Lee Chong Wei vs Lin Dan at WC 2011

Discussion in 'World Championships 2011' started by george@chongwei, Aug 12, 2011.

?

Who will be the Men's Single Champion for 2011?

1. Lee Chong Wei

100.0%
  2. Lin Dan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. visor

visor Regular Member

Very true. And sad. Sad because... really he lost to himself. ... That was not LD's best form by far and LCW has been playing better over the past few days than he did today. Sad...because it was his to lose.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Congratulations to Lin Dan. I have not yet even seen the video of the finals, but from what I gather, it was totally nail-biting! :D He must have shown tremendous spirit and character to emerge victorious! :)

Why did LCW lose? As I said, I have not seen it, so I cannot really say. A guess? Mental weakness at crucial moments? Insufficient strategic planning by his team as opposed to tactical preparedness? I don't know, but that is proably one area. What I do know is that LCW has reached a point in his profession where he is the better player but he still has this mental achilles heel against Lin Dan. Coaching and training may not be the answer to this one. Maybe only a friend can provide that.

3. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

It's just a thought...but, bad guys wins and good guys finish last?:D Or the supposedly bad guys are really just that much better than the civil ones?:confused:

4. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

i think you're being a bit harsh

after all, he delivered at the 2011 AE didn't he?

I don't think LCW bottled it on this occasion (like he has in the past) he's not afraid of LD anymore and his win over LD in the AE 2011 final is proof of this.

I think today, there should be less criticism of LCW and more credit to LD.

LCW played as well as he could - overall he wasn't overly aggressive - it was LD's fighting spirit and champion mindset that prevailed.

i mean, let's not take this out of context - this match was truly 50-50 until the very last point. It was 23-21 in the rubber!! Because of the very nature of sport, someone had to win it... but in this match, both played like champions. Reminds me of the epic Wimbledon 2008 final between Nadal v Federer - there were no losers in that match - both were winners :D

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I think the world's supply of sugar is becoming dangerously low :D ...

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    LCW interview after the match. someone please translate:

[video=youtube;KT6qCVnAqSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT6qCVnAqSI[/video]

7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

OH boy, I am so proud of you LD. I will never doubt you again! Thank you for bringing yet another magical moment. You are the BEST!!!! :D

8. sen

sen Regular Member

It is not ALWAYS go one way. But I think in the last few points, Lin Dan shows that he is someone who can play well under pressure no matter what the points stand at.

In Singapore SS, Lin Dan also did that against Simon.

LCW also played well right up to the end. He put in higher gear even though it was a long match but Lin Dan also put in higher gear. Awesome display of fitness by both of them.

LCW and Peter Gade are nice guys and many fans want them to win World Championship but I think for badminton fans, some legendary players, even though they never win certain titles, will still be legend.

There is still Olympic next year so I would not say ALWAYS

9. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I am suprised I didn't see this thread sooner. Definetly the most exciting match of the day, and possibly the greatest encounter between these two players.:)

Lin Dan once again showed he is more than capable of winning the big titles, Lee I think was unlucky, he made far to many unforced errors, which in the end cost him the match. His ability to handle the big points was tested, and it's clear he still doesn't have the mental strength to take victory.

Game 1, LCW controlled. He had the pace, and looked up for it. Great defence and a trick shot gave him a commanding advantage, and eventually it was 20-16, but then the fact that Lin got it back to 20-20 showed that, Lee didn't have the ability to put it away. Lee took the first game 22-20.

Game 2, Lee came out nervous, and after a while he was 11-10 down. After the interval Lin extended his lead, 18-12 was the advantage. As the game progressed, Lin looked more and more like the Lin Dan of old in the sense that he was aggresive. Lee closed slightly but Lin took it.

Game 3, I think many thought that Lee had more stamina and therefore would win the final game easy. It wasn't the case. Lin found another gear, Lee also upped his game, but kept some unforced errors in his game. At 19-19 Lin missed a simple kill (probably saw a finish) giving Lee a game point and a sight of the finishing line. A small celebration from Lee proved to be premature. Lee squandered another game point, and when Lin had his opportunity he took it first time. This is where the problem lies in Lee's game, he didn't have the ability to finish the match. It was almost as if Lin was teasing him with the game points. Then cruely taking them away from him.

I am dissapointed for Lee, but really happy for Lin Dan.:) there surely now can be no arguments about his status as the best badminton player ever.:)

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Lin Dan - Forever the Enigma

i talked about LCW. now a bit about LD.

how many of us here have discounted LD this WC? i have. in no polls or PAWs or prediction have i thought he could win this. afterall, we are seeing a very strong LCW and a LD whose performance is well below par (to LD's own standard) in the past few months, not really into a match, throw a match, losing to lower ranked players (Sasaki). we thought he is over the hill, not motivated, won enough, etc, etc. after what he pulled out in OG2008, we think he has peaked, and getting old. we talk about the LD of yesteryears, and worry about LD's stamina.

but after this i think we have all been proven wrong. or more appropriately, LD has proven to all his critics how wrong they are.

today LD played like a champion again, the LD that we used to love and use to love watching. the speed, power and focus.

