Glen Waverley Sat. 7:30-10:00pm Titan Badminton Club

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by ashley, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Frank79

Frank79 Regular Member

well said greg! :D i reckon there must be a way to prevent higher grade players participating in lower grade tournaments - perhaps some sort of player register :cool:. i know it won't be easy to setup but just my 2 cents. if it is an honest mistake and the person doesn't know what grade they should be playing in then it's fine (warning issued), but for season competitors - it is a disgrace to play in a lower grade than what they've been graded as!! of course there are exceptions for new partnerships, etc and i agree with greg. for the benefit of future tournaments and to encourage participation, i would like to see trophy hunters banned!! :p everyone wants to win something but taking pride in winning from a lower grade is just like stealing from a kid. :rolleyes: might as well make your own trophies (cost less and minimal effort)!:D:D

2. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Don't worry, vienb. I will support you. D grade alllllll the wayyyyyyy!!!! :D :D
    Next time you decide to ask Jerry/LokPoh to play D grade, please let me know. I want to take a pic of their looks to post up here. :p :p :p

3. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Why am i being attacked :confused: ... i didnt get a D grade trophy :)
    ... The key is to ask them when they're unaware like what i did to Jerry at that MSAC carpark boongate :D

4. tinned_ham

tinned_ham Regular Member

man you guys are so dodgy... you and your weapons-of-mass-trophy-hunting!

:rolleyes:

5. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    I think after the postings here, Vien will be blacklisted by all tournament organisers this year. B grade and above only for you Vien.

Don't worry Vien next season everyone will have forgotten and you can slide back down to D grade. Come to think of it I suggest we save these couple of messages and send an email to all the tournament organisers at the start of next year's tournaments to remind them of Trophy Hunter Vien.

6. keenweisam

keenweisam Regular Member

I understand that players who enter in competitions usually have ranking points which highlights to the competition organizers the level at which they should be playing. Organizing events is a difficult task to say the least but player attitudes play a part when there are inequalities in draws. I think that it is important to encourage the juniors - what do we achieve for badminton in Australia when we beat the little kiddies in c or d grade? Demoralize them and make them feel victim to beurocracy? We should be setting examples for them to strive to achieve... You don't see members of the national squad coming to a or b grade to get trophies or "teach us a lesson" or prevent us from getting trophies... Anyway just my rant... And voicing my frustrations I guess. They really should accept me for the Vic squad or maybe I really need to work harder...
    Vien and others might continue to trophy hunt and it is hard to stop that. I can't change what they do, only what I do... And I'm only going to push harder and harder to get further with badminton. Ok now I'm rambling... Would like to hear your opinions.
    - Greg

7. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    The ranking points only apply to open grade players to enter enough tournaments. I know that last year some organisers were able to access past performance records and were able to grade some players. Didn't see that this year.

Even when we organise our interclub matches there is a lot of organisation behind the seams but it is easier for us because we know all the levels of the players participating. I guess if the tournament organisers really wish to determine the level of a player they could ask the club organisers where that player plays regularly.

Don't forget the juniors have their own competitions and after a few years you do see them improve. Some are now playing open grade, where only 2 years back we could easily beat them. Badminton Victoria has done quite a bit to get younger players involved in the last couple of years. It will be interesting to see the outcome when those kids get older.

I remember going through the training stage where you want to push yourself to improve. Nowadays I cannot play 4 days a week due to family commitments. So everyone is different and our goals are different. Greg, all the best to you in your pursuit of improvement. BTW I have noticed your upwards improvement over the last couple of months.

8. keenweisam

Yes the juniors have their own comps eg june bevan etc. I think bv and ba have done a good job with the juniors.
    Thanks ash let's hope the squad selectors feel the same lol

9. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Yeap, officially blacklisted from all but ballarat graded tournament :)
    Loke Poh was threatening A grade and above restriction, not because he thinks i'm really strong, but because he wanted to punish me and deprive me of any trophy chances in future :mad: ... He's one guy thats wont forget by next season, my only chance is to form an opposition to his Badminton Victoria Presidentship .. and organise a bloody and violent coup ... badminton rackets will shatter, strings will snap but we will be victorious .. raise your racket if your with me :D

..and correction for all the ladies and shemale's out there typing senselessly about how disgraceful and offensive to their ancestors and gods ... that i trophy hunting in D grade ............ I have not trophy hunted in D grade, the only time i've played D grade was last saturday at the Victorian Graded, and thats because i was teaming up with Shy and we really got beaten in our first game so was force to D grade by a very strong double pair :)

10. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Ashley, is there badminton this Saturday?

11. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Ash and Greg ... keep it short or make it entertaining :)
    People a falling asleep reading your threads :mad:

It seems like you guys poured out your feelings and posted a touching heart felt message .. so i will not make light of it by calling you both .. Big Girls Blouse .. even though i really, really want to .. but i shall not ;)

To answer your question, query, concern, grumpy old men nonsensical rambling :p
    1) Yes Juniors do have their own tournament, and so do geriatrics .. something for you to consider Ash .. Although most juniors are entering in B and A then C and D .. as was seen at the Vic Graded last weekend
    2) Nearly all badminton association in victoria uses the online tournament software to setup game fixtures and maintain records .. and as a registered badminton victoria player, my record are on there for the world to see :)
    3) I am not a trophy hunter, but rather a trophy enthusiast :D
    4) To all other questions and/or concern .. i answer in the traditional American defiant way ...

NUTS!!!

12. Frank79

Frank79 Regular Member

hi vienb, i did not mean to target you. :rolleyes: my post was intended to be for all badminton competitors out there! i know that most people only read and don't contribute to forums. i hope the readers of this forum will be able to understand that trophy hunting is not something to be proud of. i also hope that players will compete in a fair manner in future tournaments and not intentionally lose to get into a lower grade (as displayed in recent tournament - bad sportsmanship :mad:). the problem is, most offenders are normally aware of their efforts and this is not good for the sport. :eek: *sigh*

13. ShyYen

ShyYen Regular Member

BadmintonHolic
    A lot of the blame also lay with the organisers of the events, because at the end of the day, if people can get away with it, they will, thats life. The layout of the event encourage people taking the dive to get into lower grade, why not a pool of group making it harder for people to organise fake results. Plus the organisers dont watch the matches themselves so how do they recognise who are trophy hunters/bad sportsmen unless they have people like Vien posting picture of trophies. Vien Won C grade singles fairly by beating quality opposition (Won the final 30-29) whom they themselves were questionable in that grade (Semi-final opponent had Won C Grade plenty of times).

Basically the badminton community is not that big, but people keep letting people whom won entering same grades countless of times making a bottleneck of D graders whom have to improve to the point of B/C grader to win the event. Shaming the people will be little help, only when the organisers take interest in the people in the lower grades and recognise who are not in their particular grades will things be fairer. Competition aint cheap anymore, least the organisers can do is check all the history of players competition history instead of just believing in what people think their grades are.

14. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Look whos whinging .. Ash, greg, shy and frank ... all newbies to tournament badminton

15. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    Who's a newbie ? :confused: I was playing comps before you upgraded from wooden rackets. I just choose not to play any comps these days. The last real tournament I played in was 2007. The Ballarat comp doesn't really count as I go with you guys as a social event.

I only bag you because it is fun to do so, not to whinge.:D

16. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    I am checking at the moment. Do you know if Thursday is still on ?

17. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    opps .. the rest of that message i typed didnt get posted :D ... got pre-occupy with dinner must have clicked the wrong button :)

Anyway ...

Let me enlighten those "whingers" :p
    There have always been strong player/team in every tournament that i can remember... but these strong players/team will always move on either willingly or force to by the organisers eg. Me :D

If your not winning tournaments .. heres a tip .. improve your game or get a strong double partner :p

18. vienb

vienb Regular Member

Pro Wrestler
    Wait a minute you and shy have been playing badminton longer then i have and shy has had way way more coaching then i have ( me ,3 session in total and Shy 3 or 4 different coaches and counting ;)) .. so why are you guys still playing D and C and I'm force up to A ... sounds like 2 trophy hunters trying to deflect attention to innocent me :)

19. ashley

ashley Regular Member

Business Owner
    I don't play D or C grade. I only played C grade in Ballarat because of my partner (who was a beginner). Apart from playing C grade mixed doubles in Ballarat I have only ever played A and B grade.

You attract attention to yourself Vien, because you go out of your way to play the lower grades.:crying:

20. keenweisam

Ok I'm going to remove myself from this conversation.
    signing off.
    =-Greg