Yonex Voltric 80 ( VT80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by fiq_axis, Jan 31, 2011.

1. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Most pros are able to bend the racket like that, no matter how stiff the racket is. Lin Dan does the same.

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Yep. That's the difference between pros and the rest of us.

3. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

How much did these "pros" pay for the training tuition BEFORE they become PROS & well-known? surely it ain't free, nor got picked-up randomly by government, were they? Especially these Chinese pros, i don't think most of 'em can afford such high training fee just to bet on getting famous years later!

4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Don't know. I think in China, if you show promise/talent, then the government will fund your training. Canada doesn't do that for it's atheletes. And they train everyday for the sole purpose of playing badminton. While the rest of us are working for a living and play casually.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

They can bend the racket like that mainly because their hand or rather biceps or wrist is powerful because they often goes to gym..

Actually we too can bend the racket till like that, it's just that we didn't noticed it. Because no on takes nice badminton photo of us:D

6. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes, I think most amateur intermediate-advanced level players bend the racket at least a little bit, no matter how stiff it is. We just need someone to take some slow motion footage of us!

7. jump-smash

jump-smash Regular Member

Sales Manager
    last night I watched Sudirman Cup Denmark vs Taiwan
    MD Mathias Boe / Carsten Moegensen vs Fang Chieh Ming / Lee Sheng Mu (VT80/VT70 vs BS10/BS10)
    the Taiwanese pair win over the Dans after 3 games
    the fastest smash on the 1st games N/A. 2nd games 260 vs 260 km/h. 3rd games 250 vs 265 kmh (Taiwanese pair is faster using BS10)

8. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    What was the speed of the fastest smash in the first game? And is there a link to the video? Were the Taiwanese players larger or more muscular? Boe and Morgensen aren't the most well built players in the world, but they are quite tall and have good reach.

9. KLFreedom

KLFreedom Regular Member

Hi, I am now mostly using 8dx, do u guys think i will have trouble using VT80? Which is faster in swing speed?

10. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    sorry I didn't pay attention to the chart at the 1st game so it's N/A = Not Available.
    I don't have the Link too. I watched Live Broadcast via cable TV last night.
    the Taiwanese is shorter than the Dans. And they are thin too. Not as muscular as Fu Hai Feng or Jung Jae Sung.

11. avengers88

avengers88 Regular Member

Hey u should check out Chinese taipei single player against Peter gade. His jumping smash is like 265 km/h and his not large. It's like almost skinny but wit more muscles here and there. Not very big though. And he lost because of the lack of concentration and stamina, my guess is that he used most of it in the first game as jumping smash consumes lots of energy. But his smash is really fast and gade having hard time taking it in the first game therefore he lost tat game.

12. jump-smash

Sales Manager
    yeah I watched that match too
    Peter Gade (34) vs that Taiwan kid Hsueh (25)
    VT80 vs SW35
    powerful smashes !

13. khoai

khoai Regular Member

14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Smash speed and power has a lot to do with technique and how you utilise the racket specs. Keep in mind that FHF and TBH (arguably the two biggest smashers in modern Mens Doubles) both use even balanced rackets (or at least they used to).

Also, I don't think any of the current Denmark players have huge smashes.

Finally, look at how skinny Lee Chong wei is, yet he is able to produce 260+km/h smashes at will with a very head heavy racket (VT80).

#1154 ssj100, May 27, 2011
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  15. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Just got hold of a 3UG5 VT80, strung with BG65 (apparently at 23x25, but feels more like 25x27). Left original grip in place and wrapped a thin Yonex over-grip on top. Balance point around 300mm. Before the over-grip was placed, balance point was around 315mm.

Did some dry swings and I can definitely feel it is super head heavy. Can understand why it would not suit many people who don't have the strength/technique to wield it. Compared it with Lethal 70 dry swings and it makes the "head heavy" Lethal 70 feel like an even balanced racket. I can tell that if I can match the swing speed of my Lethal 70, I should be able to get even more powerful smashes with the VT80, which is scary. I think the general swing speed (eg. for drives and defense) is somehow just as good as my Tantrum 300. However, I'll need to adjust my swing technique for smashing in order to match the Lethal 70/Tantrum 300 smashing swing speed - the VT80 has more weight in the head. Feels like an extremely solid racket made for power and yet should work well with drives/defense/drop shots too. Therefore not surprised that some reviews have said it is a good "all round" racket (even though its dry balance point is probably over 300mm).

Anyway, should be able to try it out tomorrow to see how it plays for real.

16. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    I just switched to VT80 today 4UG4. I swear it's hard for me to adapt to it. Since my usual racket has a BP of 280mm and now my VT80 BP is like 305~310mm. The drive feels nice and solid. Clears were effortless. Smashes ehhhh haven't really tried smashing with it. Overall not bad. I'll have another chance to play with the VT80 again tmrw. So I'll say more after that.

17. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

I noticed VT80 has shorter handles, about 10mm shorter. After played with it for 4-hour session, now my shoulder & wrist are a bit painful :(! I guess it is partially because i strung it with 26Lbs (NBG98) instead of my normal 24x26Lbs or 25Lbs. i guess i'll need more time to either adjust my muscle to handle 26Lbs or cut the string.

I must say VT80 packs more power, easily drive the shuttlecock, defensive is perfect, mine had a racket clash with some amateur stupid player but nothing happened to the paint at all.

18. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

You probably just need to spend several more "4-hour" sessions to get used to it.

Compared to which racket(s)?

19. chilli

chilli Regular Member

optician/businessman
    By now the tension should have dropped to about 24#s. Don't cut and waste good string. Go and play like it's your weapon of choice and have fun.:)

20. arfandy

arfandy Regular Member

Yes, it takes a bit more time to get used to it.

Compared to Spira21, N50, & BS11 (Although N50 might be better in defensive)