ANNOUNCEMENTS: three changes in the forum

Discussion in 'Badminton Central Announcements' started by kwun, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Wait a minute .... current events = politics/religion??? :eek::eek:

2. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    agree
    ;)

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Badminton Central is a place where we share info about Badminton

If we have Badminton related topics, then it should be OK. This is because Badminton Central is a place where we share info about Badminton.

In the past, we have discussed several topics on politics and religion, for example;

On politics, we have talked about:
    * BWF (election of officers)
    * Russian Badminton Federation (court case)
    * USA-Iran relations (Badminton diplomacy)
    * etc...

On religious practice:
    * How some players manage to play during their religious fasting period
    * How some players manage to play wearing religious headcovering/clothing
    * Why some players are taking a break during a Badminton game to pray
    * etc...

In all of the above discussions/threads, we were talking about Badminton first. And they were not intended to offend others. They were good hearted discussions and information on how Badminton is run/played worldwide.

IMHO, any thread that has extreme negativity and rudeness will usually cause raging disagreements/conflicts amongst us here at BC.

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Chris, I am 100% certain neither you, Datuk Punch, Li Yongbo nor everybody else on BC does badminton 24/7. Furthermore, Pemuda did point out one very important distinction about Chit-Chat compared to the other forums on the board:

Do you not think the issue here is not so much about what topic being discussed rather than the conduct of the participants?

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I think off topics that aren't political and stuff, like natural disasters, random kid becomes a dad at age 10, etc are already in the chit-chat forum, and everybody is ok with it.

6. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Errr, that's one of the points Kwun stated : "look, you guys cannot even discuss plastic/feather in a civil and respectful manner, i will hate to see religion be mixed into the forum."

There're dozens of forums focusing on politics, religion, etc, which also have a variety sub topics to be discussed (i.e. many choices to pick). One can always go to those forums to discuss those topics - in english, malay or chinese also can. :D

BC, let it be more on baddy than other topics. Considering how highly charged discussion on politics & religion can get,they can very quickly overshadow the baddy threads. Not to mention many locked threads, bans, more headache for our mods :p.
    And frankly, I'm sick of politics topics that's already discussed everywhere by everyone, 7 days a week, many hours in a day.;).

#26 eaglehelang, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. that's correct. current events are fine. just don't include politics, religion, and also sexual, racial discussion are also controversial topics that are not allowed.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is about the unavoidable inevitable eventual conduct of the participants. rather than putting two opposing mobs into a room and have them killed off each other and scaring away every other occupants, we don't allow them in to prevent the bloodshed from happening. for the best interests of other members who actually enjoy badminton topics, this is the rule.

again, for those who do like to participate in those types of discussions, we encourage you to visit other forums, it is quite easy to google, i found a few for you:

www.religiousforums.com
    www.politicsforum.org

they are only a click away. they look very thriving with people of the respective interests.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

I quickly went in those sites..

..and to my surprise:
    -The politics forum has like at least 30 different moderators. One for each sub-forum..:eek:
    -And the one for religious forum, interestingly, i saw a "Politics" sub-forum created in there...and i counted, there are **at least** 30 moderators...:eek:

I don't know how they do it, but i must give the moderators, in those sites, 4 thumbs up for keeping everything so civil in there..:p:cool:

10. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Considering the changes to the buy/sell forum sorting, I think I prefer the old style since it was easier to find active sales and only rarely were finished sales bumped up. However, right now we see a lot of active sales which are hidden under lots of other threads which are already inactive, and it's really hard to find out what is actually still on sale. Just my opinion.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Our BC 'Lounge Section' is where we relax

Yes, the conduct of our participants here at BC does affect me.

I join Badminton Central for 2 main reasons.

(1) I appreciate our BCers posting info and news about Badminton. It is great to find the latest Badminton info/news here at BC everyday. And it's great to talk about these info/news with fellow BCers.

(2) I use BC to communicate with our fellow Badminton club members. Hundreds of our club members are BCers. In fact, our CCC Badminton Club is now the leading club at BC (in terms of participants/postings): click here

What topic or thread created here at Badminton Central, I have no say. It is up to our BC moderators to decide whether to promote it, to close it or to let it be.

However, I do get annoyed when I see some BCers making comments not related to the topic of the thread (be it Badminton or not). I am learning to ignore these 'off topic' posts.

Our BC 'Lounge Section' is where we relax. In fact, I have started several threads there.
    They include:
    * Seasonal Greetings
    * Birthday Calculator
    * Email Scams
    * Songs
    * etc ...

IMHO, if political and religious threads were to be allowed in the 'Lounge Section', then the section would become more serious, therefore taking away the relaxing atmosphere that it now has.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

:):):)

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Um, this post seems equally relevant in this thread.

13. eRa@에라

eRa@에라 Regular Member

Accountant
    Yes kak... daily input of those topics definitely causing heavy migraine :( .... BC supposed to be a place to relax and talk about baddy... and chit-chat lounge for other relaxing matters ... imagine me has to deal with my dad when I want to listen to Aznil/Din Beramboi@Era.fm and he's controlling the remote for more of Awani/Bernama instead :crying:

14. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Is that an attempt at humour or a thinly veiled threat? ;)

Either way boss kwun's words are law.

Hopefully this law will be applied consistently and with wisdom as sometimes kneejerk responses are just as bad as a wrong one - I'm referring to some threads that were prematurely locked when they held so much potential for discussions that are generally apolitical in nature.

That is why you have and need moderators - they aren't there just to pick up rubbish and punish offenders - they are to moderate discussions in a fair manner.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Why some threads were prematurely locked/closed?

Some threads were prematurely locked/closed because our BCers were fighting and attacking each other personally, nationally and culturally, instead of agreeing to disagree.

This thread is a good reminder for us to realise what we have done wrong: click here

:):):)

#35 chris-ccc, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  16. jaydee

jaydee Regular Member

Dude, chill & go try out other forums... this is only a badminton forum...
    the way you make it sound like its a part of your life.. lol... :D

17. johnpeter

johnpeter Regular Member

hi..

we added an Injury forum. Injuries has been a recurring topic in the General Forum for a while now. Since it is of great concern to the ones involved, it makes sense to separate out the discussion. however, we would also like to point out is that the forum is mainly for sharing of experience, for proper treatment it is vital that everyone seeks the opinion of a doctor..

18. jerby

jerby Regular Member

having only recently uploaded something to Buy&sell since a long time, I must say this is somewhat undesirable...
    In the 'old' setting the sold rackets eventually just faded to the back rows of the page and all the available stuff and new stuff stayed on page 1.
    With the new setting, If you have a thread selling more than 1 item, chances are your post will fade into the background (and getting a lot less views) before you sell more than 1.

In this setting, what can a seller/buyer do when their thread isn't answered and it's on page 3? You still have stuff you don't use, or stuff you need (FS, WTB, WTT, whatever) But nobody is answering, maybe next week a buyer will stumble onto the forum, but will he check page 3?:rolleyes:

Just my thoughts (I hope I wasn't too incoherent)

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

How abt this idea..

..i was thinking, how abt if those threads are deleted?? Because once the item(s) is sold and thread is locked, what good would it do to stay in the Buy/Sell sub-forum/section??..By doing that, it'll also "bump up" all the threads which have items still available. Lessen the number of pages, as well.

20. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The advantage of having the sold items still there is that buyers can search to see how much a desired racket has sold for in the past, and how often one comes up for sale. The sellers can also get a clue on fair pricing.

Sellers should strongly consider making a separate thread for each racket they are selling. It is tedious to scroll through 30 posts to see if the one racket you are keen on is still available from a long list on the thread title.