Elbow Pain

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Qwsa12341, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Qwsa12341

Qwsa12341 Regular Member

Well it started 6 months ago, I was playing badminton and did a nice back hand and then my elbow started to hurt... I went to the doctors and they took an x-ray and siad that the bone looked a bit sharp and that I was most likely playing too much. So I took a 2 week rest and it was all better. But just last week, I did a clear and then my elbow started to hurt again! It feels like needles inside your elbow but it only happens when I do a back hand or a clear. The thing is that I only play once a week but 6 months ago I played 3 times a week... Is there a possble reason for this pain? (Could I be over extending my arm while doing a backhand?)

THanks

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, on striking the bird, never ever over extend your arm to the point where the elbow joint locks.

And also just in case you do this, never ever do full power dry swings with your racket without hitting the bird. This'll be bad for your joints as the forces are not allowed to dissipate on the bird as it would normally do when you hit a bird.

#2 visor, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  3. Qwsa12341

Qwsa12341 Regular Member

Thanks for the reply...I'll try to avoid over extending...but do you know how to avoid over extending? like aby techniques? Thanks

4. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
  5. Qwsa12341

Qwsa12341 Regular Member

O cool thanks!!

6. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    If is tennis elbow - it cure very fast... if you hurt your ligament inside your elbow.... you need to do Electrotherapy..

7. StefanDO

StefanDO Regular Member

PhD student (Neuropsychology)
    From the description, it pretty much sounded like overextension - and the resulting elbow pain is different from a tennis elbow (which results from overuse). I recommend paying more attention on your elbow, preferably during training (because it's hard to pay attention mainly on your elbow in competitive situations like matches), when you smash, clear, and when you return smashes to your non-racket arm's side (because this is another situation in which you may overextend). Try to always keep the elbow at least slightly bent, for clears you don't need the extra height of shot you would gain by overextension, and for smashes it depends: If you are tall, you probably don't need extra height either to create a good angle. If you are short, you better try to achieve better height by jumping. It takes lots of time to get the right timing for the jump, but it's always better than overextension which must be avoided BY ALL MEANS. For return of smashes to your non-racket arm's side: Make a step towards that side with the leg of your racket's side to shorten the distance between racket and shuttle. This way you don't need to overextend anymore to reach the shuttle.

#7 StefanDO, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  8. ct3833

ct3833 Regular Member

Manager
    Hi TS,
    try to use racket with shaft that is more flex, and watch the tension of your string. Reduce the string by two pound or so. This would help. Until your elbow is fully recovered, you can used back the same tension as before, and change the rackets with shaft to your prefered flex.

9. Qwsa12341

Qwsa12341 Regular Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to work on keeping my elbow bent; tho its sotra hard for a full backhand.

10. Qwsa12341

Qwsa12341 Regular Member

I used a racket with high flex and strung at about 21lbs, but the problem still occurs; The normal racket I use is a stiff racket strung at 26lbs. Is it too much of a change?

11. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

I have this exact problem, it's like a very sharp pain in the elbow that occurs during bad technique of backhand shots (arm stretched out fully) or trying to extend very far to take a smash in your backhand side of the court. I realized what I was doing wrong and I'm trying to be more relaxed with my backhand shots. However, it's been two months but the pain only grows worse. Is there any other way of managing it while the elbow heals? Would an elbow wrap help with this issue?

12. Qwsa12341

Qwsa12341 Regular Member

Well its been a while.. but when I had the pain I just rested for 2 weeks and it went away...Now I'm stopping my self from over extending and it seems to be working. As for the elbow wrap, Im not sure because I havent tried my self but I belive its for support on the elbow so it may help but 1st try to rest the elbow for a bit.