Saina Nehwal : साइना नेहवाल

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

My dear Saina, you have to learn to play safe during critical points. What is the idea doing the high risk tight spinning net shots when you were down 17-19 and 19-20 and blowing your AE chances, not once but two times when Ratchanok was totally out of gas, probably due to the flu. If you had been patient you could have won the second game.

Anyway, hope you learn from this.

2. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
    Is Knee injury the reason of Saina's loss? This is an interesting question actually as the words came from Ratchanok and not from Saina here...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...misses-final-shuttle/articleshow/18885618.cms

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Saina's game has changed. She has added power to her smash but the variation in her game seems less effective. Has her knee injury caused some changes in her style not wanting to keep out of prolonged rallies? For this result in the all england, she seemed over anxious to win points.

#43 Cheung, Mar 9, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  4. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Keeping her knee injury one side, i don't think that would have had affected her game yesterday. The main thing is she ran out of strength during the second game. Because of Ratchanok's unique unorthodox strokes. Actually speaking, Ratchanok seemed to have taken all her strokes in book to finish the game as soon as possible in two games itself because she was out of gas in the middle of the game itself. And also, saina misjudged one shuttle to give the match point to Ratchanok which totally changed the match.

Anyhow, i am very much sure that she was better than Malaysian Open 2013 . If anybody have Saina's post match interview video about the loss, i would really appreciate it..

5. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    As I said earlier, Saina's main threat ain't the Chinese anymore. Its the non-chinese girls.

This was Saina's best chance to win such a prestigious event, with LXR, YW, JYJ and Han Li out early. Wish she could capitalize on it.

By the way, even if she were in the finals, beating Tine Baun would have been tough, though she has done it in the past. Tine is a very different player in this tournament. She had practised a lot for her last (also skipping the group event).

Well played Saina. Reaching semis is not a small achievement.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yep.. Reaching Semifinals in this particular edition of ALL ENGLAND is not a small achievement at all. Having all the top seeds in the women's singles in the first round itself, saina reached the semifinals is a commendable feat. Yesterday's match, if you ask me, Saina acted very like very soft. She did not have smashes in her game as if we saw it when she played against Wang Shixian. You are absolutely correct. She played excellently and marvellously in quarters for 1.30 hours. That match had an effect in her game yesterday. It is clearly visible that she saved her energy a lot without going for smashes all the time in order to cope up for rubber game if she have had won the second game.. Day after tomorrow , she is participating in swiss Open. And again, i wish her to recover atleast to get full rest to come back strongly.:)

7. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

I agree. Drastic changes to her game caused so many unforced errors especially the ones hit out at the baseline. Anyway Ratchanok deserved to win the match. Wish her all the best.

8. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I am bit worried about her knee injury. She need to consult her physio to make her fit for the next tournament. Two time defending champion need to concentrate on her fitness level. I am fully confident in her dedication now and her stupendous retrieving capabilities. She is the best in doing that. I advice her to consult physio and her coach to go for tactics that suits her in the game. Once again i want to thank her for her valuable effort to reach semifinals of All England tournament when many top seeds failed to do so. :)

9. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

If she can play at this level, then the knee injury is not so serious but the thought of injuring severely effect the players, causing them to have second thoughts and slow to react.

Her biggest problem is variety in her game. If she does not play her normal game then she appears very vulnerable. She need to train playing a totally different game and still win it. This will develop a well rounded player who can adapt to any game styles.

Reminds me of LCW, when he is playing his fast attacking game, he is superb. The moment he does not do that, most of the other players can trouble him as clearly evident in AE.

10. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Yes, I was amazed at the court coverage and retrieving capabilities she showed here at AE, Maybe the motivation was there!! She is almost there just about a little bit slow.
    If she could induce some more pace thats it and also prepare against a few select targeted players & their playing styles more often...

11. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Veteran Shuttler Tine Baun's words about Saina Nehwal. I just want to share this to you.

Saina Nehwal's time will come, says Tine Baun

http://articles.timesofindia.indiat...7622727_1_saina-nehwal-tine-baun-wang-shixian

EXCERPTS:

One of the world's greatest shuttlers - the former world No. 1 and three-time All England champion Tine Baun has said it is just a matter of time before India's Saina Nehwal adds the coveted title to her collection.

Speaking to TOI, 33-year-old Dane Tine Baun said Nehwal has age on her side and "is playing very well." Baun, who actually lost to Saina in the London Olympics that helped the Indian world No. 3 reach the semifinal, told TOI "Saina is a fast and upcoming shuttler and has a very good chance to win the All England Championship."

According to Baun, Saina's semifinal effort against Ratchanok looked "like a tired effort." "You could tell that Saina was tired from the quarterfinal match. I know she was facing difficulty with her injured knees," Baun added.

Yes Baun. She has been struggling with her injured knees for long time. I really feel sorry for her :(.

