start as i mean to go on

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ruffdog64, Aug 23, 2012.

1. ruffdog64

ruffdog64 Regular Member

Carpenter
    I`ve recently taken up playing and got myself a carlton ignite speed racket , it feels nice and i know i`ve a lot to learn technique wise but my thinking is should i get a stiffer racket now so i`m getting used it from the begining? I`d be interested in peoples opinions who have been in a similar position , many thanks Harvey:)

2. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I can understand your point but you're missing something pretty important. If you play with an extra stiff racket you won't get very much power out of it at all which causes 2 issues. 1. You probably won't be playing at the best you could be so if you want to play competitively you won't really be able to get as great results as you might like. 2. This is the big one. You might strain your muscles trying to get power out of a stiffer racket and then cause an injury in your arm. If that happens then you very well could not even get to the level you want to and that's really the worst (and realistic) outcome you could get. This is all assuming you aren't used to a stiff racket which from your post I'll assume you aren't.

3. ruffdog64

ruffdog64 Regular Member

Carpenter
    Thanks decoy, the racket i use at the moment is a medium flex, my arm strength is fairly high which was why i thinking of a stiffer one

4. Snowcrash

Snowcrash Regular Member

Similiar situation. Wanting to get a stiffer racket, but end up my arms hurts when testing one that belong to my friend. So i still using my nanospeed 100.

5. decoy

decoy Regular Member

. If you want to know for sure the only real way would be to try one out and see if you can handle it, surely some of your friends must have something stiff that you could try out.

6. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I went from a even balanced med-flex to a head heavy stiff racket. There were some soreness issues and period of adjustment. Maybe 1-2 months of pain and 1-2 weeks getting the timing right. But I can use a head heavy stiff racket now (ie. VT-ZF) and actually prefer it as I feel I get better accuracy with it and better smash power (as indicated by my friends/opponents).

No lie...your game will go down a notch while you work through it. But you got to start somewhere. The question to ask when the pain goes away and adjustment period is over...did your game actually improve? If not...then maybe stiff rackets don't suit you.

But remember...technique trumps racket.

7. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    nano100 is an excellent racket for the price. i have a friend playing in advance level competition in college with it and stuck with it for a while till she moved on to another nanospeed.