Are you flat-footed?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Sep 12, 2003.

?

Are you flat-footed?

1. Yes.

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ileong20

ileong20 New Member

p h o t o g r a p h e r
    I am definitely flat footed. And I have been using insoles for regular shoes, but somehow never with my badminton shoes. Lately, I have noticed that my right heel hurts a lot. I have read that it's heel spur. I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I have flat feet. Do you guys who have flat feet suffers from lower back pain and knee pain? Now that I turn 30 all these pain shows up?! Maybe it's my imagination. Hahah!

2. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    heel pain is unlikely due to flat feet because it affects the arch not the heel. It may be a lack of cushioning in the heel area.

3. ileong20

ileong20 New Member

p h o t o g r a p h e r
    it seems like my heel pain started since i wore my new shoe. i must admit that i went to get a pair of adidas indoor sneaker because it looks good... but do you think the cushioning was that bad compare to a pair of yonex?!

4. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    If you got the adidas indoor soccer shoes then that was a bad decision.

5. leachimeewg

leachimeewg Regular Member

I'm flat footed too.. I run a pretty good on the 100m sprint.. lol

6. Sharp

Sharp Regular Member

I'm in a similar position! Hitting 30 end of March (and quite happy about it, don't know why!) but recently I have also been suffering from pains in my heels and sometimes knees and lower back.

I've been flat footed all my life (size 12s as well, so quite a big flat!) and only recently have I started to feel the strain. As it happens I'm very quick around the court and also very noisy as well, but my initial movement would be so much better and I'd use far less energy if I was able to dial this out.

I fear it will be stuck with me for good though!

7. BBQ_Fishball

BBQ_Fishball Regular Member

hmm...I am flat foot, may be that's the reason my big toe is hurting after playing too much badminton?

8. yingchai

yingchai Regular Member

consultant
    hey...it also happens to me too. My toes get hurt each time after playing badminton. But once I switched to Mizuno shoes (those for flat footed type) my toe problem began to ease slowly.

9. BBQ_Fishball

BBQ_Fishball Regular Member

Which Mizuno shoes? do you have the model code/name?

10. Ruth-Less

Ruth-Less Regular Member

Student
    The way to cure it is to walk straight, sleep straight, sit up straight, and do everything with your back straight. The many reasons why people are flat-footed is because their feet carry too much weight. Needless to say, your feet will squash up into a pancake if you put too much pressure on it. It really affects your performance in badminton if you're flat-footed, not that a flat-footed person would be bad at it but after training or a match they will find that their feet ache. When I was a novice at badminton, I feet were swollen during my first week. XD

11. tanta58

tanta58 Regular Member

:eek::eek::eek: R u serious......i tod tat ppl r flat feet,becoz dey r born flat feeted:p i've nvr heard of dis reason b4 :rolleyes: Quite intresting thx :):D:D

12. Ruth-Less

Ruth-Less Regular Member

Student
    You're welcome. :) Plus, if you walk with your toes supporting you, that would prevent future back-problems like Athritis. Be sure to walk in a straight line and keep your back arched. :)

13. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

I heard the Chinese team pick youngsters with arched feet from like age 3-5 and start training then. One of the commentators mentioned it so I don't know.

14. BennyC

BennyC Regular Member

N/A
    I'm flat footed as well and i had these pains near my ankles, probabaly frm all the pressure when i lunge but in anycase, after playing..i'll hurt for a while.

My solution:

After consulting Sir Dinkalots review on Superfeet i thought id give it a try ( green performance ones) and after 3 sessions, my pain was no more. I believe not only does there insole work wonders but because it has a stiff arch, it forces my feet to arch a little while im playing which makes me balance better and not put as much pressure on my feet.

Superfeet was a miracle for me =)

15. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Well... this should help ending the disputes xD... Sorry if this is another duplicate response... Right now I don't have the time to read through all of those 15 pages xD...

16. Ruth-Less

Ruth-Less Regular Member

Student
    Ooh, I did a program similar to that, it was called "Good-Arch."

17. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    you guys do know if u are flat footed u can actually fix it.
    its not too diffuclt to restructure or rebuild the arch of your foot. its like getting your muscles bigger and reshaping your body..just takes time and effort.

#1 get shoes for everyday where which have fantastic arch support or get orthodics from your doctors. (orthodics are inserts which give you big arch support for your shoes)

#2 if you are using any shoes without good arch support purchase orthodics so that there is never a time when you will have no arch support except for thongs sandles etc.

#3 do various excersises such as.....get aphone book..lay it flat and stand on the edge of it so its kind of curling under the arch of your foot. and curl your foot as much as u can and hold for up to a minute at a time...do this for 10 minutes each night...overtime your arch will reshape...

but i must warn u it is quite a painful process. and does take a long time..but its worth it in the end....flat feet are very bad for you in lots of different ways...and in badminton it will not help you 1 bit.

18. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    41+% of the voters in BC are flat-footed? Well... this does not necessarily mean 41% of badminton players are flat-footed. It just starts the suspicion that many of the flat-footed people are members of BC who mainly just comment/argue/analyze badminton instead of becoming top-notch badminton players in the courts. :D

19. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    The main question for all flat feet people. Is your flat feet structural or functional?

Structural - the angles of the bones in the feet are lower than what it should be
    Functional - something else other than bone such as soft tissue causing the arch not to appear.

My flat feet are functional.

20. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    Custom Insoles

I don't think a flat foot can be cured. I'm born flat footed and it has been like that even after i tried various types of orthotics.

[​IMG]

Recently somebody told me about custom orthotics so I pay a visit to the mentioned 'foot' shop. They measured size and width. Mine was size 11.5 (US) and 4E width. Is there any 4E wide court shoes available? :crying: There are also a foot scanner (the results as attached, I was standing more to my left though :) both are the same actually) to check for load distribution and a digitizer to take the foot shape. Later they'll put it in a software which will come out with the insole design that you need for your foot. The insoles are not those sold in the market but it will be custom made to suit your feet. You can also choose the material you prefer. The insoles can last up to 5 years of constant use according to the shop's orthotics expert.

I haven't got mine yet as it takes about a week to make the insole, maybe this Thursday it will be ready. Can't wait to try it.

So far it is the best thing I can do to solve my foot problems. It costs me close to the price of an ARC 10 but I think it is going to be worthwhile...

#260 green.blood, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009