CHN/KOR/INA WD pair disqualified from the Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by FlamingJam, Aug 1, 2012.

1. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    I do agree with what you said. "technically" is used for liners. However, what's also a liner/tweener or whatever you want to call it, is the broad term of "to the best of one's ability". Logic dictates that the best of one's abilities is the necessary amount of skill needed to win the match. If they deemed the opponents (CHN/KOR/INA, seeing each other), to be weak, then this term doesn't apply to them, because they would have used as much skill as them deemed necessary to win the match. Although, this does goes without saying that you say this without watching the match ;) if you watched the match, it was absolutely a farce. But again, like I mentioned, it was not "match fixing". The term doesn't apply, and the use of it slanders the very participants unethically we are trying to save. They cheated the system, the format, they broke the oath of olympics/sportsmanship, whatever you want to call it. They did something that didn't seem right, but they did not match fix! lol =] I'm just a big stickler on that. Because when you use terms that don't apply, it's indication that you're pulling issues and tissues from the desperation box =]

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    So no final result yet ???

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the problem is the 2008 oscar winner doesnt teach them how to act
    too bad.

4. xXazn_romeoXx

I am Canadian. But I find this appauling and disgusting. Teams who have earned the right to play in the KO stages should play. Or at best, have everyone in the KO stage and start this thing over. No one should be "brought back" after being eliminated. The same ideals as having the black card shown, and then recinded, and THEN only to DQ them again a day later. It's like a circus. Come on BWF! You're making a mockery of our beloved sport!

5. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I totally agree that the BWF is to blame too, however the players are also to blame as well as their coaches and the sanction was right.

Leaving your car unlocked with the keys inside in front of your house is unsafe and stupid, however, when a thief takes it, they should still be treated as a thief.

See what I mean ? Yes, you're stupid for leaving your car like that, but it doesn't make it ok to steal it.

6. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Hmm, the use of a smiley should have been a clue I was joking. However your question points to your inability to grasp that wrong is wrong no matter how strong the motive. I find that sad and a bit disturbing.

Also, since when is anyone 'entitled' to a medal? The Koreans had little motive to lose?? Seriously you have trouble grasping this. I can think of at least 2 motives which just a nanosecond of thought.

1. They don't have to face CHN in the elimination round.
    2. They force a CHN vs CHN elimination round.

The non CHN teams handled it badly. If I was in the Koreans place and saw that the CHN team was tanking our match I would have simply grabbed my gut and faked intestinal distressed and concede the match (did they learn nothing from Lin Dan?)

As for the second quartet (INA vs KOR), this is the match that is the real condemnation of the BWF in my mind. It speaks to fact that they saw what happened in the first match and rather than playing out their match and trusting the BWF to deal with the result appropriately they have been conditioned to trust that the BWF will simply turn a blind eye to such actions. They didn't factor in the fact that they are on the world stage and that the BWF would be forced to act.

#106 thunder.tw, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  7. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    impossible to make them play everything all over again...the venue is not only used for badminton...the scheduling was all planned out way before the games started..

8. DaveZZ79

DaveZZ79 Regular Member

Is there a video of the said matches? I haven't seen the matches and would like to see how painfully apparent it really was.

9. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I win Game 1
    My stamina is bust, so I deliberately drag and throw away Game 2 to take a breather for Game 3
    The crowd does not like that and starts booing, the umpire gives me a warning, but I really want to win the match, so I continued to lose Game 2
    In Game 3, I play the best that I can (I may win or lose)

Do I get disqualified for throwing away Game 2? Well, the best-of-3 system allows me to do what I did.

10. JLIU92

JLIU92 Regular Member

no one ever said the players and countries aren't to be held liable. In fact, they would be equally liable as BWF. The problem is the disqualification. Now, a random country will get the Bronze medal. Of course, it's absolutely perfect for expanding and advertising badminton in those countries, but do they really deserve the bronze? The chinese taipei facing tian/zhao, the japanese, and the danes, all respectively have a better right to that Bronze. Now, any of the four top nations in badminton could lose their right to a medal. This isn't just about the player's honor, its the Country's. A country, especially Asia, puts in a heck of an amount into their sport. What are they aiming for? Gold!

Im not saying the other countries aren't as worthy of the Bronze. Just that, in respect to rankings, effort, time spent into the sport, they aren't above the asians and danes/english.

11. RiverGrande

RiverGrande Regular Member

Student
    OMG i never thought it will happen before the olympic, just because China too greedy to take all medal and jreng jreng........

12. RiverGrande

RiverGrande Regular Member

Student
    get news that India team submit protest against Japan team(Mizuki/Reika) for 'throwing Olympic badminton match, is it true ?

13. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Yes, with all the effort they have put in the sport, they would deserve the medal more than other countries in normal circumstances. However, I think doing this kind of scheme makes them not deserve a medal anymore. To me it's like cheating.

14. xXazn_romeoXx

Not "impossible". Improbable and unethical, yes. Throw that away, and give me 24 hours and willing athletes, and I'll have your Gold, Silver and Bronze handed out when I'm done ;)

But still, jokes aside. It's not a great message to send that teams eliminated can come back, and win a Bronze! How unfair is that to the eliminated pairs of group B and D?

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Please don't take me seriously. I am far from serious even if I don't put smileys. And please argue the point, not take digs at others.

