Racket abuse warning?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Jason123, Apr 4, 2012.

1. krysser

krysser Regular Member

Well not the best umpire in that situation, and just think this umpire is today referee at the big tournaments.
    One could wunder about this :confused:

2. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

I'm a young player, but the behaviour shown by this player is uncalled for!
    I think a player should accept defeat and not kill their rackets to death.

The situation for Lin Dan, even though the quality of the video wasn't the best, I clearly saw that the shuttle landed out and it is the line judge's fault... I think Lin Dan shouldn't have reacted like that, I agree I would definitely feel really annoyed but I think he should have just tried to play the next point and go on from there.

Lee Hyun Il player well, as the score was 21-4 21-23 21-23

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Calmness goes with experience. ;)

4. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

Ive been pissed off a few times, and the only reason i didnt smash my racket is because I wouldnt be able to afford a new one XD

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Hmmm, try this next time you get frustrated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi-CgSO9Evw
    Self-abuse is cheaper than racket abuse. :(

6. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

lmfao that was well funny, he must have hit his head with the frame :S

7. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Sorry to revive the thread...

But after watching some more badminton matches I've noticed a few things about "racket abuse warnings". From here, it seems that you guys seem to agree that if a person loses his/her cool during the match, you would give him/her a warning. Example, hitting a racket on the floor.

Would you guys give a fault to players that toss their rackets in the air? I mean to me, if you're going to give a card to someone for taking a swipe at the air, you might as well give cards to racket tossing in the air, yelling to pent out frustration. Example, I think it was Indonesia Open MD finals where Mogensen took a viscous swipe at the air and was rewarded with a yellow card. His done it at the China open against the same pair and nothing happened. I've seen FHF toss his racket up in the air because the strings broke and he missed a shot and no card. Same goes with Boe when he tossed up his racket too because he missed a shot at the net. Do you guys view this at unsportsmanlike? Because I don't think so... I think the players such want a way to vent out their frustration. I mean if this is considered unsportsmanlike, you might as well fault Fischer for running his victory lap up to the net and staring down his opponents for every point his won. Not only that, what about him running up to the net and pointing and shouting at his opponents? I saw this against Zhao/Zhang in the Denmark open. And I am pretty sure his done that a lot more to other opponents as well. Sure that is his "intensity" but to me, its pretty disrespectful to run up to stare them down AND point at them while yelling something that they don't understand.

Anyhow, I agree that racket abuse, meaning destruction of a racket, should not be tolerated as THAT to me is unsportsmanlike.

Cheers!

8. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Tossing a racket up and even catching it, should warrant at least a verbal warning the 1st time. Not all umpires will give a verbal warning for it, but they should.

9. uselessmail

uselessmail Regular Member

Wow! I was just wondering if it would've been the same if some lower ranked opponent was playing against LD or LCW, for that matter. Would he also have been punished with just a yellow card. It seems quite obvious to me that this action should heve resulted in immediate eviction of the player and a forfeit. N this coming from a die hard LD fan!!

I am not gonna try to justify LD's action here. I mean, if I would've been in that situation (wishful thinking here;)) I would've probably done the same or even worse! But it doesn't absolve one of the fact that it was a mistake which warranted a much stricter penalty.
    For the unheralded players out there... Life sure is unfair!!:(

10. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

Huh?? What's next, warning for staring at the opponent?

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I think many BCers have not thought deep enough the reasons why law-makers at BWF make certain laws.

When tossing a racket high up in the air, it could;
    * cause accident to players, umpires, line-judges and even spectators if thrown up without due care.
    * cause damage to the ceiling, light-fittings, etc, etc, ...

When banging one's racket on the floor, nobody cares if one damages one's own racket; But tournament organisers wouldn't want their floor and/or their court-mat to be damaged.

These are just some reasons why laws are made.

When BWF make the laws, don't expect them to explain why. Otherwise, our laws/rules book would run into thousands of pages.

Also, laws are usually recommended by experienced/long-time officials who have witnessed bad accidents/damages that have happened in the past.

12. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

I agree, but I am talking about just tossing a racket up. Not throwing it wildly with no aim. If any player has done what you've described, or what the bwf considers as a law, by all means, I think the player should be suspended or even a card. Although, to be, wouldn't throwing rackets and shoes be considered hazardous to players as well? Why don't they enforce that then? Actually that would be really funny to see :p Imagine LD rewarded with a suspension after celebrating a win against LCW cause he threw his shoes into the crowd haha.
    Anyhow, I just don't see how a swipe to the air should be rewarded with a card, yet a toss of a racket in the air not hitting the ceiling, maybe just 2 meters in the air gets nothing. To me it's the same thing lol

My point is, a simple racket toss up in the air or a swipe at

13. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

They do that cause it feels unsportsmanlike and they do not present themselves as a role model that way. Players on the court must act responsible and like a role model to others. You do not want to see your role model getting upset and breaking things on court.

Yes, throwing up the racket does push it, but these are the rules that we have to enforce as umpires. And throwing up the racket can be dangerous if one fails to catch it or what not.

And you can get a warning for fist pumping while staring at your opponent ;)

14. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Fist pump? Yep, like what Jongjit/Issara did to Ko/Yoo several times in the 2012 India Open md finals. ;)