Super series in 2011

Discussion in '2011 Tournaments' started by huangkwokhau, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Yes, thanks for the correction. :p

2. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    The heat of getting of SS elite is ON.
    korea officially upped the prize money to US$ 500K..then we heard the rumour that Russia has submited US$ 500K as well...

3. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I agree..so far, we will not have North American SS yet.....

4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Nice, high enthusiasm from those countries to become Premiere SS host:)

5. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    "Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported today that the Badminton Korea Association (BKA) had submitted their application for the Korea Open to be named by the BWF as one of the three or four Premier Super Series tournaments. The Premier SS is to have a minimum prize money of US$350,000 per event and the application deadline was May 7th.

The BKA reportedly stressed the fact that the Korea Open has traditionally offered the largest prize purse on the circuit but said that it had also said it intended to far exceed the Premier SS minimum and instead to boost the prize money to a whopping US$1.2 million!

The decision on the Premier Super Series will be made by May 21st at the BWF Council meeting in Kuala Lumpur."

Source Badzine...

Looks like Korea takes advantage in the race for SuperSeries Premier.

#25 Thom_bad, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

May 18, 2010

Ami Afriatni

New Premier Series to Raise Game’s Profile Through Bigger Prizes

With mainstream recognition having eluded their sport thus far, badminton officials hope raising the financial stakes will do the trick.

The Badminton World Federation plans to launch the Premier Super Series next year, a string of four tournaments it hopes will boost global interest in the sport.

While all the details have yet to be finalized, one is for certain — the amount of prize money on offer will grow.

The current 12-leg Super Series and season-ending Masters Finals offer a minimum purse of $200,000, with the Korea Open awarding $300,000 in prizes.

Premier Super Series tournaments will have a minimum purse of $350,000, and BWF deputy president Paisan Rangsikitipho hopes that added incentive will draw the world’s best shuttlers.

“We needed something to make badminton better,” Paisan told the Jakarta Globe. “We circulated to members the idea of a Premier Series, and they liked it.”

In addition to more prize money, the BWF wants organizers to secure better television coverage and make sure all the top players take part in every tournament.

Eight countries, including Indonesia, have expressed interest in hosting Premier Super Series tournaments. The BWF council will award hosting rights on May 27.

“We will also come up with a regulation that will require all the best shuttlers to play in the Premier Series,” Paisan said, alluding to the problems plaguing the current Super Series, wherein shuttlers can opt not to play.

Previous top-flight tournaments have been hit by withdrawals, including the entire Chinese national team missing tournaments in favor of domestic competitions or training camps.

Mimi Irawan, the Indonesian Badminton Association’s head of tournament affairs, said the country was ready to act as a host for the new series if chosen.

“The Indonesia Premier will offer a total cash prize of $500,000,” Mimi said, adding that tobacco company PT Djarum, which has supported the Indonesia Open Super Series since 2004, would be the new main sponsor.

“I think we’ve done a good job hosting the Super Series. Tickets for the tournament have always sold out, so I’m confident we’ll win the right to host one of the Premier Series events.”

*source : the Jakarta Globe.com -- http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/badm...se-games-profile-through-bigger-prizes/375697

7. CYW2006

CYW2006 Regular Member

May I know when is the actual date for sudirman cup for 2011..... And where will it ?

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's good news for badminton to have bigger prizes. There is more icentive for natinal teams to send their players to the tournaments.

So I am confused here - we have 9 SS and 8 are Premier SS.

not sure what the criteria for selection of a tournament to SS is.

Presumably, it's not just money. What if a tournament can put up 500,000USD and 5 events for an open tournament. Does that automatically give it SS status?

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

If anything, this latest news shows us, that the previous news report may have old information. The situation has changed.

10. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Basically in 2011, we may have 8 SS and 4 SS primier
    Morelikely INDIA will be promoted to SS
    So many rules to be part of SS Premier..so far KOR with Samsung or lG had bid US$ 1.2 Million.
    China may follow closely to that number ( will below US$ 1 mil unless things change in last few days)
    INA, ENG,FRANCE,SWISS, MAS also bid for the rest of 2...
    We will know by this friday who will be awarded SS premier.

Basically top nations will have to send their best shuttlers.

11. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    russia? surprise surprise...badminton is getting big over there isn't it?

12. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    But Russia may not get it after all since they are not qualified for SS..things may change in last few days..too many things are going on now in KL...

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Why not? If they put the prize money up then that is a big factor for upgrading a tournament.

Just to clarify, is it 8 SS and 4 of these will be Premier SS (i.e. total 8) or will it be total 12?

14. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    I do not know what criteria but so far Russia is not qualify..
    Total will be 12 ( 4 SS premier and 8 SS)
    Been told that England, KOR, China, Japan, INA and MAS are vying for 4 SS premier..

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Neutrality is not in BWF's 3 major criteria:
    1. Geographical Distribution (not all Premier SS can be in one region)
    2. Techical ability to hold a Premier SS tournament (stadium, organization etc.)
    3. Commercial Potential (well, ...Hong Kong and Singapore just don't have much potential for world badminton growth)

Yes please... One should be in the Americas (i.e. USA or Brazil, not Canada or Peru)...

If I were the BWF, I still give:
    a. All England Premier SS
    b. China Open Premier SS (despite a slightly lower total prize money bid than Korea)
    c. Indonesia Open Premier SS (well, ...I am biased here, I suppose :p)
    d. .......don't give the last Premier SS to anyone yet... Wait until the US Open can have enough fan base (and thus commercial potential) to upgrade itself to a Premier SS...

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Hi Krisna, I'm glad you brought up HK and S'pore up. It is true both have small populations but I think HK has double the population. In Hau-ge's original post, I did wonder why S'pore would get SS status and HK would not. However, such a point might bring up a lot misinterpretations as I am based in HK.

I think both places have a lot going for them - good organisation, fair line judging and good attendance by players and public.

Because they are small places, does that necessarily mean they are to be excluded? Strangely, perhaps not. For example, I also attend another sport called Rugby Sevens where HK is the most popular venue in the calendar. Getting tickets is really very difficult!! Can we turn badminton into such a spectacle?

18. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    BREAKING NEWS!!!

BWF decided that SS Premier will ahve 5 countires instead of 4..

KOREA with US$ 1.2 million
    INA with US$ 600.000
    China with US$ 350.000 ( very surprised!!!)
    Denmark with US$ 350.000
    England with US$ 350.000

I am hoping that CHN can do more..been told that they may raise to US$ 1 mil

19. simonlovers

simonlovers Regular Member

wow...send a lot of players to Korea !!! :D:D:D

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Wow, 5 countries. Bidding process must have been very intense.

My question is now, will these countries be consistently the Premier SS? Having said that, historically, these 5 countries always have been well supported in sponsorship.