Neither the winner or loser in Group A will face a Chinese pair in the QF. Given their (the Koreans) ranking in WD, they are likely to lose to any of the top two pairs in Group C anyway. Even if they won, there usually is a Chinese pair waiting in the SF anyway.
    Basically, what I am trying to say is that they are not a strong pair (in the company of the really top pairs) and it does not really matter if they finish top or second. "Forcing a CHN v CHN match" is a really weak motive, in my opinion.

The Chinese on the other hand have a very strong motive to lose and that's because they (the Chinese) think they are entitled to both gold and silver.

So, if I am BWF, if I am going to disqualify someone (from that match), I would have just disqualified the Chinese. The Koreans after all, won in straight sets in fairly comfortable margins. The scoreline definitely does not indicate that they want to lose, unless they really suck at trying to lose.

16. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/was-indias-doubles-exit-fixed-jwala-thinks-so-400594.html

Was India's doubles exit fixed? Jwala thinks so

by FP SportsAug 1, 2012

India's exit from the doubles competition was heartbreaking for everyone watching. But now Indian doubles star Jwala Gutta has alleged that matches in their group might have been fixed as well.

These allegations comes in the wake of a scandal involving women badminton players who �threw� matches to manipulate the draw, prompting jeers from the crowd and angering fans for undermining the spirit of the Games.

The World Badminton Federation charged eight players with misconduct on Wednesday after each team in two women�s Olympic doubles encounters tried to �throw� the matches to secure a more favourable draw later on.

�The pairs have been charged � with �not using one�s best efforts to win a match� and �conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport�,� the federation said in a statement.

Jwala and Ponappa think Japan fixed the match. Reuters

South Korea head coach Sung Han-kook said two of his teams had attempted to throw their matches against China�s world champion duo and an Indonesian team but added it was in retaliation against the Chinese team who instigated the farce.

He said they had deliberately tried to throw the first of the tainted matches to ensure their leading duo of Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli would be sure not to meet China�s number two pair until the gold medal decider.

But so far, it was an allegation that had not reached Group B, which was the group that India was in.

�Japan is a strong team, we were shocked when they lost. I personally suspect foul play, it is shocking,� said Jwala Gutta.

�I�ve known them for quite a while and know the kind of game they play. Japanese are known to never give up and I know both the pairs and for me, it shouldn�t have been this easy.�

�They threw the match because they didn�t want to face the Chinese in the next round,� she further added. �Action should be taken against the guilty.�

The Indian team missed out on a quarter-final spot but just 1 point � Japan had a 4-point difference and India just had 3.

�I never expected that people to throw away the match. We have not been taught like that. We deserved to be in the quarter-finals,� said Jwala.

P Gopichand, India�s coach, said that the BWF was warned about such a situation arising in the manager�s meeting.

�In the manager�s meeting, this issue came up � the BWF just brushed it aside and said that it won�t happen,� said Gopichand.

Of course, this isn�t the first time such an issue is cropping up. Chinese coach Li Yongbo admitted that China fixed the semi-final of the 2004 Athens Olympics so that Zhang Ning would beat Zhou Mei and reach the final. Zhang eventually won the gold in Athens.

And South Korea have also done this in the Thomas Cup.

17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

It's updated, all 4 pairs are out.
    [TABLE="class: lcg-tbl pk lcg-table-expanded"]
    [TR="class: odd status2 medal0 schedParent"]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: testSL team"]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: score c"]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: r"]basic_expand [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: even status2 medal0 schedChild phBDW0023"]
    [TD="class: r utcdate tmevt"]17:02[/TD]
    [TD]Quarterfinals[/TD]
    [TD="class: team"] [​IMG] SOROKINA V / VISLOVA N
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: score c"]

[/TD]
    [TD="class: team r"] [​IMG] EDWARDS M / VILJOEN A
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: odd status2 medal0 t_u schedChild phBDW0023"]
    [TD="class: r utcdate tmevt"]17:45[/TD]
    [TD]Quarterfinals[/TD]
    [TD] [​IMG] FUJII M / KAKIIWA R
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: c"]

[/TD]
    [TD="class: r"] [​IMG] JUHL KR / PEDERSEN C
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: even status2 medal0 schedChild phBDW0023"]
    [TD="class: r utcdate tmevt"]17:49[/TD]
    [TD]Quarterfinals[/TD]
    [TD] [​IMG] BRUCE A / LI M
    [/TD]

[/TD]
    [TD="class: r"] [​IMG] CHOO L / VEERAN R
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: odd status2 medal0 t_u schedChild phBDW0023"]
    [TD="class: r utcdate tmevt"]18:32[/TD]
    [TD]Quarterfinals[/TD]
    [TD] [​IMG] CHENG WH / CHIEN YC
    [/TD]

[/TD]
    [TD="class: r"] [​IMG] TIAN Q / ZHAO Y
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

18. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    You got a good point there... The best of 3 system gives you an incentive mechanism to use game 2 as a breather...

BWF [validated by the IOC] created a tournament system that gives an incentive system for the WD competitors to 'rest' after they have qualified to the QF... so, why not use it. It is legal... :D

19. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

So, another 4 pairs suddenly find themselves in QF, semi and a possible medal. Wow

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well, all 4 pairs involved are disqualified. Confirmed, because the QF is already underway with the 3rd and 4th teams in Groups A and C upgraded.

This is a windfall for Sorokina/Vislova who are suddenly huge favourites for the bronze.