Grip: cross court forehand netshot from forecourt

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Cheung, Feb 22, 2014.

1. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    To be honest, I am a little confused by what you were wanting to discuss. Do I have this correct:
    Scenario - you approach the net to play a cross court net shot.

If so, here is my response:
    As you approach the net, you show a straight net shot, as you always do, regardless of which shot you play. Then, in order to play the cross net shot, you relax the grip and turn the racket to play the shuttle across. You have a nice loose grip, and you push the shuttle across court. Somewhere during this process, the grip you are using to hit the shuttle will kind of resemble a backhandish grip, but probably without the thumb extended.

In my view, this is just the normal way to play any shot - you approach the shuttle with identical preparation, and then you play the shot. It just so happens that for this particular shot (and in many other shots), you will relax your grip and change the angle of your racket in your hand as you play the shot. This can happen for loads of shots - cross defence, reverse slice drives, reverse slice drops, just to name a few.

So, yeah... Im a little confused! You seem to be implying that the way you change your grip as you play the shot is a little different from the way I change my grip as I play the shot. My response - who cares? Each and every shot may require a different grip, its just normal :) You said you get a good result from the way you play your shot - so do I :)

A question though - how on earth do you play the shot cross court if you keep a hold of a panhandlish grip? You just contort your wrist? Or does it require you to be coming at the shuttle from a certain angle i.e. directly behind the shuttle? Can you still play the shot if its wide on your forehand side? I don't see how that would be possible without changing your grip though...

2. visor

visor Regular Member

You fellas are fussing too much over which grip to use. Imho it doesn't really matter as long as you show the straight open face first (with a loose grip as Matt says) and then suddenly pronating your wrist while pulling your arm across your body.

If one is feeling adventurous while approaching from the forehand side, the shot can be taken with a double motion starting with a backhand (showing the straight again), then suddenly angling the racket face to place it cross court.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

This is the shot I was imagining. There is no way to play this with a thumb/backhand grip. Check this out at ~ 48 secs. http://www.bestoncourt.com/exercise/technical/103

I'd say that is pretty panhandle-looking :)

If you receive the shuttle more to the side, then the grip will look more like the Zhao vid.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Which video are you referring to? Your link doesn't automatically load a video, it is necessary to select one.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Prepare the racquet using panhandle, wrist has to be extended, drop the arm, elbow drawing to body, forearm and wrist pronation, fingers rotate the handle of the racquet with the supination so that the racquet face turns inwards.

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Thats what I thought - I guess my point is, when you use your fingers to rotate the handle of the racket, you must not be using a panhandle grip... correct?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I don't think I could play it without rotating (like many shots in badminton) but I agree at the point of contact, the grip is probably not in a panhandle grip.

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Racket Technique - Forehand -> 'Cross At The Net - FHS'

9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

when I play the shot and the shuttle is not received very wide of my body, I use panhandle grip and dont use fingers to change grip or rotate racket - just 90 degree pronation with dropping arm/elbow

10. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm not sure about your anatomy books, but mine shows that the bolded part is still pronation. :p

And as with amleto, I avoid using finger rotation in this shot as it causes a loss of accuracy as I propriceptively lose track of the racket face.

#30 visor, Feb 27, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    This video does not show a panhandle grip in my view. It is much closer to a basic grip. It may be argued that it is a basic grip ever so slightly shifted towards panhandle, but it certainly isn't doesn't appear to be a full panhandle grip.

This kind of terminology is where I get confused.

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I'd argue the converse! :)

try this - hold racket with basic grip, then put your wrist in the same position as the vid. Your racket will now be pointing down and way off to the side.

Now do the 'pick up your racket from the floor' trick to get your pan handle grip and orientate your wrist as previously. This is *much* closer to the grip shown in the vid.

So if I was to teach that shot, I would explain it by talking about pan handle, not basic or bevel grip.

13. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Thats fair enough! I personally think its closer to a basic grip than a panhandle... but never mind!

Not sure I agree with your "pick the racket up from the floor" trick though - the equivalent is taught in tennis. However, in tennis, you regularly get players choosing a Semi Western grip (panhandle) OR an Eastern grip (halfway between panhandle and a basic grip). I imagine you get the same problem in badminton (some people will get a full panhandle grip, and find the shot impossible, and some will get a partial panhandle/basic grip and find it ok).

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Dang. You are right. Why the heck did I write supination??

15. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Now that I think about it (and while holding a racket in hand), it feels very unnatural to use a complete panhandle grip for net shots at all. You have to twist your wrist a bit too much for it to feel comfortable. The same goes for net shot in the backhand corner. What would be equivalent to the panhandle grip for forehand would be a complete backhand grip at the backhand corner which also feels unnatural and putting strain on the wrist and arm. Not to mention if you try to do anything else then a net shot...

Cheung, did you try the general grip yet?