string moving a lot

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by shong008, May 13, 2010.

1. shong008

shong008 Regular Member

student
    Hey taneepak,

Thank you for the reply. After reading your reply, I can understand why my stringing are moving so much compared to the racket that is strung 6~7 months ago.

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Thank you, taneepak - maybe people won't blame the stringers now:p. String movement, while perhaps annoying, is actually a good thing: it shows the strings haven't "dug" into each other yet and are still fighting fit. It's when the strings stop moving that we should be concerned!

In addition to the newness factor, I would posit that string movement is a way for a new stringbed to equalize all its stresses and strains. When a racket is fresh off the machine all the friction at the main/X interchanges may not be completely uniform, so the strings shuffling around after hits may be the racket's way of evening everything out. Just a theory;).

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You can actually make strings move quite a lot with certain strokes that are not power shots. One is the very fast reverse slice drop, which I saw LD execute on the forehand in his second game against LCW. Another stroke is the cut smash, a fast sliced smash. Also cross-court shots will move the strings more.

4. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Someone mentioned that the more friction a string has the less likely it is to move. However this isn't always the case. If a high friction string has enough force put on it then it will move to a new position and then stay there (unless moved back by a similar force). A lower friction string will begin to slide back so appear not to have moved as much.

For example I find Zymax 62 to have moved more after a rally than bg65 ti, simply because it doesn't slide back to roughly the centre.

Unless the stringer is doing something very wrong I don't think it's the stringers fault. I also agree that no movement is not good. Too much movement can be annoying though, but I find it only happens when I've messed a shot up... Or deliberately sliced it but the former is more often the case...

5. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Assuming perfect world, I would agree. When they stablize, it moves a bit but doesn't really require that kind of adjustment to make it annoying.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Thank you, Matt:D.

I don't want this to sound contentious, but can anybody actually suggest anything that the stringer could do that would lead to excessive string movement? Or, alternatively, anything (s)he could do to prevent it? I do one of mine at 31 and even that has some movement when fresh!

7. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Poor stringing technique can do it - the first would be not straightening the string when it is being tensioned. When this happeneds, the string is at that tension when it is bowed - not straight resulting in inaccurate tension. The second would be, on the final line which would be used as a tie off, hand tension it, not using the machine. How much tension can you pull literally by hand?

I know a stringer who does exactly this - lets just say a lot of people have complained about that stringer and his techniques.
    -----------------------

Preventing, assuming the string job is done properly, ink stencil does help a bit.

#27 Matt, May 16, 2010
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    It is the other way-the more friction a string has, the more bite, and hence the more it will move.

9. Distanc3

Distanc3 Regular Member

stringer for community centers
    Good point Matt :D

Also if the stringer have bad technique(inconsistency) and assume the stringer tensioned 1 or 2 mains slightly lower than all other strings, it will cause those strings to move much easier than the rest.

i have a customer who complains his strings move a lot but he uses slippery strings, low tension, and slices most of his shots. None of my other customers have this problem so i just shrug it off =T

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Ahh I see lol. Well that's good :D

For that stringer in particular the one I was mentioning. He thinks he is doing a good job even thou people have brought this issue with him directly. No changes or improvements, and still strings the same way.

#30 Matt, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  11. maxout

maxout Regular Member

Thank you to all that have posted here, your posts have really helped a lot in understanding why strings move !! :)