New Victor Racquet - The Meteor X80 ( MX80 )

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sealman, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I had a "0.67 String Shootout" on my MX80s. I posted it somewhere.....maybe on this thread.

Anyway, to summarise, I tried ZM67, BG80, BG80P, and VS850. All on a pair of MX80s at the same tension.

ZM67 - New kid on the block, good combo of feel and power, slight edge towards repulsion. Red colour looks awesome.
    BG80 - The classic all-rounder. Doesn't do anything badly. People complain about durability but I've never had any problems.
    BG80P - Not sure where the power is, but there is none at this tension. I think this string would add durability for high tensions users and probably be great at 30+lbs, but I couldn't be bothered finding out.
    VS850 - Seductive feel in the front court, very tactile string. Great all-rounder with slight bias towards tactical game. Loses tension easily so needs a good stringer.

2. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    I think you're right about this. Also think the woven frame adds to the crazy overall stiffness which adds to the feel of everything being 'tighter'. I think this is why I liked my 80's a few grams lighter than my other rackets and a couple pounds less tension.

3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So by .67 string shootout you mean .68 string shootout with the ZM67 added.... :D
    Anyhow, I can only agree with you on the BG80. Very nice, powerful string with reasonable durability...most people complaining about it couldn't find a racket's sweetspot to save their live, let alone hit it consistently.

4. meteor

meteor Regular Member

The stringing was done by the shop I purchased from. The other rackets were done by different stringers and shops. To be fair I dont know much about stringing patterns - when i got my ZS I was going to call the shop to check if they messed up something because I could swear there were a couple of rows missing at the bottom of the frame :)

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I think the woven component basically enhances (a lot! :D) the stability of the frame, but the stiffness (or lack of) is down to other components like nanotubes and stuff like that... I think... maybe.... IMO.... possibly........

6. visor

visor Regular Member

i have both mx70 and mx80, and i can easily say that the incredible accuracy and extra stiff feel of the shuttle is what differentiates the mx80 from the mx70, all due to the extra stiff shaft on the mx80

the slightly flexier mx70 is less accurate, but is more powerful and more forgiving

all the difference is just a slight difference in shaft stiffness :)

7. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I had a first good club session last night with the mx80 and it all went very well. I love the stiffness and accuracy. Power can be phenomenal too.
    My only slight dissapointment is the head heaviness - it is more than I expected. I got some arm pain for a while during the evening. I will add an extra pu grip to bring BP lower.

It took some time to adapt to it, not the kind of racket that impresses immediately like the vt80. I can see it has great potential and look forward to explore that in the next sessions. I'll let you know how it goes.

8. visor

visor Regular Member

you got arm pain with mx80 bp295 but not vt80 bp305? :huh:

9. visor

visor Regular Member

so, are you gonna switch to zm67, or perhaps check out the zm65 when it's out :D

10. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Well, the plan is to try the ZM67 on a couple of rackets that I've never had on before, and put ZM62 on....something......and the BG66U on.......I have no idea. :)

Maybe the BG66U on the BS10, and ZM62 in the BS11.......ZM67 on the C7 because I already know it works super nice with VS850 and red strings on it would look sick.

11. amirx2

amirx2 Regular Member

Chemist
    guys, did ur mx80 with counterfeit proof sticker? according to victor official website, if the sticker logo expand, is it genuine or fake racket? confusing. thank you for ur explaination in advance.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

sorry can't help you, the hologram sticker was on the handle wrapper which i discarded after unwrapping

13. amirx2

amirx2 Regular Member

Chemist
    yerp. on the handle wrapper. visor, ur butt cap have taiwan instead of V logo? what coded at the shaft? taiwan? china? mine is made in taiwan, TWF. one more, i scan the QF code, stated 13411 follow by same serial number as crafted at racket shaft.

14. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Also can't help, but I purchased from the Singapore distributor so I doubt there is anything fake about it. If you have bought from a reliable source, then there shouldn't be a problem...

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

TWF actually means it's made in factory F (wherever that is) and was destined for TW market.

16. meteor

meteor Regular Member

On the VT80 I have the original grip + grap + Yonex PU grip BP is 283
    On MX I had only one grap on top of the original grip BP was 292

Now I regripped the MX80 wih another Karakal PU grip on top of the grap, BP is now 279

Having said that, I DO get arm pain when I play with the VT80, I get it with ZS too sometimes.
    When I played with the MX I was trying to hit really hard so that plus high BP combined made my arm hurt. :) Cheers!

17. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

meteor,

where about on your arm does it hurt?

18. meteor

meteor Regular Member

The whole upper arm hurts but I think the pain focuses mainly on the inner side of the arm around the elbow area or just above it.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Perhaps the vibration/lack of dampening is the cause? I know the feeling (everything in my 'hitting apparatus' i.e. arm, shoulder, back) hurt at one point in the last year, and the elbow area is typically painful when the tension is too high or the racket is not dampened as much as the usual choice. Too heavy/head heavy racket normally results in shoulder/back pain or rather soreness for me, although that might be different for others depending on the hitting motion.
    Did you mishit more than usual with the MX?

20. meteor

meteor Regular Member

I don't mishit with the MX - so far managed some huge smashes, this is actually great because I had lots of problems with the ZS and still have. I had little time with the mx but has been very impressive.

Did you mean you get elbow pain when your string tension is high?
    I just restrung both the ZS and MX with bg80@26lbs :)

What can be done to dampen the vibrations on the racket?