looking for a new racket (solid feel, head-heavy)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by alternat0, Aug 4, 2008.

1. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

people...

i just broke my racket and looking for a new one.

my preferences are: solid feel, head-heavy, and strong, durable frame.
    i play doubles, like defending (return smashes), enjoy long rally, and hard-earned points. i'd like a racket that gives more power to my smashes, which is not my best weapon, so i'll have the kill. any recommendations? any budget ones?

btw, i just broke 2 rackets in a month.

first, my Wilson racket. i forgot the series. but its nano (maybe nForce 800), mostly white with some silver, has the thing to change the shaft flex (never used that feature). its a decent racket, my spare.

second, my dear Yonex Armortec 800 Offensive. this is the best racket i have ever used. its light, but still heavy head, so great for doubles where games are fast paced and powerful. very solid feel, i love it on my backhands and smashes. flex is just enough for me, too give extra repulsion. i usually string it 28 with Yonex BG66.

well that's the past. btw, i broke 2 armortec 800 off in 3 years. both clashing with my partner, and just a bit of scratch on his racket. makes me think do i really have to sacrifice that much money and vulnerability for a great racket? please advice...

btw, i have used yonex nanospeed 8000. its a great racket but not for me. too balanced, light.
    my first racket was yonex carbonex 8 tour. great racket for its time. will never forget that one. my favorite player used it, Haryanto Arbi aka 100 watts smash ;)
    now i'm using ASTEC 23. it Alan Budikusuma & Susi Susanti's product. cheap compared to yonex, so i don't expect much. its really shaky, too light for me. but its a fast racket. decent for defending, fast drives, netting.

#1 alternat0, Aug 4, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    How about try SOTX; Woven 11, Woven 7, or Diamond fighter 600 are all attacking racquets, heavy, solid feel.

For Yonex, the closest you can get is AT700 or AT900P in 3U, which is more durable than 4U. However, most people find the SOTX racquets more durable.

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    In your own words, the AT-800 works extremely well for you.
    Why would you want to now try to adapt to an unfamiliar one?

Play with a bit more caution... and your racquet will live longer :)

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Go with SOTX W7 or W11. If into yonex then go with AT700, AT900P/T but make sure the AT rackets are 3U because it will have more durability than 4U version.

5. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

i will get a new AT800off. but i want to try something new, similar or even if it exist plays better overall, specially more durable and if possible cheaper. its like entering to an unknown realm, that's why i'm asking for opinions, since i know people out there have tried more rackets then me, new ones included.

but since those rackets are around US$100+ (am i right?), i'm also looking for a budget one for reserve, if possible the same play.

if you have recommendations, i might even say goodbye forever to at800off.

btw, i live in d philippines, but i'm indonesian (hometown manado, have access to jakarta & bandung), and my family is in US. so i got some options where to purchase if you're recommending.

i heard from a friend that TOALSON is good. any available reviews? i can get discounted ones too ;)

if anybody from indonesia, i tried 2 different HART racquets (its Haryanto Arbi's line i think). a purple metallic and a red/white/blue. it both felt good, solid feel, head heavy. i like it. any further reviews?

as of my experience playing badminton: i have played since elementary up to now i'm in gradutate school. play usually with friends, since we know each other well its quite competitive. we sometimes join amateur tournaments at second/third level to the best, but in usual games could sometimes end up playing with someone who just missed it to the national training center in indonesia. so i would say intermediate-advance level.
    i play 2-4 times a week around 2-4 hours each.

#5 alternat0, Aug 4, 2008
  6. Athelete1234

Student
    Were your previous AT800OF racquets 4U or 3U? What tension are you used to?

7. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

its a 4U/G4, SP coded.

in my place everybody use BG66 w/ 28/30 tension. so i tend to go with the flow. feels ok, more power. but i've used thicker strings with less tension also, more control.

coz i move a lot, it depends on where i am. the former if i'm in indo, and the latter if i'm in phils/us. this actually helps in the games, IMHO. in indo, i need to play faster, and need more powerful shots, specially smashes. while in phils/us, i play smarter and with more tenacity. btw, its not generalizing the country, but the gym and people i play with. it complements each other really well bring me to a higher level of play.

#7 alternat0, Aug 4, 2008
  8. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    Don't go with what other people use for their tension because it may not work for you.

9. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

His usual tension is 28lbs, so 30lbs is only a slight difference. It won't cause him any pains or injuries if he's already used to 28lbs if he has the right technique ( which i believe he does, because he already uses 28lbs ).

However, I'm also suggesting him with you, that he shouldn't string it at such high tensions because the higher the tension is, the more likely it is for the racquet to break.

10. crimson_eyes13

crimson_eyes13 Regular Member

high school student
    try looking for the rsl millenium 7 diamond x2 series..
    it's durable plus they have four models which only differ in color and weight and all of them are head-heavy..

11. Athelete1234

Student
    If you liked the 4U AT800OF, try getting a 3U; a tad slower, but more powerful and better durability.

12. alternat0

alternat0 Regular Member

about the SOTX's...
    is there any comparison between this 3 recommended rackets (W7, W11, DF600)? because i saw the website and there is not much difference in terms of physical specs (balance point, flexibility, weight, length, etc).
    what about W7i and W11i? what's the difference with the regular ones?

you would recommend this over millennium 8 diamond x2 series?
    oh... the website says differences in flexibility on m7 diamond x2 series, pare ;) but no info on balance point.

i think i would prefer stiff to x-stiff rackets, coz i rely much on accuracy.

#12 alternat0, Aug 5, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  13. hoodlum

hoodlum Regular Member

Admin Executive
    alternat0, for the SOTX rackets, can refer to the thread below.. It has some useful reviews on SOTX Woven rackets.. :)

http://badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34889

14. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    You can also read DinkAlot's racket review to get a comparison.