Wong Mew Choo ( 黄妙珠 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by studsgaard, May 17, 2005.

1. *Hello_Kitty***

*Hello_Kitty*** New Member

WMC looks prettier in person..she's ver sweet n nice as well..Good luck for your upcoming games... V^V..

2. emmsfan

emmsfan Regular Member

Student
    She's been a bit unstable......pretty as she is (I'm not jealous of her....hehe..maybe a little :> ) but she's been able to pull some surprises like beating Lu Lan and Wang Chen, which is pretty good!!

3. soleha

soleha Regular Member

student
    Yes.. she just like LCW,sometimes OK,sometimes not very okay,n sometimes not OK...n what I like the most is, she usually give suprise!!! hahahahahaha

4. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    =

Yess but the different between her & LCW is

LCW is most of the time ok, sometimes not ok..
    WMC is most of the time not ok, sometimes OK!

But

LCW looks never ok!
    WMC looks always OK!

5. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Ankle injury could jeopardise shuttler’s chance of playing in world meet

By LIM TEIK HUAT
    the star online

PETALING JAYA: Top national women's singles player Wong Mew Choo will be praying for the best when she flies home with the team for the Sudirman Cup (world mixed team) championships from Glasgow tonight.
    Just when her badminton game is picking up, Mew Choo has come down with an ankle injury again and her chances of competing in the Thailand Open in Bangkok early next month are now slim.
    Mew Choo said that she picked up the injury in the match against Thailand's Salakjit Ponsana on Tuesday. She was beaten 17-21, 21-10, 15-21 by Salakjit but Malaysia went on to win the tie 4-1.
    “I felt a sharp pain in my right ankle but I carried on playing. The doctor advised me against playing any more matches after that in order not to aggravate it,” said Mew Choo in a telephone interview from Glasgow yesterday.
    Her condition explained why she did not play in the ties against China and Denmark. Anita Raj Kaur was fielded instead.
    Mew Choo also played in Malaysia's opening tie against England on Monday. She beat Tracey Hallam 21-14, 21-18 to avenge her defeat by the Englishwoman in the women's singles final of the Melbourne Commonwealth Games last year.
    The doctor indicated that the injury may be serious but the 24-year-old said she would only know about the real extent after going for a MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan when she returned home later in the week.
    “It was swollen after that and I will need to rest. But I don't know how long and how serious it is right now,” she said.
    As for whether she can play in the World Championships, which will be held in Kuala Lumpur in two months' time, Mew Choo can only hope for the best.
    “I will probably have to undergo rehabilitation when I go back. But I hope I am able to recover and play in the World Championships. I want to play because it will be held at home,” she said.
    If Mew Choo needs a long period of rest, it will definitely affect her chances of putting up a good show in the world meet.
    Mew Choo is now ranked 11th in the world and cannot afford to miss any tournaments if she hopes to earn ranking points to be seeded among the top eight for the world championships. The seeds will be determined based on the Aug 2 world rankings.
    Besides the Thailand Open from July 3-8, Mew Choo is also down to play in the China Open (July 10-15) and the Philippines Open (July 17-22).
    Mew Choo has showed her potential to be a player to be reckoned with by beating some top players in recent years.
    However, she is also injury prone and it has hampered her progress. She had to take a three-month break because of a knee injury but came back in style to become the first Malaysian in nearly 30 years to reach the Malaysian Open final. She chalked up a career first by reaching the All-England quarter-finals this year and was a semi-finalist in the Asian Badminton Championships in April.

OMG poor WMC .Hope she recover soon ..:(

6. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I hope she makes a speedy recovery.
    I like her never say die attitude and her effort is first class.

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I agree with you on Miss Wong's fighting spirit and 110% effort the way she played with no fear of her rival...kinda like David fighting Goliath when she plays the CHN girls.

8. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    How old is she? 24?
    I really doubt she can break the chinese dominace in her playing career but Mas need her as the benchmark to boast other junior playing levels.

9. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    WMC is probably the most famous female MAS player in the last 25 years... I don't know any other lady from Malaysia who is this famous...

10. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Sylvia Ng and Jean Moey

11. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Jean Moey, who was that??? Sylvia was famous during my time in Malaysia, and in the 70's and even then, there is no way any WS badder can out famed Choo Choo with the internet, media coverage nowadays.
    And Kwun closed the previous thread when I said Sing import...I mean Sing import players to represent Sing, not coaches as MAS, KOR did...only INA and CHN and DEN used their home breed coaches I think.

12. catherineshinbi

catherineshinbi Regular Member

student
    huh,really arh..if it is true then good..:)

13. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian

14. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Short Terms

Its a good short terms move & it might improve the quality in the long term.
    But as a country with a strong tradision & long history of badminton, is hard for Msia to adopt this kinda system...
    Is like when England employ A swedish for coach "ERICSON"....
    I think is ok for spore because they dont have a strong tradiosion in this sport.. :cool:

15. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Jean Moey represented Msia in the Uber Cup and SEAP Games, Commonwealth and Asian Games .... long, long, long time ago in the 60s. There was another one, Tan Gaik Bee, she was the Msian Open winner from 61-63.

Ohhh the other thread (wonder why we cant have a healthy debate :rolleyes:) ... import players and not coaches, eh. Does it matter really??? I mean if one is in Singapore colours for example, then he/she is representing that country.

Take a look at France in football, when they won the world cup in 1998, some of their players are not born in France i.e. Patrick Viera, Marcel Desailly. Even the current England team has Owen Hargreaves who was born in Canada!

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

England has a long and strong tradition in football. But Owen Hargreaves was born in Canada ;). Heard of John Barnes? He has 79 England caps. And guess what? He was born in Jamaica!!

Germany, strong football nation right? Well, Gerald Asamoah was born in Ghana.

17. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Agree with you on import and should be encouraged...and esp with CHN dominating women side, even if the rest of the world combined, CHN is still favored to win the Uber Cup...hey! even Li Ling Wei who is CHN rep in OLY Council encouraged 'exporting' ex-CHN players who could not make the team to play for other countries.

18. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

It is also good for the game in the long run as it will keep competition amongst the players up thus standards will go up.

19. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    France

Although france player are born else where but they grow up in France...
    But I do support the importing of chinese players to country like spore... but for the sport long term future... they must have their own foundation to produce good players thus more locals would be interested in the game!
    Instead of watching some foreign players ppl would like 2 watch the home grown talents

20. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

We cannot be magnifying it like 'born else where but grew up etc etc'. Or else we may as well look at the players parents and grandparents, whether they were born in that country as well.

Why only narrow it down to countries like Singapore? If it encourage more competition then it should be for all countries.

For example the English Premier league has a worldwide following. Would it be as popular if the league is only limited to English born players?

By the way, Owen Hargreaves grew up in Canada. And Viera's childhood was in Senegal before he moved to France when he was around 14 or so.