Yonex Voltric 9, VT9

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by aramistuscany, Jan 27, 2012.

1. ChongHL

ChongHL Regular Member

2. ChongHL

ChongHL Regular Member

When to AJ yesterday, try to swing it. It most heavier than vt 5 and 7.Feel like you add additional weight at 12 o'clock.You can try to add about 5g lead at 12 and try the feel. If you like it than you can try VT9. :DYou know, those lead that use to balance our car rim.

3. xen0303

xen0303 Regular Member

Got my vt9 3ug5 last nite. Pair up with bg66um @26lbs.
    From the swing, the head feel heavier than my at70mg.
    the head frame is so thin to compare with at70mg. The bulge at 10 and 2 o'clock is noticeable.
    The shaft, I can't spot the different between vt9 and at70mg for the thin measure. Suppose vt9 have thinner shaft, right? Bare hands bend, can feel the stiffness over at70mg which is medium. I'd say not that stiff, just a lil bit stiffer than at70mg.
    Amazing paint job.

Will have my first session with this racket tonite. Hope this vt9 is faster than my current at70mg. :)

#83 xen0303, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
  4. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    Anybody else had badly flaking paint on their VT9 ?

Mine are from a local UK Yonex distributor so shouldn't be any probs with authenticity.

Although the one I have that's flaking was the first one they had and started as a demo racket - although I bought it before anybody else tried it :D

The second was a different order and only played lightly with it so far. (one mainly footwork/fitness training session.)

Have mine strung @ 25lb with Nanogy 95 and Yonex towel grip on top of stock grip.

Feels great - I tried VT70 and VT80 and preferred the VT9 - thankfully for my wallet!

General feel/solidity and net shots seem much improved over my old super-flexible low end Muscle Power 23's. (they were strung with Zymax 67 @ 24lb) And also felt better than the VT70 and VT80 around the net to me.

And the best feature of the racket is it's smashing as most will realise based on pure paper specification.

5. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software
    Review? Never done before, but here is my short review...

I have been playing with this VT9 almost 10 sessions now. Averaging 30-60 mins on court play-time per session.
    It is a head-heavy racket compare with my other head-light KX racket. I can say that my smash speed has improved, and at the same time my front play are affected. With lighter (head-light) racket I have no problem doing a quick net kill, net block, net intercept and a surprise backhand drive (when shuttle at mid-court just above the net). Because of this racket heavier than my previous one, usually at end of the session I can feel the slight pain on my wrist. I can feel the vibration coming to my hand when I hit the non-sweet spots.

Overall still love and enjoy playing with this VT9.
    [video=youtube;-SgOkzWdu5M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SgOkzWdu5M[/video]

6. xen0303

xen0303 Regular Member

Just had a session ~ 2++ hours today with this racket...

compare with my previous at70mg:~

~this racket is indeed faster...first match, my timing was always off.
    ~I barely can feel the 'head heavy' in real time play. it just so light..lol. but when smashing, the power is there.
    ~less dragging..can move faster..
    ~netplay and dropshot..felt really awesome.

I need more session to suit with this racket. Overall, I love it for my 1st session.

7. BlueTornado

BlueTornado Regular Member

Nice touch adding a video to the review, pretty unique :) For future reviews though, I don't think the video actually contributed much in terms of giving anyone new information :p I also think you should add some comments about why you gave the racket the number ratings that you did, otherwise they're kind of meaningless and subjective.

8. pchin2

pchin2 Regular Member

My regular racket is VT70. I just got my new VT9 as a back up racket & so far had used it in one session only (about 3 hours game play). This is my first impression:

-As VT9 is head heavier than VT70, initially I was having a hard time in adjusting...my wrist action, timing, etc were all out of sync! :eek:
    -Same as kampungboy, I was struggling with the maneuverability & was very slow in defense. :(
    -I love the smash power! Much more power than my VT70..cool! :cool:
    -No problem with drop, net play, etc. ;)
    -Now for the bad news! After the end of my game I was suffering wrist, shoulder & back pain. :crying:
    -Looking forward to my next game, will give the VT9 (and my body!) another round of workout. Hopefully this time I will get the hang of it & begin to enjoy using it. :)

Overall, VT9 is a solid racket & indeed worth considering esp those with lower budget. Oh yeah, as some of you mentioned, this is indeed made in Taiwan (not Japan). :p

9. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

No wonder, when playing a stiff racket like the VT9 ... especially, when you got used to a flexible VT70 before.

