Yonex Nanogy 98 New String (NBG98)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by ants, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    ssgg007 - thanks for the info.

I've just played my first serious games with the NG98 SP - 28 lbs

First impressions are good. Nice feel for the shot. Nice sound to the smashes (but it could have been the hall I was playing in...!) (or is it the 0.66mm gauge?). Can spin the shuttle which is great!

The only other string on my to try list is the BG80 power which is so recommended by forum members. After that, I'll settle on final choice.

2. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

cheung-

are you using the sp version of the string? And which colour are you using? the silver or the gold one?

I quite like the feel of the 98. So I will most likely stick to it for my regular 2 rackets. And for my not so regular rackets, I will have 95 on them instead.

3. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    I tried the NBG 98 this afternoon - unknowingly at first - and was very very impressed with its performance. I was testing-out my friend's old Carbonex 9 which he had recently got re-strung. It was only after I handed his Cab back that I realised it was strung with 98, and not the BG65ti which I had originally assumed. Repulsion was good, but the feeling was awesome. It was 'only' strung at 23lbs, 2 lbs short of my ideal tension, but it still felt very nice. I did, however, notice a bit of vibration when I was performing 'big' shots, but I think that might be down to the antiquated nature of the racket rather than the string itself.

Would I be prepared to switch strings? No, but only because I feel its durability may let it down. My current go-to string is the BG65ti. Where I'm from, The 65ti is pretty much the standard. It's generally a very good string. I like it, but I use it mostly because of its durability properties. As I don't string my own rackets, durability is my main priority. Strangely, Yonex rate the Nanogy 98 7/10 it terms of durability, equal to the BG65ti and 1 more than the BG80. I find this hard to believe considering the 98 measures at 0.66mm. HOWEVER, if I were to string my own rackets - and I hope to soon - then I would definetely consider switching to the 98. Stingers World uk sell the 98 in 10m sets for £4.54, which I think is very reasonable for such a good string.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I have the SP version. The natural colour. I played a number of games today. It's a bit difficult to do the soft midcourt pushes - this might be because the shuttles were slower than normal. I was playing a few days ago and got a very nice feel of shuttle on the strings. I'm quite happy with the spin.

5. allyjack110

Between the BG-80 and Nanogy 98, which string is the more durable? I really like the 98 but am 'put-off' by its ultra-thin guage. I am currently playing with the BG65ti at 25lbs but it is starting to kill my bicep. Maybe a softer feeling string is the answer!

6. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

the only way to really tell is just to string your favourite racket and see how long it will last.

7. allyjack110

Good advice. However, I think I would also benefit by lowering my tension. 25lbs is simply too high for me. Perhaps 24, 23 or even 22lbs.

On another note. Does anyone know what string Christinna Pedersen (Den) is using on her Nanospeed 9900? Judging from the 'gold-ish' colour, it looks like she is using either the NBG 95 or 98.

#267 allyjack110, Nov 19, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  8. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

I wouldn't suggest going too low. Mainly because your 65ti is hard feeling and the 98 is medium feeling.

Maybe give 24lbs ago first?

I usually have my rackets strung at 23/24lbs. I tried 28lbs tension once, it felt way too hard for me even though I did like the sound it made.

9. allyjack110

@ ssgg007,

Thanks Dude,

Your right, the 65ti is definetely a 'hard' feeling string. Do you think switching to a softer string like the NBG 98/95 would help? I think I might also go back and try 24lbs like you suggest. The pain in my right bicep only really started when I switched to my new rackets. I have three Ashaway Viper XT-900s all strung with 65ti at 25lbs. I've owned dozens of rackets and these things are the stiffest I have ever played with or/and owned.

10. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

I guess using softer feeling or lower tension would help if it is arm related.

What racket did you use to play with before?

This is because I just looked up the ashaway specs and it is a Med/Stiff

11. allyjack110

I was previously using the Victor Artery-Tec Power 101 (x2) before I switched to my current rackets. You are absolutely right though. Ashaway (Goode Sport) rate the XT900s as medium-stiff. Trust me, they are not. They are definetely stiff. The XT900 is essentially the same racket as the Forza Kevlar n-Power 200. Forza give it a 'stiff' rating. I previously owned 2 Arc 10s, 2 AT-700s and a NS9000x, and all three felt [considerably] less stiff than my current set-up. Next time I break a string I'll request a softer string such as Microlegend.

#271 allyjack110, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Still using the nanogy 98. Yes. I conclude it is a nice string (SP version) :)

Still a bit nervous about using a thin gauge string and breakages...hangover days from using BG66 and BG85.

13. HardSmasher

HardSmasher Regular Member

Senior Engineer
    i agree, the tension hold is better and with longer durability. the string can be strung with higher tension(>25lbs) and still repulsive enough compare to BG66.

14. 729927852

729927852 Regular Member

In my experience so-far, I've had my racket strung with NBG-98 at 25lbs 3-ish times and they lasted an average 2 months, and currently I'm using BG-80 at 24lbs and it's been one month and one of the sweet spot strings looks like it's about to burst ):

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

The next string I want to try is the BG80 power. I don't think ngy98 can last too long though I'd be happy to be proven wrong and will stick with it (even though it's expensive).

16. Vincevt70

Vincevt70 Regular Member

Sales
    Has anyone noticed using NBG98 that the strings move A LOT? My tension is 24lbs. This is my 2nd time stringing my racket with NBG98. IMO, this is a really good string once it's fresh, but since the string moves to one side after a rally, I find it loses its tension and becomes dull.

The durability of this string is amazing considering it's a thin gauge. I think I'm going to try BG66U after this.

17. Vincevt70

Vincevt70 Regular Member

Sales
    Has anyone noticed using NBG98 that the strings move A LOT? My tension is 24lbs. This is my 2nd time stringing my racket with NBG98. IMO, this is a really good string once it's fresh, but since the string moves to one side after a rally, I find it loses its tension and becomes dull.

The durability of this string is amazing considering it's a thin gauge. I think I'm going to try BG66U after this.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no. i have used nbg98 and i don't see it move any more than other strings.

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

so far, no different to other strings on movement.

20. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

odd. I found nbg98 move less than my ngb 95 and vs850. I only have my rackets string at around 23/24 lbs