LCW: Innocent until proven guilty

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Husky, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Husky

Husky Regular Member

You'll all have heard the doping accusations re. LCW

And I for one am absolutely furious -

This is just 'trial by media' and hearsay at this point and it's absolutely appalling that LCW's being openly accused in the Press on the basis of a rumour. Yet again, BAM doesn't stand up for LCW, seem to be quite happy to have his name dragged into this. Yet again, the malaysian media are trying to tear LCW down at the slightest opportunity.

You would think that some respect is due for LCW at this point when there is ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF WHATSOEVER that LCW has done anything wrong.

I'm pissed off with people who think that LCW somehow owes their country a gold medal. I'm pissed off that a decent hardworking guy takes the amount of flak that he does when anywhere else in the world would pray to have an athlete and competitor half as good. This is a new nadir fuelled by what i can only assume is envy. My only consolation is that i'm certain LCW wouldn't knowingly take anything, i don't think its in his nature, i doubt he's ever considered it. And if the thought crossed his mind i am pretty sure he has too much respect for his competitors and too much decency to cross the line.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

It is exactly in times like these that separate one's real friends from the fake ones.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you need to separate out emotion, intention and fact.

while a lot of fans like yourself would believe that he is completely innocent, which is great as it shows that he has such respect from his fans and peers. you also need to consider the other two factors.

fact is that now both his sample A and B have been tested positive. unless you can some how claim that the testing done by labs are completely bogus, we will have to believe that there is banned substance in his system when he was tested. that's a fact.

now comes the intention part, how did the banned substance (we still don't know what it is) got into his system? was he under so much pressure to win at the WC that he took the wrong step? or perhaps he just took some medication for whatever reason without carefully checking to see if it has ingredient listed in the banned substance list?

I think everyone would want it to be the latter, and no fan would believe in the former. However, the rules are clear, the list of banned substances are clearly listed, it is up to the athlete to do the proper check before he take any medication.

4. aril79

aril79 Regular Member

if i'm not mistaken, sample B is yet to be tested
    heard it is to be done in november at Norway. correct me if i'm wrong

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Definitely agree with you.

Just thinking this thread should be merged with the LCW thread.

6. Gary Lim

Gary Lim Regular Member

100% agree with kwun. Let's look at things objectively and factually, then wait to see what actually happened to come to this

7. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Definitely agree 100%. The various media reports are very confusing surrounding this situation too, and now the new situation with the Malaysian anti-doping association. If that indeed played a part in this, I am not even sure what should be said.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. and good point, even the press cannot be trusted 100%. now it looks like the B sample results isn't actually out yet.

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

That's certainly shows the 'credibility' of BAM and Malaysia in handling 'big' issue! :rolleyes:

10. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    The only credibility that BAM is best in what they are doing is not able to produce credible future players to compete in the senior level in replacing their currently respective credible player.

11. Husky

Husky Regular Member

I agree to an extent with what kwun said not to mix emotions and facts:

However, these are the facts:
    A malaysian news source has come forward stating a professional shuttler has failed a doping test conducted at the Worlds. Specifically their A-sample has failed. The Star

The B-sample has not been tested yet, but will be in the next fortnight.
    http://www.dopinglist.com/?action=news&news=article&id=215
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sport/badminton-lee-chong-wei/1428174.html

Nobody has confirmed the identity of the shuttler - we can reasonably assume that it is one of Malaysia's team at the worlds. Nobody in BAM has *denied* it's LCW. But then they can't because that narrows it down to one of the remailing players, of which there is a small number.

Other newspapers have quoted the source's speculation, which is bad and lazy journalism.Headlines such as "Lee Chong Wei failed drug test at World Championships: Malaysian paper" refer to the initial assertions by the Star.

LCW needs to lawyer up and employ some PR, because this is libel dressed up as journalism. He needs to not conduct interviews and treat the media with caution. He needs to put out a clear and concise statement telling the truth. In particular, he needs to not conduct interviews in languages that he doesn't speak fluently like English. The old adage that if you are innocent you have nothing to fear is not true in this day and age.

12. Husky

Husky Regular Member

On a personal level, I strongly believe LCW is innocent. I really do. But in that worst-case scenario:

Even if guilty, there's a whole plethora of stuff that you and i can take as a matter of course for a cold or for the prevention and treatment of injury that is on the banned list.

Even if he really screwed up and took something he knew was banned, as the Psalms say, "put not your trust in the princes of this earth". I like LCW and respect him from what i know of him, but we are all capable of doing bad stuff. I've made my share of mistakes and I would be mortified if they were common knowledge!
    The flip side of being a fan is, or should be, the flip side of having a friend: that when they screw up royally, you stick by them. you don't presume to understand the pressures they're labouring under.

13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Not you bro but every one else especially his die hard fan.

Whatever the result will be and how eager we are to expect B sample would turn negative, damage has already done to his image and reputation and if it turns out that B as well would be positive, only God knows how Dato' will feel about it, alone us as his supporter. I think it is better for fan like us to prepare mentally the worst case scenario.

Like me and all my fellow badminton colleagues here in the place where i coach and practice, how disbelieve we are beyond words, we simply agree to make our heart and mind in peace that this is most probably the only way how Dato' want to go out from BAM and retire and how he wants to remind BAM that it enough for them to rely on him for so much and so long regardless of whatever monetary and sponsorship that he was given since all of his effort to back down was still not accepted. Seems a silly and troublesome kind of theory but that is how we want to comfort ourselves here.

How sad our feeling about our beloved Dato', it's his future that will be the main agenda. Guilty or not, i always believe that whatever incident that happens to us along our cycle of life, there is always a good reason behind it that only in his own ways only god knows and i choose to think positive regardless what is the outcome of Dato test and pray that his future will be more better then as before especially after what happens now. Amen

SS