Wong Tat Meng: Professional Badminton Coach

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Feb 17, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Wong Tat Meng: Professional Badminton Coach

It is heard that Coach Wong Tat Meng (from Malaysia) is going to move to Indonesia to coach (as from 01-March-2011).

IMHO, Wong Tat Meng is a world class coach, helping many MAS girls to perform well at tournaments.

What do BCers think of his leaving Malaysia to move to Indonesia?

2. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    For PBSI it was a good move. So they would have Li Mao to concentrate on Men Team and Wong Tat Meng to concentrate on Women department. I would think that the move of WTM will have a huge impact on the improvement of Indonesia Woman doubles, as CEH/WPT is superb, they can beat China.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Rexy and Wong Tat Meng are good friends

:D:D:D Strange isn't it?

Rexy moved to Malaysia to coach the MAS Mens Doubles. Now Wong Tat Meng is moving to Indonesia to coach the INA Womens.

BTW, Rexy and Wong Tat Meng are good friends. :):):)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    maybe the old saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" has some weight to it.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Because there's already a new lady who will be in charge of his place. Not sure her name but she's guiding together Wong Mew Choo together with WTM during Mas Open though.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Because there's already a new lady who will be in charge of his place

Didn't know that. :eek::eek::eek:

Wong Mew Choo only returned to coach Wong Tat Meng 6 months ago (September 2010).

Here is an article from nst.com.my;

====== * ====== parts of article ====== * ======

But Mew Choo's reunion with her former coach Wong Tat Meng since September, has turned her fortunes around.

The World No 20 rediscovered her confidence by winning two silver medals at the New Delhi Commonwealth Games.

And now, she hopes to maintain her good performance in Guangzhou under Tat Meng, who coincidentally, helped her win the 2007 China Open, also in Guangzhou.

"My skills and footwork have improved under Tat Meng. I am more confident with my footwork as the new techniques help me avoid knee pains during matches," said Mew Choo at the Tianhe Gymnasium in Guangzhou yesterday.

"I did not take long to adjust to Tat Meng's training style as I was under him before. I am quite comfortable with him. Previously, my fitness was good but not my skills."

Mew Choo, who was previously coached by Misbun Sidek, is now eyeing a medal in her third Asian Games appearance.

====== * ====== * ====== * ====== * ======

Read more: Asian Games: Mew Choo revitalised http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/opsvoijoizbf/Article#ixzz1EMzOyfGk

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2007 China Open: Wong Mew Choo won with coach Wong Tat Meng

Talking about the 2007 China Open, when Wong Mew Choo won with coach Wong Tat Meng; WMC overcame one Chinese player after another to bag her first ever-Open title.

WMC defeated;

* 2007 World Champion Zhu Lin (at the Quarter-finals)
    * 2004 Athens Olympic Games Winner Zhang Ning (at the Semi-finals)
    * 2007 World No.1 Xie Xingfang (at the Finals)

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Now with WTM 'gone', will Mew Choo be able to pick up the pieces and continue with her recovery on the road to success?

It is most unfortunate that this should happen at a crucial time when Mew Choo is regaining her confidence and has learned how not to overwork her body and limbs and to avoid injury. Surely, like all athletes, MC wants to have a crack at London Olmpics 2012 and nobody should discount her ability as she had demonstrated in China Open 2007 when she destroyed China's best women players under coach WTM.

Another blow to MAS, coming soon after the MS/BAM saga that will have an adverse impact on LCW and MAS' aspirations for an Olympic badminton gold.

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Will Mew Choo be able to pick up the pieces and continue with her recovery......

It is not impossible. :):):) Hope that Wong Mew Choo will keep injury free.

Wong Mew Choo will be 29 at the 2012 London Olympic Games. Zhang Ning was 31 when she won at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.

10. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

In my honest opinion, WTM was one of the best coaches in the BAM setup. He is the one who assist LM and lead Loh WS all the way to the semifinal of the Youth Olympics 2011. Have Loh not injured his ankle during his match against Prisit, the match could have gone either way as Loh was the only boy who took a set off Prisit in the entire tourney(with a bad ankle).

