Chen Long ( 谌龙 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by robin7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Justheretoplay

Justheretoplay Regular Member

Student
    Subsidized yes, but in no way do you get full payment for your studies by the government automatically. In the USA, if you are capable of earning a scholarship, it usually covers all your expenses throughout university (assuming you get a full scholarship). However the average person would most likely not get that full scholarship so in that respect, you are correct. If you were to play basketball and were really good at it, a school in the US would pay for everything as compared to a Canadian athlete who would have to pay part of it on their own. My point is that Canadian athletes have it tougher because even if you have potential, the government will assist in the cost for your training, but at the same time they don't help enough so athletes can't focus solely on training for a sport.

2. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    OK, I have been watching Chen Long's matches and here it is mentioned on the first page in a number of comments. I would just like to clear this up:

Chen Long in NOT from Xiamen city, Fujian province. He's from Jingzhou city in Hubei province. He started training there as a boy until he was a teenager. Jingzhou city has bad relations with the Hubei provincial team so he (like many players from jingzhou) joined the Fujian provincial team.

That needed to be cleared up

3. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Looks like Chen Long is heading for a free fall. Is this going to be the start of his decline or he will bounced Back? LCW had a free fall in 2006 but bounced back in 2007 and has never fallen since. Could CL do it?

4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    No need to worry, CL is fine. He needs more time to tour Japan with WSX. China and Japan are edging to fight, they may not going to Japan next year if fighting begin.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Chen Long, The Dragon, IS BACK ! Chen Long is The World Champion 2014 !

This hard-won victory, his first major title, one of the two most-coveted in badminton for any individual apart from the team championships - the other being the Olympic Gold - couldn't have come at a more propitious time, just when he needed it most. It marks an important turning-point in his career at age 26 now, indeed a significant breakthrough after a number of bitter disappointments - from the 2011 WC R1 shock loss to bronze at London Olympics 2012 to his defeat to Lin Dan at the QF stage of the 2013 WC to the heartbreaking fiasco at the Thomas Cup'14. That his redemption and ultimate victory came despite his two previous successive defeats at the hands of LCW before besting his archrival on this important occasion when it counted most at the final of the WC - is incomparably sweet and a resounding stamp of approval that he, Chen Long, has finally arrived. Henceforth, for the next 12 months, he shall get used to being rightfully addressed as The World Champion and savour it.

Post match at the first opportunity, this was what Chen Long wrote on his Tengxun weibo (microblog):" The first world championship gold - over the years, why do you always elude me ?! A strong heart, easily defeated by you, and then tears roll down my face. I know, the road to Rio is long and very hard but I will regret if I don't take it. Copenhagen, the new starting point of my dreams ! Men's Singles victory for sure!" - http://sports.qq.com/a/20140901/055756.htm (if my humble translation is not good enough, please feel free to improve upon it)

6. Giga01

Giga01 Regular Member

He played excelently in the final. Some extraordinary points by both players. I wonder if Chen Long made even a single misstake!
    His matches with Son Wan Ho and Tommy was also a display of tactical elegance. A joy to watch, really.

Good to see him back in form, let's hope it stays that way for a while!

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For those who are curious about Chen Long's Chinese name (in simplified Chinese characters),

= sincere, faithful (traditional Chinese character )
    = Dragon (traditional Chinese character )

谌龙 = sincere,faithful dragon

8. yeo_melaka

yeo_melaka Regular Member

I think Chen Long's game have been more interesting in recent months, somewhere around world championship onwards (must have taken a beating from Yong Bo since thomas cup flop).

The final in Asian Games against LD and Denmark against SWH has been nice to watch. He seems to attack more compared to few years back (i may be wrong since i seldom watch his match). He's not just in top form but in better form compared to early this year and last year.

9. soulless

soulless Regular Member

Graduate student
    But since Chen is his last name, he would be sincere and faithful something regardless of his first name (it could be tiger, monkey or mantis. The guy can do no wrong.

10. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    if Chen Long can reach China SSP final, he'll become the first man apart from Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei as the world #1 since June 2006

11. kalippo

kalippo Regular Member

only if lcw gets banned for doping and loses all points or at least the wc points. otherwise he could only reach #1 after the ss final

12. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Wow. Didn't know this fact. Since June 2006!!! This is a long time *lol*

13. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    LCW's sample B is positive, very likely he will be out from SS Finals.
    i even think 3 months ban is almost impossible. I guess the minimum is 6 months ban.

So, LCW will lose about 12,500 points from HK and SSF

if CL can reach China SSP final...he is officially the world #1 after SS Finals

14. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    Peter Gade, world #1 in June 2006...but only for 1 or 2 weeks

15. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    there was a sudden (?) change in world ranking around June 2006. Peter Gade in MS, and Xu Huaiwen in WS as world #1

cmiiw, if they still use the previous format, I think very likely Lin Dan was the world #1 from Feb 2004 until Aug 2008

#515 Fortune, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  16. kbase

kbase Regular Member

Is he using N 90 II ?

17. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

The problem with CL is that he reserves his A-game for LCW and his B-game is not up to snuff.

While LD is often guilty of the same, LD's B-game is far superior and LD can mix in his A-game from time to time.

If CL has any inspiration to be one of the best in the history of badminton, he needs to bring his A-game more often or much improve his B-game.

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Excellent suggestion and to the point.

Chen Long has the physicality, athleticism, agility, height and reach to play an explosive attacking badminton coupled with superb defence and counterattacking abilities to overwhelm most of his opponents. But he chose, more by his temperament than choice, to play a less attacking but more rallying game instead and often finds himself trying to match wits and getting outfoxed by smarter and well-prepared opponents occasionally.

If he has Lin Dan's vast experience, intelligence and strong mentality, that'll be a different story and he can play a la Lin Dan nowadays to great success. Since he's comparably inferior in those aspects, I'd say it's better for him, while he is still relatively young and strong enough, to play fast and furious badminton in the manner of Lin Dan in his younger days. Nevertheless, it'd do Chen Long a lot of good to learn how to analyze his opponents' games, read them better and anticipate their shots as much as possible. I hope Sun Jun can help him in this regard.

19. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    congratulations to Chen Long...the newly crowned world number one :)

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Except that Chen Long has said he doesn't want to become world ranked No.1 because LCW or somebody else couldn't play but to earn it by winning matches and tournaments over his rivals. Good for him.