It's time for Misbun Sidek to work for Malaysian Badminton without BAM

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Jan 7, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    If Kung Fu movies can become worldwide popular, I hope that Badminton can follow suit

If Badminton is an Asian sport, then I hope that BWF can change the course of where/how Badminton can be heading.

"To go pro and independent like tennis players mean zero govt (tax payers) handouts, players pay all expenses themselves and proceeds come from success on the courts (very risky)...". As you have explained, I see why fewer Asians play Tennis professionally. One Asian who have done well in Tennis is Li Na (from China);

http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/player.asp?player=20010231

I have not mentioned that many private enterprises are ready to sponsor Badminton.... but wish that BWF can copy/follow how well Tennis have become as an entertainment to spectators, by getting more sponsors.

You are right to say that there is no such thing as a benevolent society, that companies don't shell out money if there is no return. I was hoping that it would for companies other than Badminton equipment makers to get involved. Perhaps energy and sports drinks company can become involved.

"Pro tennis pay out huge winnings because of TV $$$ and in turn commercials pay the TV stations millions per the minute, costly ticket prices and still full house (compare to empty stadiums for badminton even with cheap ticket prices and hosted by a baddy power nation e.g. SSF in MAS."

Yes, so far it has been not so good at our SSF tournaments. Hope that things could be improved in the future.

I admit that I am not in the Asian culture of things. But, if Kung Fu movies (from early Hong Kong) can become worldwide popular, I hope that Badminton can follow suit. :):):)

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I can't see what Misbun will do, since he has been involved in Badminton all his life

I can't see what Misbun will do, since he has been involved in Badminton all his life, since his VI school days.

3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Well then, Chris, we all can have 'HOPE', fair enough...baddy is a great sport to watch and play, then again we are bias anyway. BTW, there is a minor correction in red above, which I meant badminton players, not tennis players.
    The big paycheck in tennis is because of live broadcast in N America, usually in the weekends and at prime time. I be honest that I do not like the game, I watch only the pretty chicks play, as for the guys play, I have something better to do.
    Badminton will never capture the public fantasy here. Like it or not, Americans and Europeans do not like to be smacked around crazy by a bunch of Asians, so baddy will remain an Asian sport, deprieved of the mega TV deals and advertisement $$$.
    If Badminton today with LD, LCW, TH and PG could not make this game shine, wait till they disappear and baddy will go nowhere, maybe only in Asia. Now, you bring in kung fu fighting, oh dear......:D:p

4. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

He was in several businesses after his playing days, including car dealerships.

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Frankly speaking, Badminton is still an Asia sport though Denmark and other EU countries are catching up. Until one day Li Ning/YY can match what NIKE/Adidas/PUMA/etc are paying in millions n millions of dollars for each endorsement, I'm quite skeptical about the badminton players going pro. Who will fund their expenses? Again, the funding is for the whole team that consists of coaches, medical staffs, admin staff, PR/agent, accommodation, travelling, etc... Who will bear these costs?

Professional golf, basketball, tennis, boxing, etc... are earning many times of what LCW is capable of.

6. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    After PG retires, DEN can catch up no more, in fact if you read DEN thread, DEN players are shunning away from baddy to other sports. That is why, PG at 35 still DEN and Europe champ, no one wanna invest in baddy to detrone him.
    Now, which European country you have in mind that is catching up? For YY/LN to match others in paying out mega endorsement deal to baddy players to go independent pro (no more handouts), they have to sell lots of pricy rackets, wear, shoes, etc. Are CHN, INA, MAS public gonna pay those prices, forget it....knock-offs will take over. As for pro golf, basketball, tennis, boxing, the $$$ come from one main source....TV. In fact, before NBA even starts to sell one single ticket, the clubs receive enough $$$ from TV to cover their expense. Baddy, on the other hand, needs to go back to tax-payers for generous donation to survive;)

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The $$$ come from one main source....TV

You are right that the $$$ come from one main source....TV. But don't give up; that Badminton cannot get $$$ from TV (that was yesteryears).

Now, almost every household in China has at least one TV. We can see why the Chinese Badminton Super League (CBSL) was organised. And players are been paid by per match they participate in.

I believe that much money come from Guangdong TV. No wonder players can earn pretty good money when they participate in this CBSL event.

#207 chris-ccc, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    We are moving away... again, quality marketing is important. ;)

9. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the cbsl will not on air in any tv as far as i know,for 2011

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

His charges/trainees are best to tell us if Misbun is a good or lowsy coach

That post said;
    after 5 accusations were thrown at Misbun Sidek;
    I would like to ask a question here;

Who are the people best to tell us if Misbun is a good or lowsy coach?
    1. BAM?
    2. Other coaches?
    3. Misbun's charges/trainees?
    3. Reporters from the press?
    4. Malaysian Badminton supporters/fans?
    5. Our BadmintonCentral members?

I would think No.3 (Misbun's charges/trainees) should be the answer.

#211 chris-ccc, Jan 14, 2011
  12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I would be very surprised if anyone says Misbun is a lousy coach. To my mind, the question should be "Is he a good coach or a great coach?"

A good coach would not be entrusted with Elite players.
    A good coach would not be asked to serve at the highest level of coaching in on of the greatest badminton playing nations in the world, for such a long time.
    A good coach would not generate complete trust and loyalty from his charges.
    Therefore, to my mind the verdict is:
    Misbun is a great coach.

