BWF Reviews Scoring System

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by pcll99, May 20, 2014.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    yea, both examples seem impossible. Not even table tennis matches can be that short in duration.

2. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I assume there was just an error (since that match wasn't assigned a court # on TournamentSoftware, and the program usually automatically starts a timer once you drag the match onto a court).

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Dear active players on the forum, please share your experience in Brazil with the new scoring system with us! Would be very interesting to hear the first impressions from the players point of view...

(we have only tested it in training and it was bulls****. But anyway, training is a different thing than matches...))

4. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    got to see the Coca cola Astec IC in Jakarta.

I see the new scoring system is interesting. the first set is just the warming up. the score doesn't really represent the players. you can have a 11-2 but then struggle at the next sets. the 11 score also means much more time to rest and have a break. I see the players aren't as tired as in the 21 score system at the latter stages.

I think the duration is similar to the 21 score system. but I didn't find any matches to 5 sets that are longer than 1 hour.

from my point of view:
    1st set: warm up
    2nd-4th: real match
    4th or 5th: finishing.

5. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Any worse or better for you as a spectator?

6. cyberlettuce

cyberlettuce Regular Member

I really don't like the tampering with the scoring system. Personally I think that they have it right on the 21 x 3 with extra points. It gives a chance for slow starters to catch up and allows several changes of ascendancy in the sets as well as the tension of the extra points at 20 which I think makes the game interesting to watch. I have to agree with a few earlier views in that they need to get the broadcasting in to a state that will allow the game to be viewed in the best most exciting way and that is probably far more important than changing the scoring system.

The overhead rear view currently being the standard used by bwf on utube I find does not capture the speed and accuracy of badminton. I very much like the view low and slightly to the side. This view shows the high of the shuttle both going over the net (which is astonishing at times) and the overall hieght and depth of the shuttle. I would like to see this view used more often.

Another thing that has struck me is how these proposed systems will translate to club badminton. After all the bottom line is you need people playing to make all this viable. It seems likely at club level that we would play to 11 (assuming the 5 x 11 system). I think that would leave a lot of club players dissatisfied. Ok it is good for court turn around but with the errors and generally short rallies in the club games the games will be over in a matter of a few minutes. It could result in a lot of players losing interest and thereby bwf losing their fan base or perhaps the clubs will keep the existing 21 rally scoring system.

I would be very interested to hear views of people who have seen the scoring sytems in action or played games with it. Naturally all I have to go on right now is speculation. Does anyone know when we will get to see a match with the new trial systems on utube?

7. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    the first set isn't too interesting, as it's more of a warming up and there are some players that make too much errors at the 1st set or have a slow start. but with 5 sets, it gives a room for improvement over the game. there are games where a player that easily lost the 1st and 2nd set fight back, some can win and others can at least drag on the game to the 5th set.

it's a new system so I think the players should get used to it.

I don't think it;s better or worse. it's still new, and I think it's pretty similar to the old 21 scoring system. Maybe the difference is the time is much better controlled, as it rarely drags on to beyond 1 hour.

and I think the time is the problem. maybe 11 points are too fast, and because there are no deuce, it is even faster. maybe there should be a deuce system or prolong the scores to 13-15. with the 11 score right now, it really gives the edge to fast and "not so many errors" players. defensive and slow starters aren't favored.

but maybe that's interesting, as we will see more fast and speedy games. where the players continuously attack each other rather than just be defensive.

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    the downside is maybe on weak vs strong players match. Those matches can end very quickly and in a very humilating score.

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Thanks for the detailed reply,interesting.
    With regards to the above quoted I think nearly all of us have to deal with that from time to time (maybe barring the top ten pro's), no matter what scoring system!

What you say about time for improvement, that's what I thought the main benefit to this system. Sometimes the tides change and there would be real potential of rocky-style comebacks from 2 sets and a few points down.

10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

"In recent years, the increasing time span of matches and long lead-up to the end of games and matches - especially where there's a big points difference – has somewhat compromised the level of excitement.

The 5x11 scoring system is aimed at creating more excitement and interest while reducing the time which matches take to be completed."

Hm, usually I am good coming out of the gate but bad at finishing, I wonder if this scoring system will help me a bit if I can capitalize early games in such cases and hope to put more pressure on and possibly take another set afterwards.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Warming up before the match starts will be critical. We have some local competitions in HK where it is only one game to 21 points! Essential to start off fast.

I like defensive play. I feel it adds an extra dimension to the game; something more to analyse and discuss i.e. variation.

12. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    It's more balanced than the 21 score system. You may capitalize early in the 5x11, but you also must somewhat maintain some consistency. And for finisher and slow start type it also gives room for improving the game.

I saw a match where the 1st set is 11-1, and it seems the 1st set winner can win easily, but the opponent can fight back. And I think contrary to the initial assumption, even if you lose 2 early sets, you can still fight for a comeback if your level is similar to your opponent (I'm not talking about bullying the weak)

13. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  14. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

when will the decision be anounced?

any chance the old counting will be kept? i have got the feeling that the new system will be introduced anyway...

15. MonkeyMadness

MonkeyMadness Regular Member

Please keep the old scoring!! Please!

16. mater

mater Regular Member

Nomad
    They are only in the infancy of experimenting with the scoring in level 3 and 4 tournaments. My guess is if BWF decides to change, it will change sometime next year. Introducing it at the Olympics in 2016 without a track record would be very bad for the sport.

17. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Never did I imagine that the 21 rally-point would be called "old"...

18. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    You have no time for mistakes at all..

19. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Just played men's singles and mixed doubles in a local tournament that wanted to try the new BWF scoring system. I can see why the players may like this system.

Singles: I was playing kids ~10 years younger than me (i'm in my 30s) and the new point system was good for my aging body. It may help prolong the careers of LCW, LD and other pro players.
    I know it was mentioned earlier that this may promote fast and attacking style play and be of harm to defensive/counterattack players. I am of the latter type and believe it won't make that much of a difference (I won the tournament by the way - but that could be due to experience, level, etc). As long as you're patient consistend and execute it doesn't matter the style.

Mixed doubles (going to generalize to all doubles):....this is where i can see the scoring system may be a little flawed. One of our matches we won 11-1...and then more respectable scores of 11-7. This scoring system punishes those that make mistakes. 3 point runs "feel like" they are equivalent to 7-8 pt deficits under the 21 point system. We all know that the first 3 hits in doubles is crucial..everything is compounded much more. Maybe this might be more exciting on tv...but the whole problem is that in doubles a tv viewer wants exciting long power smashing rallies...not 3 hit rallies that are over (which is what we see often in men's game).

My preference is still towards 21 points. Exciting comebacks can happen in both. I've lived through 15 points (which initially i said...don't change it) and grew to love 21 points. I've given the new system a try... I don't mind it especially for singles, but could see harm if it used in doubles.

My annoyance is more with the issue that you can't grow grassroots if you keep changing the point system every 8-10 years. it's no good for the game. I'd prefer the umpires better enforce players that delay if they want the games to move along quicker.

#179 DarthHowie, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  20. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    -

#180 Sundis, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2023