I bet, the VT5 would have been the better choice for you ... flexible too, but head heavier than the VT70.

10. kampungboy

kampungboy Regular Member

Sales
    Pchin2, I think you forget to mention the sweet smashing sound of VT9 when you hit the sweet spot:D Seriously, I wonder if a 4U VT80 will be less demanding on arm and shoulder? The head heavier VT80 just feel more "smooth" and "light" when swing it compared to VT9.

11. pchin2

pchin2 Regular Member

Yes, VT5 could be better...wish it came with 4U, that will be great. I got used with stiff frame from previous racket so probably the VT9 3U weight is also a factor that contribute to my soreness. :(

Hehe...in my next session I will try to pay more attention to the "sound filter" effect...:D Yes, I think so with the VT80 4U "lighter" weight to compensate the heavier head hence should provide easier maneuverability than the VT9 (and less sore!). :)

12. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

Then get a VT7, which is a VT5 in 4U, but lacks power, which is to be expected with the lower weight ;)

Mmh, maybe, but I think if you're really familiar with a stiff one, than it's maybe more the material, which transfers the impact into the arm ... more like a VT80 would do.

13. kampungboy

kampungboy Regular Member

Sales
    My VT9 currently strung at 25lb from previous 24lb with BG66 and it seems to generate more power. Anyone try stringing at 27lb or 28lb before? The spec is 24lb and I am worried it may crack.

14. pchin2

pchin2 Regular Member

Haha last week out of frustration with the VT9 I ended up buying a VT7. :D The reason was after over 2 weeks of using VT9, somehow I still finding it hard to adjust & my shoulder injury kept recurring. :(

Yup VT7 has less power but very nice & comfortable to handle. Nevertheless, it can still generate enough power during smash. No more wrist & shoulder pain now. :)

15. Aymara

Aymara Regular Member

As I always say: A stiff racket is not for everyone. I'm one of them ;)

16. Anuj sharma

Anuj sharma Regular Member

student
    it is available in market ..... got one for myself just today .... feels nice ... nice graphics .... in india(delhi) its available for Rs 4000 ... if u know d right place to buy

17. tchan

tchan Regular Member

Junior High Student
    I just got one to replace my cheap MP23. Man, this thing is POWERFUL. My first smash I did with this, I made my cousin do the splits to try and get it. This racket is frikkin awesome. Great sound, awesome power, pretty good control. Only problem I have with it is that it is a little bit harder to defend with it, but once you get used to it its awesome. When you hold in your hands, it feels like its super heavy, but when you play with it you really don't notice it much. Overall I think this was totally worth the CDN$130 I paid for it.

18. Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan Regular Member

Student
    i feel the same way as you do.....
    a bit too heavy for me and my defense become slower.....
    i think i will let it go and get VT7....

19. tyshk

tyshk Regular Member

I do rekn VT9 is too stiff, but I do like the weight and head heaviness, therefore VT 5 is my choice and it is my favourite racket atm.

Don't really know why Yonex is claiming that VT 5's shaft is "Medium". To me it is very similar to Ti10 (yellow)'s stiffness. It should be categorised as "Stiff" or "Med Stiff", where as "Extra Stiff" for VT zf.

20. Gunnersfan

Gunnersfan Regular Member

Student
    i agree with u.....
    i think to get VT7 but i got some "bonus" from my father and i ended up with VT70...
    yonex claimed it to be medium but i think it is medium stiff.....
    but i still comfortable with it as it is less stiff than my old VT9 n less head-heavy....
    my defense back to normal at last.....:)