Re: New badminton club in Scarborough

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Tornoni, Feb 19, 2010.

1. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

2. khaoswing

khaoswing Regular Member

Thank you

Now I can go and do some rally:D

3. yub29

yub29 Regular Member

went there last Wednesday, the courts are all right. don't think they've finished renovating yet though. lol it's a little sketch there at night! the courts are the side gets a little wonky with the parts of the walls sticking out. but overall, it was pretty good.

4. adidascanada

adidascanada Regular Member

Did you really see that much? I must have lost weight.....:)

5. yub29

yub29 Regular Member

more turkey? lol :cool:

6. khaoswing

khaoswing Regular Member

Very Nice

This place was pretty good, condersidering you want something in mid-scarbough. This is the place, David the guy who runs it was good too...I would highly recommend it:D, But the other post was right the courts are a little too tight together..:crying:, but overall 4.5 stars outta 5

7. supernova

supernova Regular Member

senior software developer
    I went at night. the lighting was ok at nigh sessions.
    I'm wondering if there will be glare from the windows
    during day time.

If they could re-paint the wall with a dark color (dark green/blue),
    aobc will be a perfect place for non-pro badminton!

8. khaoswing

khaoswing Regular Member

Yah

Totally AGREE....:D

9. bellyjeans

bellyjeans Regular Member

University Student
    went there tonight with some friends. got there late so they wouldn't allow any more drop ins, but they offered to open till 12am instead of 11pm because we rented a court for 2 hours from 10pm - 12am. Very friendly and accommodating. the courts feels very good compared to school gyms etc. Will definitely go back.

10. kalvin28

kalvin28 Regular Member

After two months’ promotional period and trial operation, the management of AOBC has decided to modestly increase the prices of the programs we offer as following. We believe that even after increase, our prices are still very competitive and convenient compared to other major badminton clubs around GTA area. We invite all badminton fans and non-fans to continuously discover our facility and make use of our programs. We would also like to thank all who have provided us with numerous recommendations, feedbacks, and suggestions. We are taking these suggestions into heart and some into action on a gradual basis. We have a lot to do on our list, but we will get there.

You may purchase $100 court rental credit and various punch cards before May 1st to lock in at the lower prices.

Program
    Price Before May 1st
    Price on/after May 1st
    Terms/Expiration
    Court Rental Fee
    $10/hr+gst
    $11.00/hr tax included
    No membership, no guest fee
    Court Rental Fee (rush hour*)
    n/a
    $12.00/hr tax included
    No membership, no guest fee
    Drop-in Fee
    $5.00+gst
    $6.00 tax included
    3 hours
    10 time Punch Card
    $40 + gst
    $50 tax included
    3 months
    20 time Punch Card
    $70 + gst
    $90 tax included
    6 months
    30 time punch card
    $90 + gst
    $120 tax included
    12 months
    10 Hour Court Rental Credit
    $100 + gst
    May not be offered
    12 months
    Monthly Membership
    $35
    $35
    1 month
    Quarterly Membership
    $90
    $90
    3 months
    Annual Membership
    $365
    $365
    12 months

Rush Hours:

Monday to Friday:
    8:00pm to 10:00pm

Saturday and Sunday:
    2:00pm to 6:00pm

Our website (www.AgincourtOpen.com) will be updated soon to reflect those changes.

Prices may be changed with or without notices. If any discrepancies between above table and AOBC’s live quotes, the live quotes will be deemed accurate.

In addition to the price changes, following announcements for your attention:

1. Coaching demo session by Coach Jensen Ong on April 25, 2010 Saturday afternoon 3 to 5pm. This is a free session but please inform by email the potential students’ name, Tel#, age, and ***.

Jensen’s background:
    *Many years of experiences in provide private and group lessons to ages
    from 8-65 yrs old.
    *2009 Badminton Instructor for Town of Markham Culture & Development.
    *2004 Sheraton Parkway Club Tournament Gold Medal winner (badminton,
    tennis, squash & table tennis).
    *1994 Badminton Instructor for Toronto Board of Education in Summer
    program.
    *1994 Senior Athlete of the year Riverdale Collegiate Institute.
    *1993 Canadian National Badminton Tournament Bronze Medal winner.
    *1990 Junior Athlete of the year Riverdale Collegiate Institute.
    *1990 Badminton Training in Denmark Copenhagen at Hvidovre Badminton
    Club &
    Hojberg Badminton Club.
    *1989 Badminton Training from Mr. Cheung, who is the master of 3-times
    World Champion by the name Yang Yang.
    *1990 to 1994 Badminton Training from Mr. John Gilbert, who is the
    Canadian
    National Coach, he produced numerous of Canadian Champion and he is 2009
    Canadian Hall of Fame.

2. Summer Court Rental booking
    We are currently accepting summer group booking on negotiated rates, please contact us before it too late.
    3. School Booking and Tournament Booking
    Also accepting court booking from schools, churches, for tournament or school varsity team practices.
    4. off-site racket stringing service offered
    Price list on website soon

AOBC
    AgincourtOpen.com

This newsletter is sent to individuals interested in badminton. If you are not interested in receiving this newsletter, simply reply with "remove" in the subject.

11. PopsiclePete

PopsiclePete Regular Member

the lighting is quite horrible with the curtains not closed fully, especially the courts along the windows. As such, stray beams of sunlight come in and the shuttle disappears for a brief second.
    Also, the lighting is awkward as some courts are bright, while others are dark...

