Yonex ArcSaber Flash Boost ( ARC FB )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by yan.v, Jan 13, 2013.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Yes, footwork is most important. That's why I think it is better to spend your money on a better pair of shoes than a JP racket.

2. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    You mean like Yonex' completely unreproducable in an actual game situation 421kph smash with the Z-Slash?

#722 Maklike Tier, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  3. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    We've been over this 1000 times. It's pure speculation. There has not been one single shred of evidence that JP rackets are any different to any other.

At this stage if you want a 5U FB, then you have to get a JP version and pay the extra 25% (plus expensive shipping from Japan makes it closer to 30% to here) for it, but as soon as they release a non-JP 5U I'll consider getting that.

I'm not buying into Japanese elitism whether perceived or real.

4. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Pretty sure the instrument they used wasn't calibrated properly and once they realized it, they stopped using numbers for their newer model rackets.
    If those numbers were right, I'm sure they would be marketing high numbers for the Voltric series as well.

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    You can offset the shipping via buying multiple items. Group buys for the win. That's how I purchase stuff from Japan, and shipping ending up being cheap doing the math.

When I get my badminton stuff, they are slightly higher, but good thing I have good discount which offsets it and makes it reasonable or comparable price..

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I've read a lot of posts on various threads from many players who claim there is a difference between JP and other coded racquets at the high end. Not pure speculation. But don't expect me to go hunting for them just to buttress my claim - I'm not that desperate. You can either take my word for it, or not -that's up to you.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sorry, Matt :( I know that it was your pic you posted on this thread... just didn't stop to make the acknowledgement in my haste to finish the post. I apologize! :eek:

8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    :D I know ha ha! Just pulling your leg.

9. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Hundreds of people also 'claim' to have been abducted by aliens too, doesn't qualify it as 'proof'.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    if JP is not better, why so many people still willing to buy them despite 30% higher in prices?

11. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Seriously?

#731 Maklike Tier, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

If you just got suckered into paying 30% more, which is not even the case these days at this exchange rate compared to normal markets i.e. the West, you will try your utmost best to convince yourself ;) (I believe some of the reports of being "better" only pertain to the quality of the paintjob finish compared to usually SP region rackets).
    Even the RRP of such "lowly" codes as TW is pretty much the same as a JP one)​ Also the coveted SG mark I believe is attained by keeping the recommended string tension so low at which point it can still pass the quality/safety tests ... (it has no value outside of Japan so obviously you won't find it on non-JP codes). Iirc if you qualify for the SG mark the warranty will be paid from some general fund.

JP is just piggy backing on the general perceived quality of Japanese goods, which in some cases are indeed superior but at the same time clearly different from a supposed equivalent abroad. Or are you getting screwed over when you buy a Yonex in Switzerland at the same price as in Japan? :D (not to mention such overcharging markets such as the US, Canada and the UK)

#732 demolidor, Jun 8, 2013
  13. Superzoom

Superzoom Regular Member

I have been using FB from last 2 weeks. It's "F" G4 version (only F is available in US). I tried to inquire about "5U" version but it's not available.

"Only for me" I keep it tension at 20 lbs (let's not get involve into it why such a so called Beginner tension .. even my VT80 4U is 20 lbs). It's hybrid strings on racket as NBG95 main and BG68 on cross.

Certainly .. don't know about others game-style but it does feel like great racket for me at least. Despite being aggressive ... I don't use POWER (smash) as my main shot. quite frankly without using too many smashes .. just on control .. placement .. game tempo ... you can put oneself in good position .. to make that final smash to win point .. if you have already not won the point.

the Racket is quick ... It's Even balanced ... delight in Defense ( i like turning defense into offense in quick return .. where it excels ) and average / above average in offense smashes.

not going to say all the folks will like this racket .. specially 2U/3U people who are big beliver in smash or young guns (14 to 25 old ... just smash smash smash as only game style) may say it "Lacks Power' .. and they are right .. It's a not a ultimate Power racket ... while good power could be generated out of it without any problem.

in my opinion .. some of key characteristics of players (few or combination of many) who would find this racket very "comfortable and natural" ---- > Who are more wristy players .. have all-around game .. (healthy combination of all shots and Placement + Control + Power + good Badminton Play IQ) ... Probably very high skills and technique but may lack (physical fiteness .. relatively speaking) OR used to be great players but now with AGE (say 40+ old) need a little bit lighter racket while still playing at Advanced / High level even at clubs.

SZ

14. adrian880

adrian880 Regular Member

FB is one of the lovely racket I would like to buy, however the supported tension is too low

15. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Me too. I never exceed beyond 21 on any racquet. Whether it's Fb or N90 or AT900P or NS9900 or the Karakals. I thought I was the only one on this forum :)

16. slvrdrgn123

slvrdrgn123 Regular Member

Improving what little skills I have
    How high are you trying to go? Mine's strung at 26# and I've clashed with it a few times. No damage at all.

17. adrian880

adrian880 Regular Member

As usual I will use 26x28, but for this racket if not mistaken maximum supported at 24lbs, which I don't plan to take the risk

18. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    How it a risk? That's exactly the tension I'm using on my FB 5U and it's fine. It's no different than the other Arc Sabers which have the recommended tension like that; Even my Arc Saber 7 24lbs and I have it stringed at 26x28.

Remember, this is mainly for warranty purposes. It does not imply that is the maximum that can hold. The racket can hold high tension stringed properly by an experienced stringer. It's the one's who are inexperienced, it can cause the racket to break at the higher tensions.

#738 Matt, Jun 8, 2013
  19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This statement makes me a sad coach. ;)

There's nothing wrong with trying new rackets, and it's good to find a racket that suits you. But if you want to get better, you need more training, not more rackets.

20. Desouled

Desouled Regular Member

Desk
    Nicely said! I hope to get to a point where the racket is just a cosmetic choice instead of a game-changer.