Questions on string feel, weight, colour and tying method

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Damaoren, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Damaoren

Damaoren Regular Member

Student
    Hi fellow BC members, i have a question regarding the difference between a soft feeling and hard feeling string.
    Heres my story: I recently bought an RSL M11 scream 180 ltd (4ug5). After tying a black BG68ti on it at 25lbs and 25.5lbs at the sweet spot area, i find that the racket was like a lot more heavier. i also realise that even though i was using a soft feeling string, it feels hard and tight- lifting was tad too bouncy but lobbing was hard work :confused:.

-What is the difference if i tie a soft feeling string at a very high tension and a hard feeling string on a lower tension? How will they feel? How are they different?

-How does tying a string on a racket add weight to a racket? Is it due to the thickness? The tension?

-Will having a tighter tension at the sweet spot area improve performance? How?

-The stringer guy told me to get the black string because it has better performance:eek: (What?) due to it's material. Is that true?

(i know it sounds like some essay questions, and i don't want to spam posting the questions one by one in different threads. I appreciate your answers!)

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

The soft feeling strings are usually thicker such as BG65. Thick strings at high tensions will feel stiff rather than hard as the area of contact on the string bed of the shuttle is denser (thicker string so more area in contact compared to a thinner string) and higher area of contact equals lower impact pressure thus less repulsion. The hard feeling string at a lower tension will only feel bouncier and in a way "soft".

BG68Ti is the only exception, although most say that it actually feels sharp and probably due to the bounciness makes people think that it is "soft".

The difference is very minuscule and if you were to measure it using a digital balance the most you would get is probably still a lot less than 0.5 gram comparing the thickest string at zero tension to the thinnest string strung at its maximum tension limit.

The sweet spot area is a very small spot near the centre of the string bed. To do so you will have to increase the tension of the main strings and cross strings that coincide at that area, provided that you can find it. Truth is you are better off using higher string tension as higher tension concentrates the spot further by decreasing the area but in turn making the spot much more repulsive.

He must have too many or only a supply of black strings :p

Truth is there is not much difference although some say the yellow strings tend to feel slightly rougher on the surface for the "uneven" surfaced strings such as BG80 and Zymax 70.

3. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

do you have a link to the spec of your racket? I can't see to find your racket on the rsl website.

weight difference is very minor. All the strings I've tried only add between 3-3.5g to a rackets weight

4. Damaoren

Damaoren Regular Member

Student
    I do not have the spec of my racket but all I know is that it's slightly head-heavy, has a medium-stiff flex, and a max tension of 28 lbs. 3-3.5 grams may seem to make a difference, wouldn't it?

5. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

only around 0.5g difference between the lightest and heaviest string that I have used.

while adding an overgrip will add anywhere between 3-7g to the racket weight. Which will shift the wet weight bp. But personally I don't think it actually affects the swing weight of the racket that much.

6. Damaoren

Damaoren Regular Member

Student
    Alright. Thanks for answering