Anyone had ACL tear repaired & still play Badminton

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Vodude, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    1 things for sure I only have 1 standard ACL reconstruction that uses a single graft

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    What? US$20,000 for ACL reconstruction? That's too expensive. ACI 1st generation is around US$35,000 to US$40,000, involving open knee incision.

3. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
  4. dolbydog

dolbydog Regular Member

I had a serious knee injury while playing volleyball almost 2 years ago. I tore my ACL, MCL, patella tendon, meniscus, etc. I did physiotherapy everyday to prepare, then had the surgery approximately 2 months after the accident and went back to do the physio again after the surgery. The problem I have is that part of the quadracep was torn off the bone(?) and I have lost 6cm leg circumference difference between both legs. I still play and have always played over the last 2 years but at a lower level. I can hardly jump now. I highly recommend isolation movements to strenghthen the leg muscles. But I would seriously consider not having surgery if at all possible.

5. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Dude, i got only 1 shaft, should i add the 2nd one?
    Also from my understanding, 1 shaft is thicker than the double shaft.. coudl this also mean that at some point single shaft stronger?

Single shaft and double shaft. Double shaft require 9-12 months to full recovery, I forget the single shaft recovery time.. Any suggestion :confused:

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Dr Fu is a strong advocate of the double bundle ACl reconstruction. Having the two bundles is said to align the forces more accurately. It's only recently that physicians are doing the double bundle technique. The recent evidence points to double bundle as having better outcomes.

I know some of the guys in HK doing the DB ACL reconstruction and they have done quite a number of DB ACLs. I think it is cheaper in HK and the hospital costs are lower (even including an airflight form US to HK).

Vodude, we can't really tell you if you should go for the DB ACL. That really depends on you and how bad your knee limits you at present. Since it's a relatively new technique, we don't know if Indonesian orthopaedic doctors have been doing very many (i.e. the experience). I personally know a few of the HK doctors who do this operation on a regular basis and have seen quite a number of DB ACL reconstructions. If your knee isn't really that bad, you may think it's not worth going through all that trouble and expense (if not covered by health insurance).

I have seen 40 to 60 year olds having the DB ACL reconstruction as well as people in their 20 to 40's. The older group have very active leisure lifestyles e.g. skiing/tennis and simply cannot bear to have the limitation of a torn ACL.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Pete, 20k USD is the deposit;)

30k USD is nearly 240k HKD - yes, the whole procedure (inc hospital fees) should be cheaper in HK, though I do not have the exact figure. I know one US girl martial artist who had the procedure. I asked why she didn't have it done in US - basically she was not covered by insurance and the hospital fees were very much higher in the US.

#27 Cheung, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Eh, I pulled this out from somewhere but forgot the source . . .

Newer studies available?

Attached Files:

#28 Pete LSD, Apr 19, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Pete, unfortunately your PDF is not relevant to ACL reconstruction.;)

I have to correct myself. I think the evidence for the benefit of one over the other is not definite and the answer will not be available for some years. Theoretically, DB ACL reconstruction will replicate your ACL function better - wether that will be proven definitively is another matter. However, a poorly done DB ACL reconstruction will not do as well as a well performed patellar tendon graft.

10. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    Cheung, I have a torn ACL and MCL, but only reconstruct the ACL with hamstring graft. problem is, i only did it 3 years after they are torn. during that 3 years, the joint gave way numerous times. in the end, my knee ended up with no cartilage, and up to 30% meniscus removed.
    would you think it is advisable to go for a cartilage transplant?

11. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Dude, i got only 1 shaft, should i add the 2nd one?
    Also from my understanding, 1 shaft is thicker than the double shaft.. coudl this also mean that at some point single shaft stronger?

If you already did your ACL repair, Why would you want to have another surgery done on the knee when things are going well? If you have another re-tear or another accident---then I would go head and have double bundle done, because now, you at least be using another DRILL hole to anchor your ligament!!!

If you play know the physic behind badminton Head (HEAVY)--yes we are talking about extra 5 grams added on the HEAD--to make it head Heavy. Now think about your knee, Now you have 2.5 gram On each side of your racket--to make it BAlance.Now, the racket have different feeling even though the total still the same. But, now, your force is not totally directly pressure on 1 pt. and weaken the other when you swing it as fast as you can. You notice your shoulder hurts more, when it at the top pt. head heavy, and lessen if it balance. YOUR knee is the same ways, we are talking about 130lbs average size man, not in pound + gravity + speed moving---->>>LOGIC, and understanding would make Two ligaments on each side will give Extra support, then just 1 strong pc. which can be disrupted if you twisted where it doesn't support----that part of direction when in motion-Twisting: Hope you get my pt. Yes, having strong legs muscle help too.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Well, it might mean you do need it at some stage. Also there is a microfracture technique to help stimulate cartilage formation. What you should do is seek a couple of different persons opinion on your knee. Make sure they are sports doctors (orthopaedics). If the two opinions are quite similar, then hopefully you can make your decision with better knowledge.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

How much can you afford SuperBird? Do you have 40-50k USD at the tip of yuor fingers?

