Recommendation required

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by tm2kger, Dec 3, 2012.

1. tm2kger

tm2kger Regular Member

Hi guys,

I would rate myself as an intermediate player. I play badminton now for eight months on a regular basis. I experienced that some other players who are obviously weaker than I am need to hit the ball with less energy to get the ball going with more speed. I think it is due to the crappy racket I have to play with. I am reading myself through different sites now to find a suitable racket for me but I am very confused cuz I don't know what I should look for.

My goal is to get more speed when hitting a ball without hurting my arm and shoulder every time i try to do an attack. So what do I need to look for ? Head balanced rackets?

Some advice would be helpful. Tahnks guys!

2. tm2kger

tm2kger Regular Member

btw. my budget is between 50 -75€.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

And your racket now is which model? ;)

8 months is also not a long time really ... but assume you must also be getting training during this time?

4. Perfektion

Perfektion Regular Member

Remember that you only played for 8months as you say. Equipment do of course play some part in it but getting a new racket won't necessarily improve you that much. Regarding the rackets I think you want a more head heavy racket to get that extra power in your shots.

5. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Yes, it would be good to say what racket you use now.
    Try a mid range flexible/medium flex, even to head heavy racquet and string below 22lbs/10kg.

6. tm2kger

tm2kger Regular Member

So I had a look on my racket. It is a Wilson Classic 90. Well, I don't know how old it is but I guess playing with a pan would be the same. I couldn't find any specs about this racket but maybe you guys know better sites than I do.

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

No, it will be due to your crappy grip/technique, sorry! (Unless you're using a wooden racket...)

8. tm2kger

tm2kger Regular Member

Although my technique might be the best, I can't confirm this. I trained this week with a racket from Yonex where I was able to hit the ball much wider. Same (crappy) technique, different racket.

9. tm2kger

tm2kger Regular Member

Oh I forgot to add the "NOT" :) Otherwise it doesn't make sense :D

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

You can hit the bird wider? I don't understand. Sounds like you mean now you can hit it further?
    If a new racket makes such a difference to distance, then it sounds like you have gone from a light or head-light racket to a heavier or head-heavy racket AND that you have poor technique.

I'm sorry, but if your technique is sound you can get good distance irrespective of racket. You virtually tell us that you have poor technique by saying this:

Assuming you are using a graphite racket, do you really think that another racket made out of the same stuff can give your shots much more power with much less effort? No - it is common sense.

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

His racket seems to be a cheapo Wilson with external t-joint and undoubtedly poor stringing but if you are hurting your arm and shoulder on your attacking shots your technique could use a little work as well ;) ...

*goosfraba*

12. amleto

amleto Regular Member

maybe the strings are too old? Not sure how ancient strings behave with no tension.

13. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    if you have only played badminton for 8 months total, then i would rate you a beginner regardless of how fast you can learn all the skillz. if you're indeed some type of intermediate player then i will assume you've played badminton in the past, but maybe took a break, and are now back into playing.

for a beginner, on the safe bet, i would recommend something even balance with a flexible shaft. the arc002 is perfect. even now i still take it out and whip it around and it's so much fun. after you've improved your skillz, then you will know what will be a more suitable racket for you with more specifics. good luck :)