Who will retire first; Lin Dan or Lee Chong Wei?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, May 18, 2010.

1. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

more than once that Lin Dan said he would like to play until he is 35.

2. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

I think LCW will do like uncle WCH, go independent, nicely enjoy baddy.

The Star Online > Sports
    Wednesday July 27, 2011
    London outing will not be the last world tournament for Chong Wei
    By RAJES PAUL
    KUALA LUMPUR: World No. 1 shuttler Lee Chong Wei served up some good news for Malaysian fans before leaving for the Bath University in London yesterday to resume his final preparation for the World Championships.
    The 29-year-old Chong Wei announced that this year’s world meet, to be held at Wembley from Aug 8-14, would not be his last.
    All the World Championships-bound players left for England yesterday and they will undergo centralised training at the Bath University until Aug 4 before leaving for Wembley.
    Besides Chong Wei, the others are Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif-Hoon Thien How, Lim Khim Wah-Chan Peng Soon, Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty, Ng Hui Lin-Ng Hui Ern, Goh Liu Ying, Ong Jian Guo-Sabrina Chong.
    Veteran Wong Choong Hann, who is the sole independent player in the squad, will head for Wembley next week.
    Chong Wei had initially stated that his badminton career would take a back seat after next year’s London Olympic Games.
    This year, his rivals Lin Dan of China and Peter-Gade Christensen of Denmark also indicated that they had no intention of stepping down until the new generation of players takes over from them.
    “The World Championships are held every year except when it’s the Olympic year. I will compete at the next world meet (2013) and even the next Asian Games (2014) if I can still meet the physical demands of the game,” said Chong Wei.
    “I have not won the Olympic, world and Asian titles and I want to add them to my collection. I have also decided to stay on because there is no one to take over my place just yet.”
    None of Chong Wei’s younger team-mates – Liew Daren, Chan Kwong Beng and Chong Wei Feng – are in the same league as him.
    Chong Wei, who has had time to study the draw for the world meet, said: “Basically, I will be meeting the same players. China have four qualifiers and two of them – Chen Jin and Chen Long – are in my half. I will take it one match at a time.”
    The other two China players – three-time world champion Lin Dan and Du Pengyu – are in the lower half of the draw.
    Besides Chen Jin and Chen Long, the others in Chong Wei’s half are Thailand’s Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk, Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka of Indonesia, South Korean Park Sung-hwan and former world champion Taufik Hiadayt of Indonesia.
    “I am excited at the prospect of playing at Wembley. It is the same venue for next year’s Olympic Games. It will be a good experience for all the players,” he said.
    “My goal remains the same – to go all out to win the country’s first title for the country. “For now, my concern is to stay injury-free.”
    For the record, Malaysia have failed to win a world title since the tournament’s inception in 1977.

http://thestar.com.my/services/printerfriendly.asp?file=/2011/7/27/sports/9181273.asp&sec=sports

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    so hopefully there is no ladies disrupting him. better shield him. lol. ;)

4. eaglehelang

[h=2]Badminton: Chong Wei to review retirement decision[/h] K.M. Boopathy
    boopathy@nst.com.my
    2011/07/27

LEE Chong Wei is having second thoughts about retiring after the 2012 London Olympics as he wants to play in the 2013 World Championships, provided he is still the World No 1 and free of injuries.
    Chong Wei said yesterday that next month's World Championships in London may not be the last when commenting on his chances of winning his first major crown.

This may be interpreted as his way of avoiding pressure leading up to the Aug 8-14 event but Chong Wei feels there is no reason to quit if he remains the best player in the business two years from now.

"The London World Championships is important as I am aiming to win it but it may not be the last for me. My form and condition permitting, I may still play in 2013," said Chong Wei.

"Yes, I did mention several times that I would like to retire after next year's Olympics because my target is to win gold and it is the biggest event. But if I can stay as the World No 1 and there are no injuries, then why not? I can probably continue until the 2014 Asian Games.

"During the post-Olympic period, I will focus on the big events that I haven't won like the Asian Games and a few others."

