Victor Meteor X80 (MX80) vs. Yonex Voltric 80 (VT80) - head to head!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, Mar 30, 2011.

1. druss

druss Regular Member

It did feel quite heavy swinging but that's probably more the head heavy spec than the total weight. Hell, if the mx80 is better than the bs10 then I may have to buy a few more.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

druss, did you get a chance to play with yours yet?

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Eh? This might invite some interesting questions...

4. druss

druss Regular Member

no, unfortunately, all the clubs in edmonton use schools (besides private clubs) and it was spring break. I'll get a chance on monday. wish there was a pay for play badminton facility here.

5. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    My MX80 is actually ever so slightly longer than both my BS10 and 8DX. By about half a centimetre. 3U version here. Guessing this is normal?

6. druss

druss Regular Member

So I had a chance to play with both the MX80 and VT80, both rackets strung at 25x27 with BG66UM.

I have to say that the 3U VT80 is a beast, while I do have a fairly strong wrist I'm not really that big (5'11'' and 170 lbs), when I do make good contact though I had everyone in the gym turning heads to look at me. Defense was a bit slow but when I did make contact I had to be careful not to put it long. Basically, this racket is all about the power as long as you can generate some swing speed. I don't recommend it for anyone who has not yet learned the proper stroke technique as if you try to swing this racket by bending your wrist (instead of pronating the forearm) you could easily hurt yourself.

The 4U VT80 was better in that it was not as heavy, better defense but still at lot of power. Better racket for me I think, overall a bit head heavier than my 4U AT900P.

The MX80's were great to play with as they were more even balanced. Great power (if not as powerful as the VT80), it's a better all round racket. Shots were crisp, great control but some vibration, especially on off center hits. I tried to compare it to my SW35 but I broke the strings on it after 1/2 a game.

My MX80's were so close in spec it would come down to what string I had on it to make the difference. Not sure if I like it better than the BS10 yet, will need a few more hours with it.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Should be same 675mm.

From previous experience, most likely your mx80 was strung with the crosses a tad too tight compared to the mains, hence elongating the frame.

8. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Whilst this could be the case, I must also add that the width of the rackets (at the head) are the same, and the MX80 has an ever so slightly longer stem/handle measured from the exact same lowest outer grommet piece. So it's marginally longer not just at the head, but handle/step as well.

EDIT: Just to add, standing both the BS10 and MX80 upright on a flat surface on their handle ends, confirms that the MX80 does indeed have a longer shaft and handle. The head actually starts about half a centimeter or so higher.

#48 Naim.F.C, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  9. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    So Druss/Kwun, any further comparisons? Not just between the MX80 and VT80, but also 3U vs 4U with each racket. Mostly though, I just want to know how you guys are finding both rackets, and Druss, how you find it compared to the BS10.

10. druss

druss Regular Member

I only got to play one other match with my MX80 as I'm still trying my other rackets to compare with. My 4U was only a couple grams lighter than my 3U so not much difference to be honest. TBH, I've had quite a bit of work and have missed a few badminton sessions in the last couple of weeks. I'm spending so much time in Calgary, AB that I think I'll have to start bringing my badminton stuff with me on my trips.

Just a quick comparison with the BS10 though, the MX80 is slightly more powerful but the BS10 is still faster. I guess it just depends on the mood I'm in when I'm playing, and who I'm playing.

11. Lindanftw

Lindanftw Regular Member

The voltric 80 is the best looking racket ive ever seen.

12. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Hmm...I love the design on the head, but dislike the design on the shaft. They should have gone for something symmetrical, otherwise at a glance something looks a bit off putting about it.

13. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Hmm...now that I'm enjoying smashing a lot more, I'm sort of tempted by the VT80 again lol. Kind of fear losing the speed and delicacy of the MX80 though. Hmmm....

14. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Come on Kwun hurry up with that comparison already lol. Want to use it to help me decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a 4U VT80 or not lol.

15. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Druss, could you please let me know how each of your VT80's perform? I have a choice of 3, and am unsure of whether to go for the heaviest 4U or the lightest. Will be playing mainly doubles. On a percentage scale, how much power/control would you say the heaviest VT80 gives you compared to the lightest, and how much speed is gained?

Thanks!