I want Sindhu to attain the top level soon and support Saina. She needs maturity to handle top 10 players. Her passive playing needed to be changed . We all expect Sindhu to support Saina in this category soon and make us proud.:)

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    With respect, I have followed a lot of report from The Times of India, and I find them at times questionable. There has been a history of embellishing the truth and sensationalising facts or events out of proportion. Let me quote the link that scorpion1 just posted above.

Would Tine ever say something like "Saina is a fast and upcoming shuttler..."? I seriously doubt it. Tine knows that Saina has been in the top echelon for a long while. "Fast and Upcoming?" Really?

Tine has been quoted as saying, "She won that match after a long drawn-out battle with scored ending at 23-21, 19-21, 21-16...." Again I find this hard to swallow; would Tine have actually memorised the points?

There have been other instances in the past as well when TOI's "reporting" has been a bit suspect and over-the-top. When I look for badminton-related news from India I much prefer The Hindu, The Indian Express, The Deccan Chronicle, Firstpost and some others.

13. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Sometimes it will be hard to believe some of the news published by TOI . But this time i don't think it will be a faulty one. Tine has been in out of form for long time and she regained her full form recently and won the All England title. Hence , there is a possibility of slip of tongue sometimes in over joyed situation. Saina is already a very well established player known to whole world. She is being in Top 5 for nearly 2 years. If this news is one to be questioned, i will ensure you all that i will post the same news published by some other notable dailies soon once it is out :). I am really sorry if i misled anybody in this matter.

#53 scorpion1, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You have not intentionally misled, so it is not your fault, scorpion1 :) We come to recognise patterns in reporting agencies and publishers after a while. I had in fact stressed this point more than once in the old Saina thread as well. But it is good that you will take notice of this for future reference.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Here is a more credible report.

No Chinese puzzle, yet Saina Nehwal stumbles

Published: Sunday, Mar 10, 2013, 10:00 IST
    By G Krishnan | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report...umbles_1809418

Excerpts:

...Ratchanok’s progress has been impressive. What does her win signify? It is perhaps a case of other countries checking the Chinese dominance. That there were eight different nationals in the women’s singles quarterfinal line-up proves that the Chinese are gradually looking beatable.

Maybe it was thought that Saina would have it easy since the Chinese were not in the fray in the final stages of the tournament. But that wasn’t the case.

Saina herself has admitted that other nations have caught up, and it’s not just about Chinese dominance anymore.

After the semifinal, Saina’s mentor P Gopichand told DNA from Birmimgham that “one could not underestimate any player”. “At this level, and with the way things are going, you cannot take anybody for granted. These matches prove that it is anybody’s game. It is how well you play on that day and how lucky you are that matter. I thought, in the end, Saina was not lucky with a couple of shots,” Gopichand said.

“It was a very close match that could have gone either way,” Gopichand said. “Credit to Ratchanok, she was quick with the end points.”

Gopi disagreed that Saina was tired after Friday’s encounter against Shixian. “Fitness wise, Saina was okay. In fact, Ratchanok played her quarterfinal after Saina. I thought Saina hurried up a little bit in the end. She just had to put the shuttle at the other side and wait.”

Gopi said that they were prepared for a tough fight from the Thai teenager. “Both fought well, it was neck and neck. Saina lost but she is young and will come back stronger in the next tournament.”

16. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Oh... India doesnt has a world news agency like BBC which has its own journalists & reporters everywhere, & hence has to share news, no matter wherever you go they have the same news content, For a news they all have the same content to copy from as base and specific editors might add a line or two or do some modifications here and there but thats it ultimately. One off instances when TOI might actually fund a reporter to go to AE arena and get an interview from TB herself, when the players have to fight to get funded to participate ;)

17. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

Two time defending champion Saina Nehwal, has her opening match against French, Sashina Vignes Waran. If she overcomes the first two hurdules, she could get a chance to avenge her defeat against Tai Tzu Ying (who beat her in MO semis). In semi Final she could face WSX or YJB. If we go by head-to-head record, Saina has better head to head record against every other player in the draw, except Jiang Yanjiao.
    All the best to her, She always does good there. Hope she completes the hat trick of titles in Switzerland.

18. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Beating Tai would be as tough as beating Inthanon. Tai is very fast. The new non-Chinese nemeses of Saina are the trio of Tai, Inthanon and Mitani. And ofcourse JYJ from China too. Its commendable how she has to study everybody's game and play accordingly.

19. gopalprasad

Software Architect

And since we are talking about preparing, do as well for WYH and LXR too... Mitani I would rate a bit low for now... I have seen her being single dimensional, so its comparatively easier, similarily for TTY its relatively easier.... but the others you mentioned have troubled SN.
    I should have kept this to Swiss Open... Come'On SN grab the third here this time!!

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Yes.. Saina won Tai Tzu ying in straight sets. Last time, Saina when she lost to Tai Tzu Ying, lots of Saina's fans worried about her fitness and her bulky structure. She has reduced her bulkiness and proved that she is better than TTY at any time(We can't judge by simply seeing one time loss of a World Class player like Saina). Yesterday, she was at her very best. Nice to see her going for high serve all the time:). She completely dominated the court. Tai got no answers yesterday:(.