However, this does not mean Chong Wei has already thrown in the towel ahead of the World Championships.

"I suspected from the beginning, that I will be playing at least two China players from the quarter-finals.

"And I've got the stronger two in Chen Long (in the last eight) and Chen Jin (in the semis),"said Chong Wei.

"I also have some good players in early matches, so I will take it one match at a time. I don't want to approach it as if it's the last outing.

"The training at the University of Bath is important as we can acclimatise to local conditions and adjust to the time change. This is crucial in getting ready for the event."

Chong Wei and his teammates left for the University of Bath in England last night. They will train there until Aug 4 and then shift their base to London later the same day.

http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/43lees/Article/art_print

[HR][/HR]

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

so, you haven't been to Bath lately have you?
    for this time of the year, Bath is full of tourists, mainly young ladies from USA, Australia and all over europe!

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    read post 142

i think he want to win more major
    if he win every all england until 2014,then he will have 5,lin dan have 4 right?
    lcw still have his hunger for those major
    if he start win every major till 2014
    he will have 5 ae,3 wc,1 og,1 ag
    BUT,if only if

7. eaglehelang

Supposed his plan to get married is after OG 2012, assuming the intended lady still choo2(and they dont break up again). LCW can take a couple of months off, relax2, go round the world on honeymoon...:D:D

8. eaglehelang

If got sponsor, why not? LCW can even sponsor himself, as long as fit to play. He can go independent, become like WCH, Taufik. As for winning major, maybe not, I think he just take it as it comes

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    some rumor said lcw paid 6 figure income tax
    so i guess many sponsor would like to sponsor him
    till date he had more than 10 endorsement contract already,and each of them at least rm 300,000 i guess
    he can afford it,just like taufik:p

10. laonong

laonong Regular Member

Theoretically. But he may not be able to beat Chen long after 2012 or even earlier.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I guess you found me out, there! :D:D:D

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    No need! Wife is qualified to become trainer, assistant coach, physiotherapist, masseur... :D LCW adds to free chair collection for his new massage parlour business.
    BAM also saves a lot of money, help to find more MS champions (ahem... wishful thinking here...)
    Win-win situation. :D:D:D

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    we shall see as they might meet soon in wc

i think lcw will planning to open a massage shop some bukit bintang with all his chair collection
    another income for him!
    haha

15. strongnous

strongnous New Member

Trading
    lindan first, because of having wife ^^

16. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Good one. I couldn't guess what LCW would do with his chairs collection. :):):)

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..btw, if not mistaken, BWF is thinking of changing its WC event back to biennially after the 2012 OG. So if that's the case, then max only 2 WC chances for LCW if he plays til 2014.

..realistically, from what i've seen, there will be no M'sia MS player replacing LCW in the next 5 yrs, at least. Heck, maybe no one will be there to replace him in the next 10 yrs..Maybe LCW might show up in the 2016 OG in Brasil??..(sorry to sound like i'm putting a damper on M'sia MS badminton scene for the future)..

#157 ctjcad, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Now you know why LCW, together with LD, TH and PG, are all delaying their retirement. These 4 Heavenly Kings are still looking for their successors. ;););)

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

These 4 Heavenly Kings are still looking for their successors??..
    ..out of those 4 current MS Heavenly Kings and comparing who are next in line/their successors, imo, it's Datuk LCW who can least afford to retire early...PG, LD and TH could possibly retire early, as soon as end of 2012 OG, and their national association would have at least 1 player (in early 20s) who can step up and lead their MS dept..

20. flite

flite Regular Member

YES the 4 heavenly kings are still looking for their WORTHY successors. It depends on what kind of successor you are talking about... kindly share your new findings with us and hopefully its something worth to discuss.

As we all can see, its only China that has proven their next line of players are capable of scoring it big at the world stage. The rest like Indonesia, Malaysia and Denmark have the same faith more or less... but no matter how bad the state is, these 4 nations are still capable of giving other countries outside of Asia a good whack in the butt.. any time, any day.

So stop blowing the whistle as if we don't know.