Why are the Women's doubles players not trying to win?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by Dr.Dino, Jul 31, 2012.

1. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Yes he is notorious because the power of team China allows gives him that option. If you think that if any other country had China's depth you wouldn't see them behave in such a manner you are on crack. In fact, the only good thing I can say about the BWF is that they didn't bring in the line judges from the Korean open to judge these games.

2. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Just because someone steal and cheat, don't assume everyone will steal and cheat. You don't need to be on crack to have more moral here.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I have to agree on this one.

Do not do = have the ability and chance, but choose not to do = Saint
    Can not do = never have such ability and chance, but acting like saint = loser

So, please, the "can not do it" ones should not act like a "do not do it" hero... It's just laughable...

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree that a lot of ppl are hardworking and being honest. However, once your career and job is on the line, a lot of ppl do tend to "bend the rules", especially when you are not clearly violating any written rules.

Sure, it's not a perfect situation, but the world is not perfect to begin with. Have to learn how to survive first, before paint yourself as a saint.

5. thunder.tw

No assumption needed. I've watched enough sports other than where Korea was involved to be pretty dam confident they aren't on any higher moral plane than China is. And I'm certainly not prepared to say that there is some moral defect specific to China at work here. That would be a hell of an assumption to make.

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think it is fair to point out that it is ridicilous that BWF/IOC does not have the slightest selfcritisism in the pressconferences and media-contacts and seems to think "attack is the best defence" and focus averything on blaming the players!!

How can they really expect that players should go out on the court and shoot themself in the head for the sake of "sportsmanship".. What's really the sportmaship of promoting lesser skilled teams to the semi-finals?? I really don't see how BWF/IOC can put a blind eye towards their own failure, in the official statements!

/T

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well said, cannot agree more.

The "big boss" control the entire system, while the "lil guys" can only mind his/her 1 or 2 task. Once everything went well, the "boss" take all the credit for "amazing leadership / decision". Once things going down to toilet, "lil guys" got pushed under the bus, for "moral / discpline"...

#327 LazyBuddy, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  8. mikid

mikid Regular Member

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

The failure of the BWF was not sorting out this culture of "match fixing" with punishments or allowing concedes in the rules before the Olympics came around. I think the Olympic format would have been fine if either of these had been implemented.

10. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    No, you are confusing two completely separate issues. Match fixing and two pairs trying to deliberatley loose a match to get a better chance of facing easier opponents in the next round are different subjects altogether.. I assume you can appreciate the difference.

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

fixing a match is fixing a match no matter who is involved. If BWF had them on a tighter leash through disciplining or allowing before hand then associations would not have had this philosophy.

12. Heong

Heong Regular Member

All in all I still think IOC/BWF crossed the line

They broke all the rules they made themselves by doing this

Especially BWF... they've seen what has happened in their badminton competitions, and they should KNOW that using a group system will attract foul play. But they're putting the blame on the players who simply played to their instructions. They did not say anything or even bring up match fixing prior to the games, otherwise if they countries knew, they wouldn't of did what they did... but they put it down to all the players

But having said that... now the countries know their mistakes and won't repeat it in the next Olympics

13. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Trust me , they will be investigation into their matches as well , and they would be stripped of their medal if they are found to be deemed guilty as well. therefore the 3 other teams in the semis are guarantee a medal ....( come on Canada !!!)

It might not be anything to do with , i.e. LYB ......., Cai/Fu play to their best in their last group game and are draw against their team mates in the QF.. But we will see later on in the MS semi-final if all three Chinese players make it in to that stage.

In addition, those players been disqualified needed a bit of support from the national coach who should speak out (the truth ) in to what happened ....

14. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i was gonna say, LOL

15. TonyWdq

TonyWdq Regular Member

Software
    if a bridge collapses due to bad construction, is it really better to blame the construction workers rather than management?

Ruining an athlete's career is not the solution to a bad system... sigh

16. thunder.tw

Have you actually seen the KOR CHN match?? Those players deserve to be banned based purely on the audacity in how they carried on. Their actions were an insult to the fans of the game. Frankly, I can't believe they were cynical enough about the state of the game to actually believe such a performance wouldn't have consequences. For fcuks sake, even Iranian wrestlers had enough sense to fake illness to avoid opponents from Israel rather than put on a travesty. They should be banned just for being stupid.

17. bodminton

bodminton Regular Member

Assistant Language Teacher - English
    Just my 2 cents on this...

Sure, many athletes in various events in the qualifying rounds will save their energy, if the opponents are genuinely weaker, especially the 100m sprint for example, you don't see Usain Bolt producing a new WR in the heats... they can still qualify by being 2nd or even 3rd etc...

However, I feel in badminton, especially because there are only 2 teams playing in any given match, the only aspiration for any team, should be to win...

In say, a 100m race... even if you come 2nd or 3rd, sure, you haven't won... but then again, you haven't lost, because you beat 5/6 other people...

As for team orders... a team only deserve to win, if all the member have given it their best... so team orders are a big no no for me.

Either way we look at this, and for whatever reasons they did it... it's wrong. :mad:

18. thunder.tw

Anyone who believes this 'we were just resting' nonsense either didn't see the match or is incurably stupid.

Edit: Bodminton, while I quoted you, I'm not arguing with any point you make just with this concept of they were resting and the idiots out there who bought this.

#338 thunder.tw, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  19. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Apparently for OneTB, I have to make my arguments easier for him/her to understand.:p:D If we both agree that there is a burden of proof to say someone is guilty, my argument has always been your anti-LYB\Chinese side hasn't met the burden of proof sufficiently, which coincidentally is probably why the BWF has been unable to respond to your side's repeated request for suspensions, bans, etc for alleged walkovers. Just because I believe someone is innocent until proven guilty doesn't make me a supporter of (LYB, China, Evildoers according to OneTB), I just want good concrete evidence before i pronounce judgement. This WD fiasco has good evidence and confessions, which is why I condemned them for DQ immediately, but that doesn't matter to you because it doesn't fit with your delusion that people who don't support OneTB's opinion love LYB, CHINA, Evildoers.

Now that i know you are the type of person who doesn't need good evidence to find someone guilty and manipulates what people say to fit your own agenda and try to shame them. I think I will place myself back with my Comrades because in reality most people need good evidence to make judgments and you are alone with your misinformed agenda, and that's sad.:eek::eek::eek:

20. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I need time to read slowly what you wrote...one error though, comrade V1Lau, the 'evildoers' are those in this forum who 'oppose' LYB, not love that dude. We are in the same Gang, 6 of us and counting, our brotherhood sign of in blood, we defend Master LYB;)