LD so far that i can tell, not unlike the video games cartoon characters, run in 3 modes.

there is the very rare god mode, god mode is what we saw in OG2008, when LD is in god mode, just be sorry that you are standing on the other end of the net as him. he will at super unhuman speed kill off everything that he sees instantly. you net shot 2 inch from the net? kill. block not good quality? kill. lift? kill. smash, kill. anthing you are dead. LCW experienced this in the OG final.

there is the screwaround mode. screwaround mode is what we have been seeing all year. slow LD who don't smash everything, rally around, drops, clears, net, make a dive here and there. you know, the LD that always seems to be late and the one that seems that he is not putting in 100%, in fact, maybe 50% effort. the ones that made him look slow and old, and the ones that made him lose to Sho. no body language, and no passion.

and then there is turbo mode. turbo mode is what LD used to do on every match. the earlier AE finals, the pre-olympics matches. LD is the fast, sharp, powerful LD that earned him the nickname SuperDan. he will play patient fast positioning shots, then when he sees the opportunity, goes into superfast mode and leap 3 feet into the air and attack. the focus and determination, and the LD that keeps composure despite being in the most pressuring and tense of circumstances, never losing his nerves for a point or two. the versatile and dynamic LD, a super spectacle to watch. turbo mode LD is what we used to love about him.

but recently he has been hiding turbo mode. he just happy to use screwaround mode all the time. doubters wondered if it is because he can no longer do turbo mode, let alone god mode. doubters think that he is getting old, he is going downhill.

but we have been proven wrong. today LD, like flicking on a lightswitch went into turbo mode instantly at the beginning of the match, stamping his authority. after the first few rallies, we know we will be treated to the same performance we used to see from him. but then all credits to LCW, the LCW today has managed to keep turbo mode LD at bay for pretty much all of the first game.

LD kept at it in the 2nd and 3rd game, and managed to edge out LCW at the most crucial circumstances.

but what about god mode? we did see LD turn on god mode for a rally or two during the match. but never in constant god mode like OG2008. LD seems to have saved that god mode, or is he no longer able to pull out god mode for an extended amount of time? has the power reserve gone so low that he can no longer pull out god mode? only time will tell. only time will tell if LD will flick on that god mode switch. perhaps it is so special that even LD himself cannot flick it on at will like he can with turbo mode. perhaps he is just playing around with LCW's head, saving up the best for the most special time.

LD will forever keep the rest of the world, and especially his rival guessing, what form is he in, what is he capable of pulling off the next he walks on the green mat. is he really injured? is he getting old? is he in the mood? the world will never know, only he, and perhaps his coaches will be able to see. the rest of the world will never know, we can only guess but he forever keep the rest of us guess throwing out clues that will deceive even the best of analysts. LD will forever be an enigma.

11. mcdogoo

mcdogoo Regular Member

I did feel that the match today was a bit like a drama and LD was the lead actor, LCW unwittingly played into LD's game and followed LD's temper.
    Just a personal feeling while watching from a close distance, sort of anyway.

12. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

are you calling me nobody?

13. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

no, he wouldn't. you can''t win more titles in just 1 appearance in final.

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

I think it is clever of Lin Dan to say he isn't bothered about winning this title. It diverts pressure from him, and puts it straight onto LCW. Furthermore LCW's demolition of everyone else in the tournament puts further pressure on LCW. You coils tell the pressure was really affecting him when he had match point, whereas LD looked calm and collected. I suppose he has done it before and knows what to expect.

Anyway great final, and a deserving champion.

Will LCW become like Morten Frost and join some of the greatest players never to win an World Championships (in saying this Lee had more opportunities to win the WC than Morten)

15. dassad

dassad Regular Member

developer
    great words buddy

16. yujianji

yujianji Regular Member

very well said! Felt the same thing.

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Like I said. First to 18 wins. and Lin Dan takes the 18th first. You want to bet, come and ask me. lol. ;)

Well done again to Lin Dan. LCW is still having that mental block problem. Like MF said. Too passive. ;)

18. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Ungh, you guys are making me vomit.

19. feather_guy

feather_guy Regular Member

If I remember correctly, the first few rallies of the match were quick ones that ended in LD's net shots going out. :p

20. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

i'm so happy LD won but so sad LCW lost. For some reason I just think LD will always be the favourite when playing LCW. Maybe there's a tiny bit of mental block for LCW when playing LD. But LCW has come a loooong way since 2008 Olympics. This match really could've went either way and in that sense both players deserves accolades. Now really looking forward to their 2012 Olympics matchup!!!