for fast play. Get yourself into some fast drive exchange battles and you'll know what I mean. :D