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I would disagree with that. the best judges are colleagues who are knowledgeable on what needs to be done.

This is the practice in industry called PEER EVALUATION .This means being judged by people who are equal in terms of knowledge and what needs to be done.

From personal experience trainers /teachers can be well liked by their charges if they are say lenient and easy going and

accomodating, but this is tantamount to spoiling them and the results will not show.Those who are strict and go by best

practice without fear or favour may not be well liked or praised by their charges but everyone will benefit in the end.

To be judged good by the people in your charge iunder your influence or power is more like manipulating peoples'

minds by politicians and marketeers.

The TTC is an eg. of peer evaluation by equals, although it may not be perfect.Look up Wiki on this concept,

it is now a very popular method.

This is answering your question on the 5 choices,probably there will be other choices based on the person's background.

#213 Bbn, Jan 14, 2011
  14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but before we heap praises ( he must be the most celebrated coach in the world,

more famous than his charges), let me repeat a story which i revealed here in 2003:

Darren Hall was England's no.1 in the 80s and won many world class tournaments.He applied to join BE to be a coach.

The BE told him to take a coaching course first before applying, Darren argued that he had ample credentials as he had years

of playing experience and success as a player and had made tremendous sacrifices. He was turned down.

He gave up and decided to take up a job as a London cab driver. to his dismay to qualify as a cab-driver he had to take a lot

of tests and earn a certificate.But he had no choice, so he took the tests, passed and is a London cab-driver today.

BAM may not be like that but local industries and those in advanced countries are very adamant about paper qualifications

and accreditation before they put people in positions of responsibility. Gone are the days when you could get a good job

based on experience like a blue-collar worker.Everyone is expected to have skills as well as thinking ability. Thinking ability

allows you to think of others ,understand others , think out of the box, and accept and develop new ideas.

Societies nowadays emphasise on education and acquiring credentials and qualifications, you will have a hard time convincing

people nowadays as desired are people with lifelong learning abilities. Now you can see why Msia places such a high emphasis

on education and makes it available for everyone (like in advanced countries).

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Peer Evaluation...
    IMO, no one method is perfect; they all involve a certain amount of subjectivity. Even Peer Evaluation though it is a very acceptable form, is subject to jealousy, differences in background and methodology, etc etc. :)
    Even statistical analysis will not be able to do justice to certain unquantifiable contributions that any person has made to his position of responsibility. Then there is the knock-on effect...

I think the bottom line I am searching for is:
    Not just Malaysia, but Badminton itself will be poorer off for the loss of Misbun.

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    That is why respect, openness an maturity comes into play.

Some people learn, read or get counselling in different ways. Will the differences be big if they get those papers?

I doubt so. ;) It is just a foundation. It still boils down to your conviction and passion. ;)

17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

2) Misbun is a person who practices nepotism
    "-> I humbly disagree. He just has a different perspective on how things can be done.
    A man does not put his career, reputation and bread and butter on the line just to give his own son an advantage. What more under the spotlight of the public and press.

Businessmen and DATUKs have much more of this luxury."

This is the concept of Transparency and Good Corporate Governance.

Years ago a finance minister interviewed was asked why he gave all MOF licences to himself and members of his family.

His answer was similar to yours, and he retorted" if you had business licences to give out who would you give to.people you dont know, what's wrong with giving it to myself and my family? Of course this minister is a very richman.

Nowadays we have scarce resources and demand that more merit be practised and there must be some form of measurement, even if it is not it should at least be subject to PEER EVALUATION.
    If not this world would even be a more corrupt culture than it is now. When faced with a dilemma on preference of own kin,
    people often lean over backwards to avoid being accused of nepotism and often dissociate themselves and allow others to make the choice.
    As to reputation, some of his spokesmen have already stated clearly that he has done a lot for the country (more than Hall for England presumably) and deserves special treatment.

It is precisely this sort of attitude that led to the PKFTZ fiasco.

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Nowadays many decisions are not made by just 1 person, Tenders are awarded by Tender Committees,
    Corporate decisions made by Board of Directors, Committees,committees, committees, a real pain, slow,
    full of yesmen etc. but it is a recognised form by people in power and we have to learn to live with them.

Parliament is also a committee, to be effective, members should be voted in, not appointed.Would you prefer
    an autocracy or dictatorship or rule by Emperor?

19. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Dont you think that BE was very heartless,ungrateful and cruel to Hall?

But that's the way things work in other countries,little room for sentiment.

But it does bring out the best in people .

The minor changes in BAM is ,I repeat,is :

A response to losing to Japan in the Thomas Cup. Japan without much talent or outstanding players

could beat Malaysia as a team. Malaysia was too dependent on 1,2 players.Now the TCC wants a bigger pool of players (in all disciplines,not just singles) and not just 1,2 world beaters. How this can be done baffles me, even if it can be done it will be dead slow. Perhaps they can wait 4 years while slowly re-building the team. They do not seem to prioritise creating another LCW in their intentions in their press statements.
    Perhaps they know something about Japan and Park Joo Bong?

20. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    And you see no danger in this "one-size-fits-all" approach to decision-making powers?
    For that matter, are not committees more susceptible to manipulation and suggestion and delivering the required end-result by the actual powers that operate behind the curtain?