How much time can you take off work? Will you lose your job if you take time of work? Especially in the current economic crisis?

I agree that logic and understanding is important. However, you will find many examples in medicine that what should work by logic, actually doesn't work. In fact, you could actually be doing more harm.

There are cases of drugs which stop irregular heartbeats. So they were thought to be good. When they followed these people up years later, those who took the drug had a greater risk of dying than those who too a dummy drug (placebo).

Another example is hormone replacement therapy. They were heavily prescribed for prevention of cardiovascular disease. Unfortunately, more people got strokes from them.

SO, it's very important in medicine to back up what is logically better with definite proof from high quality clinical trials and high quality systematic reviews. Otherwise, you may actually be doing the wrong thing for the patient......

14. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    40-50K

Hoahhh.. i'll skip that..
    Yeah you right, I have 1 shaft so I use it wisely, no need to reconsider reconstruction just do/use/play it until it break then reconstruction :)

15. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Please, don't get out of CONTEXT here!!!!! We are talking about LIGAMENT here!!!!

No it doesn't cost 40-50k to do the surgery unless you have expensive taste.

I myself cannot affort the repair at the moment due to pre-condition ACL tear and It difficult to get insurance, and waiting to getting into my MEDICINE career Next YEAR after all my I complete my medicine Boards. Even in the near future:It my Legs--and I am willing to Paid for it. I luv badminton and i want to play till am 100 year OLD and not need a KNEE replacement: hopefully by that time, Stem cell is like the next BIG things where YOU CAN GO SHOPPING FOR A SET OF NEW LEGS & hearts & a pair of LUNGS--->>>so i can play badminton at age 200 years OLD: Willing to Pay 1 million dollar price tag if that possibility exit!!!! It priceless!!!!

Right now, I am playing badminton w/out my ALC: but I run/twist/turn/jump above the average JOE, but my ability to JUMP higher and pain within my knee when bending above 110 degree. But, in normal playing, i feel like superBird--flying across the courts catching every drops from the back end like a breeze of wind!!!! Every night, I pray the lord to give me the strength in my knee,to be able to RUN/JUMP w/out a problem. I look at Every-day to be my Last DAy of playing badminton, so I take it as a blessing.....and I know what I am doing is against all REsearch and Guideline under Torn ACL....and ....hopefully....I get my ACL done before ....a KNEE REPLACEMENT AWAIT ME---WISH THAT NEVER HAPPPEN---PRAY THE LORD....pray for all who have ALC problems to give us strength and injured free.......badminton long live.....long live..............Good luck to all...

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

There may be other hidden costs: costs of the rehab, costs of travelling, costs of accomodation, opportunity costs of loss of income etc. :) Welcome to the wonderful discipline of health economics and Cost_benefit_analysis. A topic you may or may not touch upon in medical school ;)

#36 Cheung, Apr 23, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  17. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    Cost--->>> Yes, whatever it's take to have a good workable knee to play badminton or do sport you love for LIFE.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Money means nothing, when you cannot enjoy the things you love in LIFE. There's nothing cannot stop you from doing what you love best. Yeah, that why i went to MEDICAL SCHOOL--NOT ABOUT BEING A RICH DOCTOR, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF MEDICINE AND TO EARN A DOCTOR TITLE IMPRINT FOREVER ON MY GRAVE. Anyone can makes MONEY, Earning a title or making great achievement is PRICELESS MY FRIEND!!!!

18. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    AMEN MY BROTHER! :D

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Errr, yeah, whatever...

I think you missed the point on the cost aspect.

#39 Cheung, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  20. soami

soami Regular Member

I got both my knee acls reconstructed.I play badminton n harbour intentions to play at higher levels.It got to do with the rehabilitation that u undertake.More exercises better the knee.As for diff type of reconstructions u can do a research n decide.I will suggest against double bundle.its only done by doctors who want to fleece more money.and also messes with lots of tendons n holes in bones plus a longer rehabilitation.BPTB is gold standard but i ve gotten it done through hamstring with excellent results.
    U can ask me if u want to know something in particular.
    Regards