Convulsion on Court

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by sayakeren, May 10, 2010.

1. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Last week someone at my sports hall had a convulsion (I hope this is the right term; he went unconscious and his body shook heavily, and his veins seemed to enlarge). Fortunately there was a doctor also playing, so he helped him and he got conscious some minutes after that. I saw the doctor laid him on the floor. That's the only thing I could see since he was surrounded by so many people.

Half hour later, he was back sitting peacefully on the bench so I went to him and asked if he's alright. He seemed to be very tired and still a bit "blank" (like still in between his conscience), but he managed to nod to me.

Since it's my first time seeing something like that, it struck me on some importance such as:

1. What was that? What can cause it? The weather was hot and rather humid. Could it be dehydration?
    2. How can we help such a person experiencing this? What can we do for an immediate relief / first aid?

Thanks before for any sharing and/or advices.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

That sounds like a seizure, ie. convulsion.

Usually it develops in childhood due to rapid brain growth or for no reason at all, rarely adulthood unless due to other factors such as stroke, alcohol, head injury, etc.

Severe dehydration or electrolyte imbalance can cause it, as can severe body heat.

Best thing to do is to lay them down, give them space for fresh air, turn them on their side so that they don't choke on vomit. Get someone to call an ambulance. Whatever you do, DO NOT stick anything in their mouth (ie. fingers, spoon, etc) thinking that will prevent them from biting their tongue.

3. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

brain damage from the past can trigger this. epilepsy / seizure / convulsion.
    i've never heard about dehydration playing a part on triggering this though.
    Usually, seizures last about 15seconds to 2 minutes. I've never seen anyone die from having a seizure...

4. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Thanks Visor and Dyrtla. That gives some insight.

@Visor: DO NOT stick anything into their mouth? Can you justify further on this? Because I thought we need to prevent them from biting their tongue by sticking e.g. towel into their mouth?

@Dyrtla: If it commonly lasts for 15-120 seconds and is not life threatening, do you think a first aid / immediate relief on the spot is sufficient, i.e. no need to call an ambulance? Because in Jakarta we cannot expect an ambulance to come immediately due to the heavy traffic...

Btw, I think he's in his mid 20s.

5. raceto21

raceto21 Regular Member

one consideration against placing something inside the mouth of a person with a "fit" or seizure is the risk of aspiration of this material. i also dont enjoy the thought of having my fingers bitten ( it has not happened to me.)
    also, i would like to redirect the idea of it not being life threatening. while it is true most of the time seizures resolve on its own there are people who actually have epilepsy and continue to have seizures. some of these may not be controlled with medicines.
    status epilepticus is seizures of prolonged time or that occurs so frequently that the person has no time to recover. this can lead to death.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

No, don't try to put anything in his mouth as his teeth are clenched very tight and may bite off your fingers.If it lasts for longer than 2 mins (and it occasionally can in severe cases), then that would be a medical emergency as he can suffer permanent brain damage.

7. stanster213

stanster213 Regular Member

Still a student... STRIVE for excellence in everyt
    First Aid...

Hmm.
    To add quickly..

Have any of you taken First-Aid courses and CPR? :D
    It would be very helpful perhaps in a situation like this........
    Perhaps, consider taking one if you haven't yet...
    hehe.

Good luck..

8. visor

visor Regular Member

Well, my last paragraph would be the first aid response to a seizure. Unfortunately, if it is status epilepticus (ie. not stopping), then the situation really needs paramedics/ambulance to establish an intravenous line to control the seizure.

9. stanster213

stanster213 Regular Member

Still a student... STRIVE for excellence in everyt
    Interesting....
    Thanks for the follow up. :D

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It would be quite difficult to stick something in the mouth. Yeah, apart from injury to fingers, even if you did put something in the mouth, you might push the tongue backwards and that would block any breathing for the person!!

First time, fit should be treated carefully especially as cause is unknown.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yes, a little bit...:crying:

12. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Why are you crying, honourable Dr. Cheung? Were not all those lost hours of sleep worth it, knowing that you save lives every day?:)

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Save lives everyday? I think you are mistaken my dear Fidget. Must be somebody else you are thinking of. If I'm not wrong, a certain President will save more lives through public policy. Though many others seem to differ;);)

#13 Cheung, May 11, 2010
    Last edited: May 11, 2010
  14. sayakeren

sayakeren Regular Member

Public Relations
    Thanks all for the enlightenment!

I do now consider of learning first aid and CPR. Seems very crucial, esp. I had had such an experience in front of me :( I hope next time I can react better and more helpful (not that I hope any of such happens around me!) :eek: