Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Deity

Deity Regular Member

Can I add something? When you're at the back of the court, your arm goes to an 'L' shape and I think this is a bad form. Hit the shuttle higher/earlier when it's over your head and while doing so, swing your whole arm, your elbow pointing to the direction of the opponent's court then snap your wrist. It looks painful to me the way you hit the shuttle, and it's probably inefficient because you're using more energy and not transferring much of it to the shuttle. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Which side do you mean?? back hand side? Over heads??
    I generally use my whole arm, it might not be shown in the video.
    I'm a bit confused, when you said "your elbow pointing to the direction of the opponent's court then snap your twist"

3. Deity

Deity Regular Member

When you do overhead. You do an L shape then u hit the shuttle. It goes like this.. Your arm up > forward motion, your elbow pointing to the opponent's court side/forward > snap your wrist to hit the shuttle. All should be in one connected fluid motion. I hope i make sense lol

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I think his point is that you often play your overheads with a bent arm.
    His explanation seems to adress that - I guess he's trying to say that during the swing, at one point your elbow should point in the opponent's direction with your forearm pointing away from him. Then you should snap your forearm upwards and simultaneously pronate (=snap your wrist?). Look at one of the many FHF-slowmos to illustrate - his arm is always extended very far when he hits the shuttle, and you can see the different stages of the stroke beautifully. Not everyone has that shoulder mobility though :D

5. Deity

Deity Regular Member

I shouldnt have said snap your wrist lol. what jackie said, pronate!

6. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

ah I understand that a bit clearer, have you been able to watch a few of the videos?
    And your advice would be???

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Sorry, I've been pretty busy and will continue to be so for a while. Only got to watch part of the first video. What I've seen is that you do indeed contact the shuttle too low and have too much of an angle to your arm at the point of contact. I'm no expert on it as I have the same problem, but what seems to help me with that problem is focussing on contacting the shuttle high and getting most of the power out of the torso, rotating it into the shot and letting the shoulder and elbow move fluidly and effortlessly. Working on rotator cuff strength (=shoulder stability) and shoulder mobility is also likely to help (working on the rotator cuff is preventive, as increasing mobility may cause instability otherwise).
    If you have the room, try practicing the motion very slowly and controlled without a shuttle to get used to the feeling, reaching as high up as possible and then just angling the elbow a teeny tiny bit to avoid locking it (always an invitation for injury).
    I think FHF mentions it in one video, the key to a good smash is a fluid motion, not focussing on hitting it hard as that causes a stiff and thus slow racket arm.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So, got around to taping another couple of casual matches in training. Had good fun, testing out a couple of rackets, and as you can see, matches weren't deadly serious ;) Had a good start to the first set myself! :D
    Sadly, not such great movement as leg strength is not quite where I want it to be and the Achilles tendons have been acting up again. Gonna focus on recovery and conditioning a bit more for the time being, and with exams around the corner, not much (if any) time for badminton remains :S
    Anyhow, I hope you enjoy the match, and find the time to comment! :)

[video=youtube;s4UoZ1012gM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4UoZ1012gM[/video]

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Drew

Do a clear, half smash or drop routine.

When you step back and draw back your arm to go into the ready position for overheads, with the turn of your body, note the following in practice routines (not games):

1) start the movement at the point when your practice partner hits the shuttle

2) turn so that your body and hips face parallel to the side of the court.

3) make sure the elbow and hand cannot be seen by the person on the other side of the net.

4) racquet pointing up to ceiling

5) hit the shuttle reaching upwards with the full turn; change of leg position so your right foot is forward. You will need to jump upwards slightly if you are reaching up to strike the shuttle.

6) chassé step forward towards base, then back to 1)

Practice the good habits. It's easy to practice incorrectly if attention is not paid to detail. I put it into a check list format to help you with the details - you can take the list on to court and check each point. Obviously, I have taken j4ckie's points and reformatted it hopefully making it easier to practice on court.

IMHO, you have improved some consistency, you have got a bit faster but these are more due to better physical strength rather than a vast improvement in technique.

It's good you put up the video; so much easier to give targeted advice.

#2009 Cheung, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Another match in training, taped on Monday. Was a bit shocked about my legs and movement (certainly felt better than it looks :D), I guess I'll have to spend a lot of time in the gym to correct that...
    As always, any comments and/or advice are very welcome. I'm the tall guy in green if you don't know me already ;)

[video=youtube;n7iTM4icpqQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7iTM4icpqQ[/video]

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

your partner really crowds you when you are defending straight. There is a lot of room on the XC for him to cover (e.g. 4.36). At this time you're not defending square on and that's why the hip shot was especially tricky.

6.40 your partner is very slow in to the front - he's watching you play the shot instead of moving!

didn't watch much more - at work! ;)

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks ;) Yeah, still working on the defense. Partly I don't really play all that serious in training, partly it's still the bad habit of turning my feet sideways (in this case, purely bad habit, not being playful). I think 7:35 and 9:40 are my favorite rallies so far :D Very rare I get to play my favorite shot in doubles, and successfully to boot :D

13. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Forgot to post this video! Just a friendly session. Jamie is injured so he isn't moving very well in this game.

Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/Pm6eTG3qcHM

14. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I love those shots as well, but I over play them. People that know me well at club expect it now. I'm working on a 'show straight, fake xc net, play straight net' shot for sh!ts and giggles.

15. amleto

amleto Regular Member

[video=youtube_share;Pm6eTG3qcHM]http://youtu.be/Pm6eTG3qcHM[/video]

16. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Thanks amleto. You playing any England seniors this year?missed all of them last 2 seasons. Going to play a full season this coming year after a couple months of down season training.

17. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

I think the positioning of the two is correct here (his partner obv covers the middle AND the crosscourt, because noone smashes crosscourt...), but j4ckie should get rid of his (awkward!!!) tendency of trying to defend everything with his left foot in front...;-)

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Thanks for making me feel like Boe! :D But sadly for me, you're spot on about the foot position. No problem against slightly lower level pairs, then all of a sudden gets really important against equally strong players... :D

19. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Not this year, had foot surgery in November before I entered any tournaments. Hopefully will be able to next year if nothing else fails...

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Oh my :( Hope you recover well and there's no permanent after-effects!