The departure of WTM once again give us an indication on how comfortable it is to work with the current CTC in BAM. Can't blame him really, if I see only one of my charges, who is WMC, out of 10+, (wonder why CTC did not put more coach in Women department) got the chance to participate in oversea tournmanets. I would have seriously consider leaving the coaching setup as well.

All credit to BAM CTC's brilliant management. They deserved all the credit for driving all the capable coaches like Morten, PJB, LM, MS and etc out of their setup.

11. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Till today there is no news in Malaysia press on wtm's resignation :eek:

really don't know what's happening:D

to leave bam after all these years must be some hard decision :eek:

12. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach

I just got a confirmation from one of bam coaches that it is really true Wong tat meng has resigned for pbsi :eek:

But why no news from the press, this is very funny ...:D

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Factual error ,the CTC was set up less than a year ago, previously coaches reported to no one.The CTC is a committee set up by the BAM.

WTM may have left because of better opportunities or maybe he was going to get expat pay of more than 20K.

14. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

CTC was set up as early as 2003(possibly way before that). I am not sure how far back your 'previously' refer to. Perhaps you are refering to pre-Wong Choong Han era?

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...a-more-solid-coaching-and-training-committee?

I can understand if WTM was offered a job oversea like Korea/Denmark; no offense to Indonesia, the general concensus is Malaysians will think twice before working in Indonesia and I seriously doubt PBSI can afford to pay USD 20k a month. If PBSI could offer that amount of money, BAM has alot to think about how they could possibly retain their best man in the future. BAM should wake up from their slumber to realize that the old cheap clichés, i.e. 'national interest first' and 'unconditional sacrifice for the nation', no longer works in the modern era, especially when the top management could no longer provide enough for their staffs.

Cheers.

#14 lcleing, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

The clichés 'national interest first' and 'unconditional sacrifice for the nation'

Are those National Associations telling everyone 'national interest first' and/or 'unconditional sacrifice for the nation' really that interested in promoting Badminton to be a great sport? This, I should think not. :p:p:p

IMHO, players are in Badminton because they enjoy playing Badminton. Otherwise, they could take up other sports they find more enjoyable.

I hope BWF will remind National Associations this message (the order of priority);

* Badminton should come first
    * Players be second
    * Nations be third
    ;););)

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

yes you are right, but the old ctc was more of a think-thank and gave advice and recommendations to the chairman.

the new one with a performance director and coach has more teeth and monitors the performance of coaches,leading to MS's unhappiness.

It was set-up after the Thomas Cup.Coaches did not have to report to the CTC previously but to the management.

Previous coaches who left were not unhappy with the old CTC, Frost had a spat with the GM over choice of players, Indra Gunawan with the management (I think) and Li Mao left because his contract was not renewed by the NSC.

It was not sth between coaches and the ctc ,rather with the Management of the BAM .

#16 Bbn, Feb 20, 2011
  17. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

About Msians thinking twice before working in INa, at the moment it may no longer be true , Ina is trying to open up and engage the world,

and friends who have been there say that things are changing. It has happened before say in the 90s but when the economy is under threat

things will revert to the original.

Some local coaches are not making 20K US a month ,it is 20K rm . Used to be 40k rm before it was cut.

I dont know the allocation but the paymasters of BAM are the public and sponsors like Proton which is government owned and

also Maybank another government owned company.

Earning 20k rm a month is about 240k a year, after 7 years it accumulates to rm 1.78 m which is not bad!

I think the Prime Minister of Msia's official pay is about 40K rm.(Pls confirm).

#17 Bbn, Feb 20, 2011
  18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think in Msia and also Indonesia badminton's first priority is to create harmony and unity amongst the people, that would be the prime national interest.It is something like the Olympic spirit.It is also used to promote the country's image overseas.

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

To create harmony and unity amongst the people

That's the problem. :(:(:(

When national interest is placed first (before Badminton), I think Badminton is used as a political tool.

Please don't involve politics with sports. This is just my opinion. :):):)

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I see your viewpoint and that of many others. To me sports is just sth to be enjoyed win or lose.

People support Chelsea or Liverpool and just enjoy football. Just because they dont support msia football doesn't mean they

are not loyal to the country.When the sport goes pro, a little nationalism might be lost.