However, for the price, it's a good place to play.
    Suggestion, the courts away from the windows or court #5

12. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    A sad story

We have been playing at Agincourt for quite sometime now. In fact, we are fond of this place and would always recommend it to anyone that we know until recently.

Followings are just some observation or experiences we encountered:
    - like many previous posting, the lighting is poor because they are strategically situated 3/4 of the court on the ceilings. If your opponent is playing Clear to your baseline, you will find the lighting to be a nuisance.

- the owner increased the court rental fee when it comes to Ontario Harmonized Sales Tax on July 1st (i.e. the GST 5% is merged with PST 8% to become one single administered federal HST 13% tax). That said, we have never received any receipts when we paid our fees. If you charge full tax to your customers, shouldn't you give the receipts out? Sad....

- due to the Winter season and also higher utility costs, the owner increased the fees again. So the cost is now passed on to the players. This is a common business practice, you either take it or leave it.
    My question is, would the fees be lowered in Summer when the heat is not needed? Please bear in mind, there is no A/C at this location. Sad....

- in the Fall when we complained it's cold on the courts, not only were they slow to turn on their heat but their windows were actually opened. So we asked them to shut the windows. Their response was "Which windows?". Sad.....
    ~ the fees was increased becuase of higher utilities, will they refund the money when they ought to turn on their heat but didn't? Maybe not.

- this is my all time favourite. You can play there as a guest drop-in or renting a court, we normally do the latter. After you pay the appropriate fees, you will be assigned a court #. Not once but twice, we have been 'asked' to leave the court prematurely. Why? Because the place was overbooked. Of course, we can always say "No" to his request. If you think carefully, why us, why are we being chosen, why penalize someone who wasn't responsible for the mess they did with schedule booking? Sad....

We can't say everything is perfect and in life we always give and take amongst each other. If we are happy, we will continue to come back with repeated business. Since we started playing there on a regular once a week basis, we have never failed to show up. If you can't even retain your regular customer over the long run, then this will be a sad case.

Thanks for reading.

13. magicwrist

magicwrist Regular Member

Me too have encountered the same problem like this OP. Me and my friends play there every single weekend for the past 8 months without a single time absent, most of the time there we rented the court for 2 to 3 hours, during the past 8 months or so, they have increased the rental fee 3 times from $22 to $25 when hst kicked in, then $26 2 weeks ago because of winter heating then $28 because winter heating again. Does this make any sense? may be by mid winter season we should see it reach to $30. fyi the amount is based on 2 hours court rental. I think we were treated very unfairly, we supporting his business and recommended many people to play there. he should consider giving us little discount instead of increasing it. I am not asking for a big discount or anything, atleast not rising the fee like that. Mind you, all these fee increasing happened without any advance notice, no announcement, no posting, just pure surprise. Recently there is a bit more people are playing there, we too were asked if we can leave early so other people can rent the court, because I we have fewer people playing on the court. we paid the same amount of money with other people paid. we are not special or not too welcome there because we have fewer people on the court? if he charge by person then I totally understand he point. I am totally confused and I don't very understand what is the reason behind he doing that. That's all for now and please to all the OP here if you have any problem or issued please post your story. Thx

14. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

drop-in still at $7. what does that tell ya?

15. magicwrist

What is you point? he can't touch the drop in or else no one will come there.

16. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    Yes, your experience is very much similar to ours. Can't say I was totally surprised. If it happened to us, it could easily happen to other players. It's very unfortunate they don't know how to keep their customers satisfied. Mind you, some are luckier than us.

17. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    I agree with magicwrist. Drop-in is always attractive and economical for many players, including us.

However, we like the choice of renting the court and play with the company we have. Surely, this is not a wrong thing to do for group fun and exercise. Comes to think of it, this is how the owner started the idea by booking school gym and eventually forming Agincourt (quoted from Chinese TV interview). During this process, we are sure the owner must have gone through a lot of pain, hardship and frustration to get this place established.

So why stop there? Isn't the whole purpose of Agincourt is for us / public to play badminton and enjoy ourselves?
    Once you have taken out fun from this equation, then we question their good business sense.

18. PopsiclePete

I agree, however I must interject that while it's great to have those facilities as I've been there, the fun disappears when you realize that some of the court aspects are not up to par. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the relative cost factor versus other places, but I think he could do more with less courts.

19. magicwrist

I think he not very good running this type of business. he should look for something with little investment with big and fast return profit. you can't keep rising the fee like that and expect to have customs to return. I for sure not going back there as well as many other people I have know. if he kept doing that, pretty soon you going to see less people going there. I know this doesn't affect drop in member much, but if you rent the court like us, I am sure you will have difference tone. he starting to implement membership fee for certain group and pretty sure it won't be long the drop in member will be singing the same tone. He need to get his act together and reconsider his business model and start treating people fairly and respect every customers walking into that court.

20. PopsiclePete

I'm not saying he's a bad businessman, I am merely saying that he's trying to cram too much into the space he's got. I recognize the more courts you have the more money you make, but you do so at the loss of customer satisfaction.

This industry, especially in Toronto is price sensitive to the point where if a better product is offered at lower cost, holding all variables constant, people will switch. Right now, he's got most of his clients from the price, but if he goes too high, his facilities don't necessarily match the cost for us.

I've spoken to him on a few occasion that I've been there and he does seem like a genuinely nice guy though