Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The coach who mentored Saina’s early progress is no more

The Indian Express
    Posted: Thu Aug 11 2011, 01:24 hrs Mumbai

Full story: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/The-coach-who-mentored-Saina-s-early-progress-is-no-more/830218/

Excerpts:

He was known to lecture Saina Nehwal to not expend too much energy, and urging her to increase her repertoire of strokes, but Mir Mahboob Ali — one of the shuttler’s earliest coaches who passed away in Hyderabad last week — will be best remembered for convincing her to make one of the most important dietary alterations of her life.

Hailing from a strict vegetarian family, Nehwal was patiently goaded by Ali to start her meat intake and other non-vegetarian fare, to help supplement her dietary requirements in her early years.

“He ensured she had strong nourishment in the most crucial years alongside training her in the on-court techniques,” Nehwal’s father Dr Harvir Singh recalls.

“Without any ego, Ali would painstakingly help her practice the same routine by hitting with her. It was like private tuitions, while what she learnt at LB was like the main school,” Harvir recalls, paying tributes to the little-known former coach who never hunted glory even as Nehwal rose in repute.

Another shuttler who trained at times under Ali was India’s doubles star Jwala Gutta. “I was training mainly under Arif but would go to Mir Mahboob Ali when Arif was not around.”

“He was the one who changed my receiving stance and that was important for my career. The small things always helped. One thing that he never forgot was to feed us biryani and aamras during Id,” Gutta recalls.

2. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

an update, another defeat in BIG events QF:

2008 OLY to Maria Kristin Yulianti
    2009 WC to Wang Lin
    2010 WC to Wang Shixian
    2011 WC to Wang Xin.

head-to-head to her scared to death Chinese rivals;

Saina NEHWAL 0-2 WANG Yihan
    Saina NEHWAL 1-4 WANG Xin
    Saina NEHWAL 0-3 JIANG Yanjiao
    Saina NEHWAL 1-1 WANG Shixian.

now, someone must be afraid, really afraid.

3. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Saina is a threat to the Chinese but to say she has beaten them consistently is simply not true as you've pointed out. She could knock out any one of the CHN WS but not all three consecutively should that be the draw. Unfortunately, it's also true that China produces world beaters at the drop of a hat, just look at Li Xuerui,for example, who has beaten Saina a number of times recently.

5. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I believe she hasn't went past an AE QF too...

6. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

she was in the 2010 AE SF, lost to TR

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Everything that's happened with Saina over the past 6-9 months reinforces my belief that she is just not being handled properly. The people who are responsible for her coaching need to take a step back and review their own approach and ask some searching questions.

Its all very well to constantly blame Saina, but her performance is not just about her inputs. Her training, practise, nutrition, rehab, tactical/psychological awareness... all of these are handled by persons who are part of the team. Or supposed to be, in any case. :(
    And this holds true for any top-level pro who wants to be a world-beater.

Her graph showed relatively constant improvement during the time that Atik Jauhari was involved. Subsequent to his leaving, her performances became more and more erratic; the incidence of injuries went up; her fitness, mobility and front-foot abilities saw drastic swings in performance.

She is certainly a fighter, and will give everything she has. But there are many subtle dimensions that are mostly absent. There is a huge lack of imaginative initiative in her game; there is no effort to change things up, or to keep track of the strategic flow of the game. These aspects are completely lacking. In fact, I would go so far as to say that these aspects are lacking to a significant extent in the game of most of the current stock in Indian players.

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina learnt karate as a small kid, got a brown belt, and gave it all up at age 8. Here is what a brown belt girl looks like... now...

7434069.jpg

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Meet the champion: Saina Nehwal
    Wednesday, September 7, 2011
    http://wonderwoman.intoday.in/wonde...eer Woman/meet-the-champion-saina-nehwal.html

Excerpts:

...The living room and the dining space are done up modestly, and her bedroom is almost bare, no shine here. Saina laughs, 'I grew up very modestly. We only live with what's necessary. I don't want to make my room chaotic with things I don't need.'

...Saina is quite the pampered one at home - 'I am the younger of the two siblings, so I was spoilt from the beginning, not just by my parents but by my sister too. She is married now, but when she visits us, I have her make aloo parathas specially - it's not allowed in my diet otherwise.'

...'Saina isn't the most gifted player, but she has worked hard for every tournament that she has won. She got opportunities and she explored them, and she was patient.' Candid assessment from a parent of so talented a child.

...Even today, Saina says that she doesn't have many friends, besides the ones from the fraternity who she plays with - 'and even with them, you really can't be friends, as there's always an element of rivalry and jealousy.' So, who does she turn to for advice? 'I share my emotions with Mom. When I am losing it because I am nervous, or getting depressed when things are not going my way, I speak to her. We play video games and go for movies together when I have time. She is an inspirational person. She was a badminton player too, so we discuss the game, and she gives me tips on how to play an opponent.'

nehwal_090711041109.jpg sania2_090711041109.jpg family_090711041109.jpg

10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina Nehwal aims to get back into top three

Saina Nehwal is determined to put behind the disappointment of losing in the quarter-finals of the World Championships as she readies for the China Masters and Japan Super Series.

Saina said she was confident of a good show at the China Masters, which begins on Wednesday.

"I have not played any tournament since the World Championships (in August). I have been training really hard and feel I can give a good account of myself," she told Mail Today.

Currently ranked fifth in the world, the Hyderabadi said that her main aim was to get back into the top three.

"There are no more major events this year. So my aim is to break into the top three and end the year on a high. The China Masters is one of the toughest tournaments on the circuit because all the Chinese players compete in it," she said.

In the tournament, Saina has an easy draw till the quarterfinals. She opens her campaign against compatriot Aditi Mutatkar.

"She has come through a tough qualifying round. I do not look forward to playing her in the opening round," Saina said.

In the quarter-finals, she is up against world champion Wang Shixian.

"She is one of the most consistent players in the world right now. It is a challenge which I look forward to," she said.

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/saina-nehwal-aims-to-get-back-into-top-three/1/151076.html?cp

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Let's wait and see how she fare in china masters.. Wang Shi Xian is still in the field after the first day:D

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Why the hell did the organizers put this match last?

[TABLE="class: ruler"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]8:50 PM[/TD]
    [TD]WS[/TD]
    [TD="align: right"][TABLE]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD="align: right"]Saina Nehwal [5][/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Aditi Mutatkar
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

To tire Saina?

13. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

when did Wang Shixian became World Champion.???
    i guess the report is about Wang Yihan who will meet Saina in Quarter Finals....

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Something is definitely lacking in the preparation, tranining schedule and strategizing for Saina. She is well on her way to acquiring the tag of "choker" for major tournaments. She did it again at the China Masters, going down tamely to Wang Yihan who was on fire.

Saina can do much better, but there are some ingredients very obviously lacking. Until she and her team or trainers, support staff and managers remain in denial and don't make the effort to step away from the situation and review it (and their role and performance) dispassionately, Saina is probably doomed to serve up the odd upset here or there. Always the handmaiden, never the bride.

A sad situation for a girl who promised so much.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i don't see the motivation to do that. afterall, her potential next day opponents are Tee Jing Yi or Ayane. neither of which the organizer cares about.

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina is participating in the Japan Open, where she is seeded 4; her first round begins 21 September.

Saina will have to be on top of her game from the very first round. She meets Ratchanok Inthanon first off. If she gets past, she will be up against either Salakjit or Fu Mingtian -- neither of them are pushovers.

If she manages to get past them, she will probably be up against Cheng Shao Chieh, who is rediscovering her love for the game! :D

If she manages to beat CSC, she will be up against WSX in the semis.

Almost without exception, all the players she will bump into have been in form that is between really good to great. Saina herself is going through a very unsettled period and does not appear to be coming through with a clear, consistent and positive gameplan. Her physical condition/conditioning is probably also of concern.

I really hope she proves me wrong!!!

17. george@chongwei

They can 'FIX' it if they want to:D

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina prevailed quite comfortably against Inthanon in the round of 32 at the Japan Open.

She will be up against Fu Mingtian of Singapore next. FM has been a constantly improving player and will not be a pushover; she also tends to be more consistent than the mercurial and temperamental Inthanon. But if Saina is fit, she should be able to win the match comfortably enough, nevertheless.

19. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina prevailed over Fu Mingtian in straight games 21-17, 21-16.
    She now advances to the quarter-finals, where another girl from Singapore, Gu Juan is waiting for her.
    They have played once before in 2008, and Saina won in straight games then.

20. george@chongwei

She has a very good chance to advance to the semi final.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.